Why are jetfins so good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Forget about force fins and split fins, I'm curious how come the jets are considered the best even among paddle fins? And why hasn't anyone improved on the design, say by modernizing the foot pockets for example? (well, maybe the Japanese have...)

What about then OMS jets (slipstreams), they look like jets but are supposedly made of lighter, neutrally buoyant Monoprene resin? Is that an improvement?

slipstream-fin.jpg

Or what about the IDI/XS scuba frog foot fins for open water diving? They are made of the heavy black rubber compound DIR divers like, but with longer blades than the jets and no vents.

frog.jpg

And has anyone tried the Scubapro jet fin revos?

2.jpg

I started with a pair of Rockets back in the 70's. I loved them then, and still do, but when fatigued I got cramps. I tried a pair of FF Pros and have never gotten cramps, so I almost use them exclusively now. The only time I pull my Rockets out, are when I have long surface swims, or a ripping current.
I think what makes the Jetfins ( and Rockets) so effective is the louvers (sp) right after the foot pocket. It cuts the water better but still propels the swimmer well. The IDI/XS scuba frog foot fins look like a pair of Akona Marathons I used once. They felt like I had barnboards on my feet, and caused me to tire. Notice I said "once".
I love to post about my Force fins, and "badger" those that hate them, but in all seriousness, I could care less what you use as long as they work for you. To each their own.
I close with a (paraphrased) quote from Obi Wan Kenobi "May the Force(fins) be with you." :)
C-Dawg

I just got the Slips and luv em, alot of ppl have the problem with the sizing of the jets b/c there is such a gap in the boot size from XL to XXL and if your diving wet and dry depending on conditions the foot pocket size becomes a prob, plus the top part of your foot hurts b/c they dig in

Vtdiver2:
I close with a (paraphrased) quote from Obi Wan Kenobi "May the Force(fins) be with you." :)
C-Dawg

My gf loves her force fins too, but they seem to be shunned by most tech/DIR divers - I did a search for them on thedecostop.com and only found only a few tech divers who admitted to using them along with a bunch of negative comments about them. Most tech divers seem to think that they aren't very efficient for the frog kick, which looking at their (force fin pro) short, flexible, upwards curled blades seems intuitive.

The Chad:
I just got the Slips and luv em, alot of ppl have the problem with the sizing of the jets b/c there is such a gap in the boot size from XL to XXL and if your diving wet and dry depending on conditions the foot pocket size becomes a prob, plus the top part of your foot hurts b/c they dig in

How do you think the lighter material of the slips (compared to jets) affects performance?

I really diden't notice, I tried the jets (from a dive buddy) both the XL and the XXL and had more problems with the fit than anything else. I'm a size 12. I like the fact that they are lighter and I feel my feet are more netural while hanging doing deco. As far as speed, I'm not a racer but one kick cycle keeps me with my wife who does 2 to 3 sissor kicks, hope that helps

*Floater*:
My gf loves her force fins too, but they seem to be shunned by most tech/DIR divers - I did a search for them on thedecostop.com and only found only a few tech divers who admitted to using them along with a bunch of negative comments about them. Most tech divers seem to think that they aren't very efficient for the frog kick, which looking at their (force fin pro) short, flexible, upwards curled blades seems intuitive.

My instructor, is a tech diver and so is his wife. They were married in the grotto in Ginny Springs. He is a member of Colchester Rescue, recognized as one of the best rescue squads in Vt, and called upon all over the state. Both he and his wife swear by the FF for all of their tech diving, and he is the one who first got me to try them.
I can't quite understand the statement that they aren't efficient for frog kicking, as I do that all the time, along with bicycle kicks etc when I need to manuever. Taking photos, I have found them to be the best for manueverability, as I can go forward, back up, pivot and go sideways, just with the use of different strokes, something I wasn't as adept at with other fins.
Having used them for wreck penetrations, I think they are awesome, as they are shorter ( being 6'3" this is a good thing), have good thrust yet manueverable, all things you want in an enviroment like that.
As I posted before, the only times I don't use my FF Pros is when I have a long surface swim or a ripping currrent. The Pros were not designed for surface swimming, unless you roll onto your back. As for a ripping current, you could use FFs, but I wouldn't recommend Pros, but Foils or Extremes.
My LDS promotes the Force Fin, and many, if not most of the staff and instructors use them. Therefore, many of the divers that go thru their classes learn to see them in a positive light. Now, take another shop, where the staff doesn't sell or use them, and you'll see the opposite effect, and I think that's what has happened to the Force Fin.
With tech diving, I feel comfort breeds confidence. Therefore, each diver should use gear they are comfortable with. Sadly, FFs kinda remind me of Dale Earnhardt, the New York Yankees or online scuba retailers...you either love 'em or hate 'em, with rarely anyone in between.
Those that say they hate them, I really wonder if they gave them a fair shot, or went into it expecting to hate them. Anyways.....Nuff said. :wink:
C-Dawg

Vtdiver2:
I started with a pair of Rockets back in the 70's.

While they do look similar, Rockets are nothing like Jets.

Rescue services here use Force Fins so I´m sure they are good for something...I have a sneaking suspicion that it´s because you can still walk "normally" with them on but I may be wrong...I´ve tried them and I don´t think they´re bad...

I liked the fins I had before I tried Jets (AL Blades) but the Jets are just a cut above all other fins I have tried. I´m not saying that they are "best", I´m saying they´re best for me and they were from the moment I put them on. I like their "solidness", weight and the control I have with them. The only time I dive anything else is when I´m trying out another fin, so far I´ve always been relieved to go back...In current in the red sea I was doing full frogs while all the others were doing "all out flutters", split fins were being "bent" etc...

There may be a better fin out there (I make no claim to having tried all models) but for me, and especially for dives with a high "workload", there´s no fin I´d rather have on my feet...

ymmv

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom