Why are jetfins so good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*:
The GUE fin requirement simply states: "fins should be rigid, non-split," but everyone seems to use jetfins or turtles. I don't know if force fins would qualify as rigid (maybe the tan deltas?), but I doubt any instructor would care if you were actually able to effectively do all the alternate kicks with them.

I've never tried force fins, everyone I see using them is flutter kicking like mad.

I bet they could frog + mod-frog, but something about them seems like it would be hard to bring the blades togther for the start of a backwards kick.

I used some Tusa blades for awhile before I switched to jets. They worked ok, but were too long for a number of kicks. Backwards was very hard in them and mod-frog really worked over my ankles and calves.

Turtles have a foot pocket big enough to drive my car into, so I can't say I've tried them. I really don't see any deficiencies in Jets or their clones. What problem would another fin solve?

MBH:
vtdiver2 didn't opt in.

I'll take his slot. Everybody has to start somewhere.
Sorry, was watching a hockey game.....UVM vs Maine Black Bears...it's intermission.

Soggy:
They don't say that there is only one way to do things, but there is only one way of doing things within a DIR team. There is a big difference there. Even if you choose not to continue with the DIR philosophy afterwards, I can guarantee you that DIRF will be one of the best classes you ever take. You just might learn something.
I'm sure you're right, I most definitely would learn new techniques and I'm not so arrogant to think I know better than everyone else. As I posted before, I did see some very informative videos on their site. But, I just don't see myself drinking the Kool-Aid.
To each their own....if it works for you, great.

I'm still waiting to hear what the difference is between the JETS and ROCKETS. Is it materials, angle of fin, louvers, what? What am I missing having dove Rockets and not Jets?
C-Dawg
PS...I'm going back to the game, will check back in about an hour....GO CATS!!!

You wanna see a stock DIR fin that came out in the mid 1970's. It was the first fin with a spring strap (I was using them in the pool today) I like them much better than Jets:

DSCN1171.jpg

Walter:
Jets are the best fins I've ever used, Rockets are one on the worst. They are much more difficult to use.

Jets are ALMOST the best fins that I've used. A Rockets are really bad.
Good full footpocket freedive fins propel me through the water much more efficiently than jet fins.

Plus I think the slow steady kick of a big freedive fin looks much more relaxed than a much faster flutter kick. I think the slow kick is less threatening to fish

Vtdiver2:
Ok, but why? As you state, they look very similar.....what makes one great and the other, as you say "the worst". Materials? Angle the fin comes off the foot pocket? Size of louvers?
I've used Rockets and like them. Why would I like Jets more if I got the chance to use them?
Just trying to understand.
C-Dawg

I don't know why the jet fins are so much better. If I knew how to make fins maybe I would. All I can say is try a pair of jet fins and compare to the USD Rockets. Maybe try one on one foot and the other type on the other foot? My opnion has nothing to do with DIR, I figured this out on my own about 25 years ago.

Thalassamania:
You wanna see a stock DIR fin that came out in the mid 1970's. It was the first fin with a spring strap (I was using them in the pool today) I like them much better than Jets:

DSCN1171.jpg

An absolute POS fin. Mostly clay and filler and some cheap rubber compound. I was working at Farallon at the time. Went diving with this "board" many times. It was a massive failure. Farallon went bankrupt shortly after its introduction.

I rather like them. What put Farallon under what the decompression computer not the fins (not even those atrocities with the ankle brace). But I find it interesting, in the sprint strap that Ralph was so far out ahead.

Thalassamania:
I rather like them. What put Farallon under what the decompression computer not the fins (not even those atrocities with the ankle brace). But I find it interesting, in the sprint strap that Ralph was so far out ahead.
The "Decomposer" was, of course, a big mess. If you like the fins, good, most did not. The company lost tons of money before Bob Hollis purchased what was left.

Vtdiver2:
Ok, but why? As you state, they look very similar.....what makes one great and the other, as you say "the worst". Materials? Angle the fin comes off the foot pocket? Size of louvers?
I've used Rockets and like them. Why would I like Jets more if I got the chance to use them?
Just trying to understand.
C-Dawg

I don't know why Jets are so much better. Just looking at them, I'd expect them to give similar results, but I've used both and there's no comparison.

dumpsterDiver:
Jets are ALMOST the best fins that I've used. A Rockets are really bad.
Good full footpocket freedive fins propel me through the water much more efficiently than jet fins.

I agree when I'm free diving, but when I add the extra mass of SCUBA, it's like those cartoon characters whose legs are spinning but can't seem to get moving.

I hate those huge pics, they screw up the entire page.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom