DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone agree with me this thread is worthless yet?

It’s just a place for people with no experience with what they’re talking about to spout nonsense they heard at a dive site while stuffing their long hose and putting their 80/20 bottle on their right side just to spite a 70 year old man who quit diving in 2003
It was worthless when I started it. Your point was sort of the whole point. It’s been almost a year since it started

@mariosx
Mario, I was merely responding to your claim that gue does bad marketing. I see that you're either not willing or able to understand what I've been trying to explain to you. Maybe because you're a very very young person, I don't know.
When you try to make a distinction between 'organization' and 'company' in this contex and point out 'industry are not costumers', it tells me that you're not understanding what I've been trying to explain. Your personal experience or youtube subscription numbers have no bearing on anything I said. And I don't feel like you've been making a good faith attempt to understand what I said either. You could have tried to read the wiki article I suggested.
I don't know what else to tell you, other than maybe consider that other people you don't know, know stuff you don't.
Again, I just tried to tell you how gue does great marketing and it has nothing to do with you.
I'm not attacking you or gue. Don't come at me with another wall of text, please.

I wanna go back to the fun stuff now and hear about Harry's second class. That's the stuff I'm here for.
I respect the work of the mods in this subforum more than my enjoyment of typing obvious answers, so I 'll stop feeding the trolls.
(I am assuming trolling as the best case scenario)

P/S: I didn't attacked you regarding marketing. I disagreed with your statements.
Over'n'out.

I wanna go back to the fun stuff now and hear about Harry's second class. That's the stuff I'm here for.

I've give you an itty bit.

After GUE-F I went home and worked on the back kick. It was quite a surprise for to be introduced to the back kick in GUE-F. As a new diver I never heard of that kick before. So there I was in GUE-F, in doubles for the first time, with an oversized wing that taco'd like hell and made it difficult to manage my trim, with the instructor giving me great instruction like "Just back kick."

So I went home and felt that I was just getting the hang of the back kick when I returned for my continuation of fundies. But I knew of no one else who could teach me the back kick, so I fully expected my instructor would help me out since at least I could back up a little bit. I now understood the mechanics but need help with the actual performance of the kick.

So my instructor takes me out into an open-water channel with a strong current. He puts my back to the current and says he's gonna test me on air-sharing drills. Of course, I'm fighting like hell to back kick into the strong current and perform air-sharing drills at the same time. Every time I drift forward into my instructor he shoved me away from him. Not a gentle hands on my arms and push, but instead he was giving me very hard, sharp, quick shoves that felt pretty angry to me. Shoves that you do not give to anyone except an enemy. I felt like someone in a bar was trying to pick a fight with me.

The verbal abuse had progressed to physical abuse. We ended the dive and I never went back.

Man this thread is getting dumber and dumber all because a couple people are on a mission to sh-t on gue over the dumbest reasons like marketing and complete inaccuracies. As has been said, look at PADI's marketing. Deep Dive Dubai is not owned by GUE (a nonprofit not a for profit corporation). Sure there are some big name GUE people associated with it, but it's not a GUE owned property/dive site. While I'm not a big fan of the excess associated with filling a pool that size with water, it does look pretty cool. On top of that there is some interesting research happening there and planned to happen there in the future from people like DAN (not GUE).
If you have an environmental issue with deep dive dubai, I get it. But it's the UAE. The sheiks putting their money into it are gettting all that money from OIL. The negative environmental impacts of deep dive dubai are paled in comparison to the oil industry that supports the pool and all of Dubai.

To claim GUE doesn't make conservation a priority definitely shows those claiming it have no idea what they're talking about. GUE is spearheading conservation efforts all over the world. What's IANTD and TDI doing about conservation other than making you talk about it in your cave class? Is PADI doing anything in the realm of conservation? Not that I can see. If padi just started to teach people how to dive without touching, kneeling on, or kicking reefs we'd be alot better off.

Every page of this thread makes me realize why George liked calling people strokes. Just some dumb stuff happening here from people who are on a mission to talk bad for the sake of talking bad.

I was kidding with the scientology references, @rddvet.
Saying that they do great marketing and are better at it than the other agengies like IANTD or Naui is not sh_ting on them.

I've met, dove with and got drunk with cool gue people but also met a fair share of gue jerks over the years. They're not a homogeneous group in my experience.

I was kidding with the scientology references, @rddvet.
Saying that they do great marketing and are better at it than the other agengies like IANTD or Naui is not sh_ting on them.

I've met, dove with and got drunk with cool gue people but also met a fair share of gue jerks over the years. They're not a homogeneous group in my experience.
same with strokes

same with strokes
Definitely, but they don't have matching t-shirts. The CDG strokes from the UK or the French strokes are on average much nicer and funnier people than the German and Dutch GUE crowd.
You should come and dive french cave country some time and drop by some quarries on the way. I think it's a different experience than in what you have in GUE homeland.

The verbal abuse had progressed to physical abuse. We ended the dive and I never went back.
Calling that 'physical abuse' is laying it on a bit too thick. This report does't sound 10 times worse... the first one sounded worse.
Actually my IANTD Trimix class was much worse than that looking back. My instructor yelled at people, folded over my inhale membrane at night so my o2 reg drew water, closed the valve for the backup reg during drills, ripped our masks off, talked mad sh_t on every debrief about how we were going to die etc. ... he tried to make people quit and bragged about only 30% of students would finish his class. This was not that unsusual 15 or so years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom