Why can't this work in an OOA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More like paying a hooker and not using protection. The money saved is very little compared to what you already spent, and just as risky. The only real difference is the amount of time it will take you to die. :eek:

Nah, it is more like... what you gonna do with THAT... HERE?

Imagine, if you will, a world of bail-out tanks where regulators don't exist; where sucking on a valve is accepted as normal. Now enters a diver, a rogue swimmer who attaches an easy-breathing device to the valve. You my friend have just entered the SB Twilight Zone.

The inverse thread would be an interesting counterpoint.

I typically imagine that such people would assume they understand the rigors of a combat patrol in Kandahar, because they play HALO every night and are well regarded in their local paintball circuit....

I agree. You're only really ready if you've prestiged on Modern Warfare 3

I typically imagine that such people would assume they understand the rigors of a combat patrol in Kandahar, because they play HALO every night and are well regarded in their local paintball circuit....

I hate to break the news to you, but the military is recruiting those guys heavily as drone pilots.

flots.

Just how different would this be compared to breathing from a free flowing regulator?

I hate to break the news to you, but the military is recruiting those guys heavily as drone pilots.

flots.

Big difference in being in an office flying a drone and out on a patrol though. The military recruits a lot of different types of people, but that does not mean they have or will ever have any clue what boots on the ground is like.

Just how different would this be compared to breathing from a free flowing regulator?

In respect to this thread, and what the OP proposed, that isn't really the critical issue. What matters, from a safety perspective, is only "how different would this be compared to breathing from a working regulator?". The answer - much harder and much more stressful.

Adding complexity and stress, as a pre-mediated emergency resolution strategy is moronic. Any contingency put into place for a high-stress, high-risk incident should be aa simple and straight-forward as possible. It should remove stress, not add to it.

If you were going to carry extra equipment as a contingency against emergency scenarios, then you'd carry something effective.

You'd also be wise to consider that the role of that equipment isn't 'just' to deliver air... but also to help mitigate against the psychological and physical stressors inherent with the foreseen scenario.

Very. With a free-flowing regulator, you can keep your mouth closed around the mouthpiece. The extra air simply vents through the exhaust diaphragm. Not so here.

In theory, certainly. But why in a planned dive?
Why carry an extra tank around underwater?
How? In a sling? With no reg? Seriously????:confused:
Go for it...:wink:

Strait from the valve you're getting air at the pressure that is in the tank, say 3000 PSI, a regulator, well, regulates that pressure down to an intermediate pressure, something around 150 PSI, that's a regulator's 1st stage job, the 2nd stage is there to reduce the pressure further down, from intermediate pressure to ambient pressure, to where we can comfortably breath from.

A free flowing regulator is more related to an increase in volume of air than increased pressure, we can tilt our heads back an drink from a fully opened bottle of water because we can regulate the amount of water with our lips, but if we were to hold that bottle an inch away from our lips and hold it vertically I'm not sure many people can still drink without spilling the excess that is pouring into their mouths.

Back
Top Bottom