Why DIN Valves??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on where you dive, but in the US and the Caribbean, yoke is so widespread that you will have to use an adapter a fair amount of time

The rest of the planet though every tank ive seen has DIN convertible valves (just screw an insert with an allen key if you want dinosaur or remove if not).

Florida was the only place ive ever been where i had to use my DIN>Dinosaur adaptor. And come to think of it the only place ive been where i had to use an aluminium tank for back gas.

Edit:- for more discussion on M26 including a very well written risk assessment for NOT using it see here:
http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/regulators-cylinders/63495-risk-assessment-not-using-m26.html

Last edited:
Leave it to the EU to mess up a good thing. Germany just has that gift to make their live more miserable.

While you have a point here, I would like to remind you that that German tendency to make "our lives more miserable" has also resulted in bringing German engineering to where it is. Yes, we do have a tendency to make our lives miserable a lot of times, but at least our plugs don't fall out of the wall socket if someone nearby happens to sneeze....:wink:

Alright techies, I’ve got a question…I am a very active recreational diver who likes to take advice from technical divers… I am about to get a new regulator and am debating DIN fittings VS traditional yoke…. I am under the impression that DIN valves are more failsafe, and therefore more reliable then a standard yoke valve. Is this a correct assumption?? I know they can handle higher pressures and are better for HP cylinders, but are they safer to use then yoke???

Thanks all and Dive safe…

Steve W

DIN is a more secure connection and does not as much entanglement as DIN.

But, I'd recommend getting the Yoke and then buying the conversion kit to DIN. I found it more difficult to obtain a Yoke. My travel regulator is a Scubapro MK25 and when I go on vacation I have my LDS switch it from DIN to Yoke.

Why you ask? Most rental tanks as you have read do not DIN capabilities so, two reasons I like the actual yoke are: 1) I went to the Bahamas and not until I was on the dive boat and hooked up my tank did I realize the DIN O-Ring was missing. 2) Using the a yoke adapter extends the 1st stage and hits me in the back of the head.

Mating fill whips and regulators to a DIN valve means mating threads. You have no control over whip condition or fill person finesse. The next thing to screw into it will be your regulator threads. The connection to a yoke valve is the mating of surfaces essentially and not a lot can get botched up.

Pete

Sounds like a good case for doing a temp. install of the yoke inserts, to avoid fill monkey damage. That way if the threads get any damage, you have only yourself to thank.

My two cents - check them out. Look at it, connect a tank to a regulator with each of them. There is no question that the DIN valve is a more positive connection. They will also require more and different maintenance; salt deposits in the threads can happen easily (salt spray on the tanks in transit) and must be rinsed. Vinegar is best to get salt deposits off those bad boys. If you don't, screwing in the regulator will get scratchy.

Hi,

The DIN thread is G 5/8", M25x2 is the thread in the (European) tank neck.

M26x2 (aka Euro-Nitrox) is an EN (European standard) pushed by the industry. This time the Germans are as innocent as the rest. It's imho an absolutely obsolete thing.

The way most german technical divers go is to ignore M26x2 (like the rest of the world). We still use G 5/8". To be honest I've only seen one diver using M26x2 on his stages and this one was a fresh certified SSI TXR diver. He told us his instructor told him to buy the valves.

To make an EU-according filling the procedure is:

1. Screw an oxygen valve in the tank (cause M26x2 is not allowed for pure oxygen)
2. Fill in the required amount of O2
3. Unscrew the oxygen valve, cover the opening of the tank with your flat hand, screw an inertgas valve in the tank
4. Fill in the amount of He
5. Unscrew the inertgas valve, cover the opening of the tank with your flat hand, screw an air valve in the tank
6. Top the mix with air
7. If the content of oxygen is 21% or below you can use the air valve. If not (e.g. Triox), unscrew the air valve, cover the opening of the tank with your flat hand, screw an EU-Nitrox valve in your tank.

Happy diving

...salt deposits in the threads can happen easily (salt spray on the tanks in transit) and must be rinsed. [...] If you don't, screwing in the regulator will get scratchy.

This is not really an issue :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom