• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Why do Dive Centers and Professionals do it to themselves?

Discussion in 'Business of Diving Institute' started by Industry Outsider, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Heat Miser

Heat Miser Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Thanks .... v. v. good:):)

The Chairman likes this.
  2. Sam Miller III

Sam Miller III Scuba Legend Scuba Legend

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    @divinh
    "This was exactly the scenario I recalled when I wrote my response. I might have read Dr. Bill's or one of your posts about LA Co UIA being "unknown", while being one of the firsts. "
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FYI
    It is important to recall and record history - but doing accurately for those who follow

L:A CO Underwater Instructor association was the FRIST ! Estabished in 1954

LA Co Instructors led by Neil Hess, an LA Co UW instructor prior to his untimely early death in 1959 promoted a "National dive patrol" via the pages of the only magazine available "Skin diver magazine ; a magazine for spear fishermen and skin divers" with LA Co UW instructor and NAUI "A Instructor" Jim Auxier aa a founder and the magazine's editor

The great LA Co UW Instructor Al Tillman, one of the great organizers of the diving world organized the first NAUI course presented at the Underwater Society of America (USA) convention in Houston Texas in August 1960.

NAUI required established experienced instructors to guide and booster their ranks, so the "Associate" aka A instructor was established - only a few qualified most were from LA Co. Only two remain Me at #27 and Zale Parry, #10 who is @Dr bill s close personal friend as well as @Dr bill basic instructor Ron Merker who was also an A instructor.

In 1964 I was alarmed at the instructor and diver drop out so I conducted an extensive year long study which resulted in a 23 page flip chart (the 1964 power point) titled "Instructor & diver retention"
    This study recognized that at that early date and even with the tremendous effort required to become LA Co UW instructors there were drop outs. I proposed a Instructor /diver classification recognition be established. The proposal was rejected by LA Co - "if you are LA Co certified YOU ARE a instructor and you are a diver ( no truer word were ever spoken)

For my concern and effort I was awarded the first "Outstanding contributions to UW Instruction" and given a lovely wood plaque which is currently displayed on the wall of my den.

The late Art Ulrich. the director of NAUI, presented my proposal to NAUI which was also rejected by the powers of NAUI at that time.

In the winter of 1969 I was scheduled to go back to Downers Grove Illinois to be a component of a proposed NAUI Instructors course. There was a heave snow storm. Meigs field only Chicago air port was closed so it was assumed that the course would be cancelled- wrong !

The assembled group lead by Ralph Erickson, Bob Chow and the US Divers Chicago rep John Cronin formed PADI on the spot.

The same year, 1969 I was acclaimed the "Outstanding LA County Underwater instructor of the Year for 1969" - and also have a plaque hanging on the wall

The PADI organization was contained in a box until John was promoted to US Diver GM and he moved to Orange county.

He pulled the late Nic Icorn, LA Co UW instructor off the drafting board and made him the first director of a card board box titled PADI-

There is a lot more buit lets stop here for now ...
    But remember just about every thing that ever happened in diving can be traced directly back to LA Co or LA Co UW instructors

SDM

3. FindingMenno

FindingMenno PADI Pro

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I applaud that PADI is trying to diversify their business model, including hopefully an increased focus on diver retention. As they did with the acquisition of the Bonnier dive publications as an extra means to communicate with divers.
    However I hope that this not come at the risk that they become the juggernaut in the travel industry. A monopoly like this has a risk of higher cost/commission to 'destination' dive shops, as well as an extra dependancy to PADI to have business come their way. Basically migrating some of the profit now generated by 'destination' dive shops to PADI travel.
    Yes, as you might have less direct bookings you might save some marketing and cost of sale on that segment. However in my opinion and experience from a 'destination' dive shop, the cost/effort of sales is actually often higher with wholesale bookings, the volumes are relatively small, and you still need to work on direct marketing to ensure brand recognition and awareness. In a nutshell, wholesale bookings are often more work and generate less than direct bookings.

For a long time there was a business model promoted by training agencies to provide training at cost or a small loss. The idea being that a dive shop could then generate profit on on gear sales and travel. The training agencies of course benefitted as this created more students - more income in study materials and certifications fees.

As a result I feel a low price perception of diving was created, which is not beneficial for both 'local' and 'destination' dive shops. At the same time these potential profits are also harder to achieve - divers go more and more online to purchase gear and book trips.
    Parallel to this I see a more common development in younger generations - they are more 'experiential', one year they try scuba, the next year paragliding. They seem less interested in focusing on one hobby/sport than the older generations.

All in all a large group of divers 'passes through the gate' for a cheap OW course and maybe a few fun dives, to be never seen again. This thus at little financial benefit for the dive shops, but it is good business for the training agencies. Indeed the low hanging fruit you mention.

Let me state that I have nothing against the training agencies. They have done a great job of making diving more popular and accessible. Their marketing might is also admirable and good for our sport. Also I feel that creating more new divers is a great thing, without that pool of customers there is not much to develop.

However the training agencies chasing the low hanging fruit has impacted the industry in such a way, that the areas where all the dive shop could generate profit such as a higher price perception, and stronger focus on repeat/fun diving, have been sacrificed in chasing that new diver and the profit it generates for the training agency. There I feel the interests of training agencies and dive shops are not fully aligned, and can indeed 'hurt' the shops.

Bob DBF likes this.
  4. divinh

divinh Photographer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Thanks for this bit of history! I did not know LA Co UW was the *first*!

(And surprisingly, I know where Downers Grove, IL is, having visited there for the first time last October.)