Why do I need a Nitrox certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jm:
Yes, it does. Perhaps one day it will be.
Never happen. The agencies are hellbent on shortening courses by moving material to separately priced products.

Never happen. The agencies are hellbent on shortening courses by moving material to separately priced products.

I don't know. Nitrox may turn into a way to get people thinking about taking tech diving before they have even put on a set of gear, if incorporated into the OW course with a corresponding sales pitch. A marketing loss leader, of sorts. It will turn into a real loss leader, if people move into the tech realm before learning how to be competent recreational divers first. Besides with the creation of a diving level between Try Diving and Open Water Diver ( think SCUBA Diver) they may need to motivate people to step up in certification and this would be one way to do it. All it will take is one of the smaller certification agencies to incorporate Nitrox into their Open Water cert and the rest will eventually do so to compete.

jm:
I don't know. Nitrox may turn into a way to get people thinking about taking tech diving before they have even put on a set of gear, if incorporated into the OW course with a corresponding sales pitch. A marketing loss leader, of sorts. It will turn into a real loss leader, if people move into the tech realm before learning how to be competent recreational divers first. Besides with the creation of a diving level between Try Diving and Open Water Diver ( think SCUBA Diver) they may need to motivate people to step up in certification and this would be one way to do it. All it will take is one of the smaller certification agencies to incorporate Nitrox into their Open Water cert and the rest will eventually do so to compete.
Nitrox has nothing to do with tech.

Andy -- THANK YOU for a great laugh.

OuterReef -- And just where do you think I had my tongue when I wrote about my "30 Second Nitrox Class?" (NOT a Three Minute one -- that's just for the very slow learners.)

In fact, as a PADI Instructor, I teach my 30 Second Nitrox Class through PADI -- I then spend another 6 hours going over other stuff to fill out the time -- but it's just like kindergarten -- that's all they ever need to learn!

Thal -- I agree with you that Nitrox should be (and can be) part of the basic OW class just like using a Dry Suit should be part of the basic OW class (and of course I'm referring to a basic O.W. class here in the Salish Sea). I'll be starting a basic OW class next week and perhaps I'll see about convincing the students to add those two things to the class. Yes, there would be additional charges (for the materials at least), but the students would certainly come out ahead if they'd agree to a little more time in the classroom and a little more time in the pool and Sound. In my last OW class, I told my students that IF they opted for dry suits, I'd donate my time -- 5 of the 6 students took me up on that and all 5 have bought dry suits. Maybe that's a clue for the shop owner!

Nitrox Level 1 exists where divers are taught to analyse and dive Nitrox with an air profile to a maximum depth. I'm happy to teach and dive OW divers with this Nitrox Level 1.

In many recreational diving areas, N32 is the standard mix and 30m is the maximum depth. I see no problem for divers to dive Nitrox under these conditions especially because as a guide, I don't approach 30m unless I have dived with the divers and am happy that they know how to dive beyond the level of many 'certified but not qualified' recreational divers.

*there are some dives (I'm specifically thinking about Jackson Outside, Tiran, Egypt) without bottom or natural reference and a good reason (hammerheads) to dive to 30m. This type of diving is not suited for Nitrox for any but the most experienced of divers IMO

I've just completed my PADI nitrox course, and I consider it money and time well spent.

There may be divers experienced enough and smart enough to figure out nitrox use by themselves, or lucky enough to be guided by a divemaster that does all their dive planning, or who dive so conservatively that they never approach the limits imposed by its use, or who just never feel the need to use nitrox at all. I don't feel I'm any of these.

Anybody who _does_ believe they fall into the category of divers that don't need professional training or certification, good luck to you, though I hope you never need it.

It's what you don't know that can kill you. I don't know of anyone who has passed from too much knowlege. Stay safe and keep diving!!

There may be divers experienced enough and smart enough to figure out nitrox use by themselves, or lucky enough to be guided by a divemaster that does all their dive planning

:signofcross:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom