Why do I need a Nitrox certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. You go to pick up your nitrox tank at the dive shop and it is labeled 35.2% O2. You should plan to dive with this nitrox mixture to a maximum depth of:
a. 99 feet
b. 95 feet
c. 90 feet
d. I don't know the answer

I presume this is a trick question?
(Do you really trust a shop to analyze your tanks?. I don't.)

Johnny Longblades, Key west, Cayman Salvager, 7/08/07. Took an O2 hit......RIP

.[/QUOTE]

Is it known if he was diving recreationally or professionally at the time?

I would take the Nitrox class simply because it is available. I would rather hear the information firsthand from a presumably reliable source--a qualified instructor--than rely on information I read on the Internet or even information I read in PADI's manual. I want to know that not only do I believe I fully understand the material but that a qualified instructor believes I fully understand the material.

As others have mentioned, you can teach yourself any aspect of diving, from the very basics through the most advanced stuff, by reading what's available on the Internet and in books, but I would not rely on my own belief that I fully understand everything.

Yes, if a drysuit class is offered, you can bet I am taking the class before using a drysuit. Some classes may seem silly, but why not take them anyway and see if you might learn something.

1. You go to pick up your nitrox tank at the dive shop and it is labeled 35.2% O2. You should plan to dive with this nitrox mixture to a maximum depth of:
a. 99 feet
b. 95 feet
c. 90 feet
d. I don't know the answer

Absolutely a "trick" question, designed to point out the kind of information that an instructor would be expected to emphasize, that may not always be so clear from reading in "the book".

1. You should never trust the shop to analyze your tanks and label them without you standing there watching. (Even better would be to use your own analyzer.) Correct answer would be "d" - I don't know what the maximum depth would be since I'm not sure what gas I actually have.

2. Second question points out that before doing a nitrox dive, you should know the MOD (PPO2 1.4) and the Contingency depth (PPO2 1.6) when using nitrox. You should know that in an emergency situation 115 feet would be ok with 36% nitrox (of course for limited time and trying to limit exertion at the depth).

Not to mention that it is assuming that the student taking this test will be able to hold his/her buoyancy within +/- 6ft. This is not always the case with new-ish divers taking the basic nitrox course.

Do you have a link for that? Google yielded no hits.

Let's assume that this person did indeed die of such a hit 5 years ago. Does one person 5 years ago constitute the implication in post 159 that it is happening a lot?

look up Johnny Longblades on Spearboard. The question was not if it happened all the time, it was a rebuttal aginst being told that recreational divers never die on EANX.

Johnny Longblades, Key west, Cayman Salvager, 7/08/07. Took an O2 hit......RIP

Is it known if he was diving recreationally or professionally at the time?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it was a fun times spearfishing trip with his buddy mike.

look up Johnny Longblades on Spearboard. The question was not if it happened all the time, it was a rebuttal aginst being told that recreational divers never die on EANX.

Is it known if he was diving recreationally or professionally at the time?

Yes, it was a fun times spearfishing trip with his buddy mike.
I did a search on Spearboard--didn't find it.

I also did a search on this thread and didn't find anyone who said anything like "ecreational divers never die on EANX," so I don't know what you were rebutting. I am still not sure what your point is.

I've read about half of this thread and feel that those advising that you need to learn more about what you are breathing/diving are correct. I just recently went through my Nitrox course with my NAUI instructor that has been teaching Scuba for 19 years. I feel that the cost of the class ($99 plus books) vs the knowledge that I gained is invaluable. Saying that you feel you know enough about it from doing it is the wrong way to go about it. At least when you are taught by an instructor you can ask questions to someone who has been training with the right answer and information and not get the answer from someone who read it on the internet.
Just my two cents.

Ant

Not a trick question, an unanswerable question as the correct response was not included as an option. Given the proper options, I can answer the question. This type of question is sometimes called stump the chump and really a poor instruction technique for basic level instruction. IMO.

The better intro to this discussion is "You request 36% Nitrox from the dive shop and are presented a tank marked 35.2%. What actions do you need to perform prior to diving to safely use this mix?

Anything you can explain using Scuba Board can be explained in a book.

1. You go to pick up your nitrox tank at the dive shop and it is labeled 35.2% O2. You should plan to dive with this nitrox mixture to a maximum depth of: a. 99 feet b. 95 feet c. 90 feet d. I don't know the answerAbsolutely a "trick" question, designed to point out the kind of information that an instructor would be expected to emphasize, that may not always be so clear from reading in "the book".1. You should never trust the shop to analyze your tanks and label them without you standing there watching. (Even better would be to use your own analyzer.) Correct answer would be "d" - I don't know what the maximum depth would be since I'm not sure what gas I actually have.2. Second question points out that before doing a nitrox dive, you should know the MOD (PPO2 1.4) and the Contingency depth (PPO2 1.6) when using nitrox. You should know that in an emergency situation 115 feet would be ok with 36% nitrox (of course for limited time and trying to limit exertion at the depth).

Last edited:
I've read about half of this thread and feel that those advising that you need to learn more about what you are breathing/diving are correct. I just recently went through my Nitrox course with my NAUI instructor that has been teaching Scuba for 19 years. I feel that the cost of the class ($99 plus books) vs the knowledge that I gained is invaluable. Saying that you feel you know enough about it from doing it is the wrong way to go about it. At least when you are taught by an instructor you can ask questions to someone who has been training with the right answer and information and not get the answer from someone who read it on the internet.
Just my two cents.

Ant

Are you sure it was this thread you read? You see I've read the entire thread and I didn't see one post that stated ...". Saying that you feel you know enough about it from doing it"...... I saw more than a few saying reading the material will provide one with all the information one needs to use Nitrox safely. Which was the point of the tread. Some of us would like the option of self learning and a written exam to provide objective evidence that we are enlighten. That would reduce the cost and still provide the knowledge. There could also be a $100.-$200, course for those that think they need an instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom