Why do solo divers need a long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, i use the same configuration whether solo or not, so while i don't need
a long hose solo, it's there and there's no point in messing with it, since it's
not in the way or anything.

(i should mention that my solo diving is limited to 40 feet
or less, shore-entry only)

Soggy:
I've seen a lot of self-proclaimed solo divers that feel the need to use a long hose. Just wondering what the rationale is.

I am surprised you ask that question since DIR advocate using the same configuration for all environments. The fact that I occasionally solo dive does not preclude me from buddy diving which requires the long hose.

When you have to take your rig off to do something you can just leave it "over there" and still breath off it.

wedivebc:
I am surprised you ask that question since DIR advocate using the same configuration for all environments. The fact that I occasionally solo dive does not preclude me from buddy diving which requires the long hose.

Solo diving isn't exactly a DIR environment, but I understand your point. :)

You might want to donate air to someone who's buddy
has flaked. "Solo" doesn't mean "oblivious *******."

Soggy:
Solo diving isn't exactly a DIR environment, but I understand your point. :)
You know I accept most of what DIR teaches, yet could never accept certain restrictions. This issue is one of the main ones.

Why do I dive with a long hose? I would rather dive with a buddy, but am more often solo. If someone needs a buddy, I'm there and ready. On most of the wrecks up here you will see other divers while you are diving. If someone has problems under water or on the hang, you will still want to donate the long hose.

Also, as others have said, you don't have to change your gear configuration.
Along the same lines, I often don't need a sling bottle, but I always have one.

Same basic gear configuration every time is a good idea, whether you are solo, in a group, rec or tech.

Practically speaking, switching back and forth from a short to long hose would require separate regs or swapping the LP hose on the reg. When it comes to o-rings, if they ain't leaking don't mess with them. Frequent swapping of hoses is going to increase the wear of the static o-rings involved and increase the potential for o-ring contamination or damage and consequently increase the potential for leaks.

Besides, I may be on the boat planning a solo dive when a dive buddy ties up along side and suddenly it's a buddy dive. Switching hoses would be a real PITA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom