Why do you dive so deep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just read about Sheck Exley's last dive in Zacaton cave. He was a very deep diver. His buddy, Jim Bowden, said planning the dive was more than half the fun. Deep divers like the planning and the technology.
I really love extreme books like Verna Van Schaik's book Fatally Flawed, Deep Descent by Bill Stone and Blind Descent by James Tabor. I physically probably couldn't do that type of exploration but a part of me wishes that I could. I don't know why. Maybe the adrenalin rush? I do enjoy deep dives but decided that I hate nitrogen narcosis. My husband loves to dive deep and it doesn't bother him.
Because of this, and a desire to cave/deep wreck dive, we've decided to get further technical training.
A lot of times, you just want to go deep because that's where something is that you want to see or shoot ( spear hunters). If the wrecks in the local area or where you dream to go is deep, you will eventually decide that's where you want to dive.
If you like warm water coral reefs, lots of those in the 30-100 foot range. I'd die of boredom if I couldn't dive deeper than 30 feet. I also want to jump high and run fast when I ride my fox hunters!

In fact I am coming over in July this year, but unfortunately not diving this trip. On a 30 day normal tourist trip to Canada trip up the east coast. Been to Edmonton once which I liked but too short, a business trip, also to Niagara Falls. Where is the best part to dive there. My dry suit would be ok but I think my regs would freeze up.

Well for what it's worth, about 20 minutes from Niagara, there is a nice little wreck there, known as "The Tiller". There's also an excellent dive shop close by, that rents cold-water regs etc. And I have a boat if you can get away for a few hours...

We dove there three weekends in December... Water was about 36F-37C but 100' PLUS vis... In july, the temp would likely be about 42F at the bottom mid 50s up top.

https://www.facebook.com/stuart.seldon/media_set?set=a.10152267688194505.1073741858.632159504&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/stuart.seldon/media_set?set=a.10152248258849505.632159504&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/stuart.seldon/media_set?set=a.10152197595299505.632159504&type=3

I just read about Sheck Exley's last dive in Zacaton cave. He was a very deep diver. His buddy, Jim Bowden, said planning the dive was more than half the fun. Deep divers like the planning and the technology.
I really love extreme books like Verna Van Schaik's book Fatally Flawed, Deep Descent by Bill Stone and Blind Descent by James Tabor. I physically probably couldn't do that type of exploration but a part of me wishes that I could. I don't know why. Maybe the adrenalin rush? I do enjoy deep dives but decided that I hate nitrogen narcosis. My husband loves to dive deep and it doesn't bother him.
Because of this, and a desire to cave/deep wreck dive, we've decided to get further technical training.
A lot of times, you just want to go deep because that's where something is that you want to see or shoot ( spear hunters). If the wrecks in the local area or where you dream to go is deep, you will eventually decide that's where you want to dive.
If you like warm water coral reefs, lots of those in the 30-100 foot range. I'd die of boredom if I couldn't dive deeper than 30 feet. I also want to jump high and run fast when I ride my fox hunters!

Tracy,

Shoot for the sky, life is far too short not to go have fun and enjoy the adrenalin rush. I love the planning, the dive and the depth. I can get bored like you on shallow dives, particularly if I have been diving the same water for a week, similar dives.

Depth for the sake of depth alone has never been an attraction for me. I dive to do or see specific things, mostly wrecks. As time and training have progressed, the depth range in which I am able to explore has increased. I don't get bored on shallow dives, if the object of my attention happens to lie there. I don't get excited by deeper dives, if there is nothing to accomplish at that depth.

As a technical diving instructor, I see students with many different motivations for venturing deeper. I only discourage one - and that is for the thrill of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that diving should be exciting. But... getting an adrenalin rush from a deep dive tends, to me, to indicate diving outside one's comfort zone. Of knowing, even if only subconsciously, that the dive parameters exceed your training, experience and skill so significantly that safety is sufficiently jeopardized to create a sense of adrenalin. That's just a cheap thrill - it's "Underwater Jackass"... engineered, willful unsafety. With the appropriate training and experience, the diver should be confident on the dive. The eliminates the 'junkie buzz', but offers a more profound and satisfying accomplishment.

Depth for the sake of depth alone has never been an attraction for me. I dive to do or see specific things, mostly wrecks. As time and training have progressed, the depth range in which I am able to explore has increased. I don't get bored on shallow dives, if the object of my attention happens to lie there. I don't get excited by deeper dives, if there is nothing to accomplish at that depth.

As a technical diving instructor, I see students with many different motivations for venturing deeper. I only discourage one - and that is for the thrill of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that diving should be exciting. But... getting an adrenalin rush from a deep dive tends, to me, to indicate diving outside one's comfort zone. Of knowing, even if only subconsciously, that the dive parameters exceed your training, experience and skill so significantly that safety is sufficiently jeopardized to create a sense of adrenalin. That's just a cheap thrill - it's "Underwater Jackass"... engineered, willful unsafety. With the appropriate training and experience, the diver should be confident on the dive. The eliminates the 'junkie buzz', but offers a more profound and satisfying accomplishment.

The buzz is not necessarily from diving outside ones skill level, but for me anyway, more so the thrill of seeing something or discovering something different. Like exploring I suppose. Same feeling when diving a wreck, like the thought of discovering something not found before.

But... getting an adrenalin rush from a deep dive tends, to me, to indicate diving outside one's comfort zone. Of knowing, even if only subconsciously, that the dive parameters exceed your training, experience and skill so significantly that safety is sufficiently jeopardized to create a sense of adrenalin.

Paging Dr. Freud, paging Dr. Freud...

I dive deep because recreational diving from planning/execution perspective is boring. I also have a Coelacanth on my bucket-list without a tick. I hope to get lucky on our upcoming expedition.

I also have a Coelacanth on my bucket-list without a tick. I hope to get lucky on our upcoming expedition.
Considering they are considered the worlds most endangered order and like to hang out at 100-500 meters depth, I wish you the best of luck! :eek:

Considering they are considered the worlds most endangered order and like to hang out at 100-500 meters depth, I wish you the best of luck! :eek:

There have been several sightings of coelacanths in Jesser Canyon near Sodwana Bay (on the north-east coast of South Africa) at depths of around 100--120 metres. There's a bit more info here: The South African coelacanth discovery. I'm certain that's where ajduplessis is planning to dive. That's a very deep dive, but I can see why a chance to see such a rare fish in its natural habitat might provide the motivation to get the training and develop skills to do such a dive. That sort of thing is not for me, but it must be a great experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom