Why do you dive so deep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can DEFINETLY see why to go there if youre trained for it, no question. I wholeheartedly mean good look with finding them cause they are pretty damn elusive fish..

I wonder if the question was.... Why do people dive deep for no other reason than to say I went to "X" feet on a alum 80 bounce dive...

Jim...

I wonder if the question was.... Why do people dive deep for no other reason than to say I went to "X" feet on a alum 80 bounce dive...

Because those people generally omit the "....on a alum 80 bounce dive" part. They just say they went to "X" feet - thus giving the impression they are a far more capable diver than they actually are.

Kinda like "I saw the sun rise over the summit of Everest...." and neglecting to say "...on National Geographic".

Or "I crossed the Sahara..." and leaving out "....on a 747 en-route from London to Sao Paulo..."

Or "I crossed the Sahara..." and leaving out "....on a 747 en-route from London to Sao Paulo..."

Because the pilot was lost :rofl3:

Or does BA fly over west Africa on that route?

There have been several sightings of coelacanths in Jesser Canyon near Sodwana Bay (on the north-east coast of South Africa) at depths of around 100--120 metres. There's a bit more info here: The South African coelacanth discovery. I'm certain that's where ajduplessis is planning to dive. That's a very deep dive, but I can see why a chance to see such a rare fish in its natural habitat might provide the motivation to get the training and develop skills to do such a dive. That sort of thing is not for me, but it must be a great experience.

...and that's the truth. Amen

If I could bring my camera down to a coelacanth.. f£@¤ me! Id be high for a year straight on it :p

Lots o good discussion and input. Thanks.

I think the part I missed on my op was "why do you dive so deep, when you do not have to?"

Maybe that should be a new thread?

I often see the following wall dive behaviour
- the Nitrox peeps immediately zip down to 110
- the air peeps immediately zip down to 130
- a few wander down to 80
- fewer stick around 60

It is the same wall. Visibility is around 70 feet.

I understand that a few things are depth dependent (wire coral & wire coral shrimp are most often below 70 feet and I always go down to check them out).

But I often see divers having to cut their bottom time short because they went deep for no obvious objective other than to hit a number on their depth gauge.

I'm thinkin I should be selling special depth gauges?

Back
Top Bottom