Why do you dive so deep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

depth is just a number for planning your dive.

I dive to see something, where that something is determines the depth. I even like to snorkel a fair bit (and I cant get much depth free diving) but there are a lot of sites better suited to snorkelling. Some of my best pictures (poor by real photographer standards) are actually snorkelling. But I have seen some really cool stuff in the deep for me 110' range.

I love to dive deep because it's something totally different, it's exciting, and it's challenging. My favorite depths are 70 to 80 feet, but when the opportunity is offered, I'll go deeper. My deepest dive to date is 165 feet and I was shooting photos like crazy, just as I do at shallower depths.

depth is just a number for planning your dive.

I dive to see something, where that something is determines the depth. I even like to snorkel a fair bit (and I cant get much depth free diving) but there are a lot of sites better suited to snorkelling. Some of my best pictures (poor by real photographer standards) are actually snorkelling. But I have seen some really cool stuff in the deep for me 110' range.

Not pre determining max depth and time is something you can usually get away with when doing NDL diving, however when doing decompression diving its not an option one normally would or should chose to do. Below NDL one should have redundant air and gear, to not do so increases the risk beyond the point of acceptability.

In saying that I have dived deep, but anything below 40m (130 foot), I always plan in detail, above that I plan as well but not to the same detail so some room for change.

I think for many, deep diving is all about going to the edge of the abyss and looking over and feeling the rush. Some don't care for it and see no reason to, others (like me) love the rush it gives. Yes there is significant risk, however with planning this can be reduced, but there is always more risk, the deeper one goes. For us thrill seekers, its about taking the risk, but keeping it within perspective and not loosing sight of the total picture. To do so then keeps some control of the overall risk, to not do so means the odds for survival drop way off.

One question you could ask is, how often can one poke the lion before ones head is bitten off. Hopefully (with good planning, and some luck, all my diving life), just don't get that cheeky that you think you can climb inside the mouth for a fun portrait and get away with it every time unharmed.

I find it relaxing. I like the challenge of the planning and gear, i like the weird deep dark solitude. I like the low deep sound of my breath. I like the element of calculated and managed risk, life is so sanitized, its in the moment and raw. I am curious. I like to explore. I like the tingly fear of the unknown whenI'm leading team descent or bottom portion (ascent and deco lead is easy lol)

i like diving with my solid predictable buddies who get it. Resets my soul. Ok any dive does that, max depth was 30 feet today in 5c doing skills. I dont know why i like deep diving i just do.

I can not answer why I lke to dive deep. I just know that if i can see it, then I want to go there and look at it. That doesn't matter if it is 100' below me or in a tiny hole 100' away from me. Perhaps it is mere curiousity, perhaps it is boredom from the same usual dives, perhaps it is some engrained explorer gene, perhaps, it is the thrill of pushing my personal limits, perhaps it is simple stupidity. I just know that with careful and accurate planning, my dives have not killed me yet and I hope to continue that tradition for a long long time.

With proper training and planning, there are many more opportunities for those that wish to pursue them.

I dive deeper for three reasons:

First, shipwrecks sit on the bottom. The shallower ones get smashed up by wind, waves and ice. The better ones are deeper. The shot below is of the stern of the Forest City. I'm lying on the bottom in about 160'

Second, sometimes a critter I want to photograph is "deeper". If I have earned the blessing of a divemaster while I'm on vacation, I won't hesitate to pop down to 130 - 160' to grab a shark shot for example. (One of the reasons dive ops like Nitrox is because it prevents this!)

Third, I like the way it feels. We have some great walls in Tobermory that drop down to nice depths... sometimes it's just kinda nice to drop down to 160', 170'... or so. :wink: (When properly equipped of course!). As they've been saying for years, "The deeper it is, the better it feels!"

Since this is the "Basic Scuba" forum, please note that I have been diving for 40 years and logged about 5000 dives. I've worked as an Instructor, Dive Guide, and briefly, as a commercial diver. When I'm diving deeper up here, I'm ALWAYS wearing redundant everything... double tanks, dual regs, dual computers etc. etc. I am NOT in any way, suggesting a novice, lightly experienced or under-equipped diver should be doing this. (For what it's worth, lots of folks routinely dive 200' - 300' here in the Great Lakes, and even deeper.

Attachments

• FC.jpg
    FC.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 238
I get see what few others if any have seen.
Animals are more diverse here and tend bigger.
As I am spearfishing normally there is less pressure on the fish out there.
It is a little more challenging.

I dive deeper for three reasons:

First, shipwrecks sit on the bottom. The shallower ones get smashed up by wind, waves and ice. The better ones are deeper. The shot below is of the stern of the Forest City. I'm lying on the bottom in about 160'

Second, sometimes a critter I want to photograph is "deeper". If I have earned the blessing of a divemaster while I'm on vacation, I won't hesitate to pop down to 130 - 160' to grab a shark shot for example. (One of the reasons dive ops like Nitrox is because it prevents this!)

Third, I like the way it feels. We have some great walls in Tobermory that drop down to nice depths... sometimes it's just kinda nice to drop down to 160', 170'... or so. :wink: (When properly equipped of course!). As they've been saying for years, "The deeper it is, the better it feels!"

Since this is the "Basic Scuba" forum, please note that I have been diving for 40 years and logged about 5000 dives. I've worked as an Instructor, Dive Guide, and briefly, as a commercial diver. When I'm diving deeper up here, I'm ALWAYS wearing redundant everything... double tanks, dual regs, dual computers etc. etc. I am NOT in any way, suggesting a novice, lightly experienced or under-equipped diver should be doing this. (For what it's worth, lots of folks routinely dive 200' - 300' here in the Great Lakes, and even deeper.

I am jealous, that looks like a nice dive.

I am jealous, that looks like a nice dive.

It is a nice dive. Bit chilly perhaps, by Aussie standards (Usually about 3C at the bottom) but a nice dive for sure.

To steal a phase: because it is there.
As long as you have the equipment and the proper training. It gives me an option to do something slightly different from the usual reef dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom