Why do you dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those moments when everything else goes away

dive_lover88:
becoz itiz the closest we can get to be superman! other than that is the facination of being in another world and being away from all the top side stuffs

I'm going to have to agree with "its like being in another world"... I've always been a big fan of Sci-fi and Fantasy. Similarly, diving is a nice escape from the troubles of the world.

Now I need to escape more and more and more and more...:D

I have been swimming ever since I was a baby. By the time, I realized about scuba diving when I was a 4th grader, I have been obsessed to get certified. So I asked my parents if I could get cerified, they thought I was crazy and it was too dangerous. Never got certified until I went to college, there was a course offering in college so I grabbed it while I had the chance! I became certified open water about 2 years ago and loving every minute. Everyone have always consider me as a water gal - I have been in the water (ocean) all my life!

I've lived "ON" the water my whole life...when I moved to Florida I was "ON" the warm water all year round...being "ON" the water was never enough for me! I had to see what was below the surface. I now live "ON" and "UNDER" the water!!! It's the most satisfying amazing place I have ever been! When I'm on a reef watching each miracle go by I just wish I could talk to the fish so I could see what they are thinking...but then again all that talking might just ruin it!!! I feel like I'm really living an adventure every time I go diving!!!

between Oct and March it's because of LOBSTERS!!!!

I've always been intrigued with the ocean too. Been sailing, swimming, fishing and surfing almost all of my life. Snorkeling and scuba were natural progressions. :14:

EER

I work for a radio station and the grand prize for a contest we had this summer was a complete OW certification plus fins, mask, 1/2mm suit, and snorkle. The prize also included a 2005 Jet-Ski.

We promoted the Grand Prize in the contest like I needed a dive buddy and we'll learn to dive together. It was pretty cool because we got the LDS involved and was able to put them on the air and talk about the sport and the different kind of things you'd encounter/do/see as a diver. PADI ate it up. Apparently, there is very little advertising for diving and most new divers are brought into the fold by word of mouth.

The market went nuts. The LDS picked up a ton of Referrals from the heritage dive shop in town that some people weren't happy with and we also gave away Discover Scuba Diving certificates for daily prizes.

As a result, the market has seen a huge increase in the number of people interested in learning more about how to get into diving. Not every lead panned out, but the number of people that actually got into it were more than what would have without our little promotion. In all, a great success.

Anyway, some kid won the contest and the OW certification. He did his Discover Scuba with his mom (who wants to get certified as well). At this point I wasn't too thrilled about diving... Yea? So what... who wants to dive anyway when you can sit on the beach and get blasted instead and watch the little chickies walk by? BOY was I knocked out when I did my Discover Scuba. Hooked. IMMEDIATELY. And that was in the POOL for chrissake!

Went home. Took a loan out of 401k and purchased all my gear right off the bat, including my wife's gear. Shoot, I needed a buddy! That kid's got his mom.

So 6-7k later we're partially geared up and certified. My wife is kind of ho-hum about the whole diving thing, but to me, it's a life altering event. All I do is think about diving and the places to go and people to meet and things to see.

My friends are all beer drinkin Frat boy couch potato's and are mildly amused at what they think is a phase. Sorry pal, that FSU game can wait. Tape it for me... I'll be down at Ginnie this weekend and watch it when I get back.

That's how I got into diving. And I'm just as thrilled every dive as the day I took my first breath under water in 4' of city pool water.

Its is the most relaxing thing in the world - I forget about my job, my stress, all of the things in life that are bothering me they seem to stop at the waters edge. It's about exploring a part of our earth that is not fully understood yet. Everytime I go down I see something new and exciting. Up here, we are the top of the food chain - masters of the universe - below, we are not in control.

Kevin

love2godeep:
A "deep" question.....

Why do you dive? !

Because I'm compulsively addicted.

And it's the one thing in my life that doesn't involve people trying to talk to me. I like people but I sure wish they wouldn't talk so much. (sheesh..... a little frustration showing through there.... :))

And it's a non-competitive "solo" team sport. Like rock-climbing. The buddy is part of the system but the dive is individual. (I like rock-climbing too).

And most of my friends are divers

And most of my personal belongings are waterproof

did I mention the addiction?

And when I'm under water it's one of the few times that I don't wish I were somewhere else.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom