Why Do You Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm choking from the smell of stale perfume :wink:

but seriously I'm a water person, always have been and love the adventure

:D - I know what you mean. I hit the pool at least once a day here at the local "Y", and just started adding some weight (and other) training also. When I was way on the other side of the gym, I swear I could smell the warm moist, slightly chlorinated aroma of fresh water! Through 3 doors!!! The pool was way over there there somewhere ... and im in here ... why am I in here again? Yeah, I know the name Nautilus is ocean born, but it's just so dry in here ... just too ... dry.

My mom will never come to see me dive either. She said she'd get way too nervous while I was underwater.

-----

Mike.

my name is ed and i like to dive because i can pee while in weird positions underwater.

Clothes x 3 = 1000's :dollar:
Toys x 3 = 1000's :dollar:
Food x 3 = 1000's :dollar:
Daycare x 3 = 10's of thousands :dollar: :dollar: :dollar:
Sleep/3=0 :banghead:

Peace and Quiet = Priceless! :fruit:

There are some things in life MasterCard can buy, for everything else there's DIVING!

...no cell phones... no land lines... no computers... no doorbells... no cars, bikes, or scooters... no neighbors (no neighbor's kids)... no barking dogs... no clients... no business... no airplanes... no deadlines... no bs...

being weightless, looking at the light going through the surface in the afternoon, being very close to the wildest critters, making bubbles...

In one of my lives I am a firefighter. People ask me why I do that expecting to hear something about civic duty, concern for other etc. Nope, its because the department has the coolest toys in town and a great adreneline rush!
Diving has cool toys! In addition, I love the adventure. There are way different life forms down there and you never know what you will find. Many people talk about the relaxation underwater, for me it is more of an adrenaline rush.

My first real open water dive was in cozumel. When I entered the water from the boat and looked around below me it was truly mind blowing. As I slowly descended, and looked around, I knew right then that this was my calling. For years my brother kept after me to get certified and I finally did and now I'm mad at myself for not doing it sooner. Of course I've always been a fish in the water and prefer to be at the bottom of the pool, but have been unable to grow gills so scuba diving is the only way.

I used to be the guy who hated to swim at the deep end of the pool, couldnt do a simple back float, and most definately would not jump off of a boat in water over my head. I grew up terrified of deep water and what lies beneath. But on the same token, I was mystified by dive documentaries. I could never get enough of shark week on Discovery, or was always transfixed at the docks when divers would wander by in their gear. Finaly at the age of 31 I took the plunge. Overweight, and out of breath I made the 200 yard swim in the BOW, Im in the AOW now, and in a few months will be attempting the Rescue Diver class. (all through PADI). I havent lost weight in a huge way, but Ive lost some inches on the waisteline, and am (slowly) getting into better shape. Im still no olympic swimmer, but am more relaxed in deep water. I no longer sweat over what may be swimming under my feet, and I enjoy the water a lot more. I am by no means an athlete, but diving makes me feel like one. I am doing something that not many people dare to do or can do. It makes me feel like a million bucks and I like that. A side benefit is that I AM getting healthier as I do it. Im working out and having a good time while Im doing it. It doesnt get any better than that.
I enjoy seeing everything there is to see underwater, and sometimes it just nice to lay back on the bottom and stare up and watch the ever changing light patterns ripple across the surface. Its a bit contradictory, but diving is the most exciting and most relaxing thing a person can do. As many have said, there are no cell phones, no pagers, no email, no voicemail, no bosses, and usualy no worries at all. Even with a budy it can all be about you. You can think, or not think. Its all up to you. The only thing in the water with you is what you take with you, both literaly and figuratively.
WHY DO I DIVE? Becaue it truly is the most relaxing thing I know to do. You are weightless and uncluttered by the things you leave at the surface. It can be physicaly challenging and does have a large area of skill requirements. Its fun to master the skills and then apply them to my diving experience. Mastering Buoyancy and breath control and SAC rate all lead up to more enjoyable dives. Its a challenge and that makes it fun. Its good for me. Im doing something that makes me healthier and that makes me feel good about myslef. The gym or diets dont seem to do that. They just remind you of where you are not where you want to be. I have never found a sport wher I can relax, exercise, experience new and different forms of life, meet new people, and learn about the world around me. Not until I found SCUBA Diving. It cleanses the soul, fortifies the mind, and educates you all in the same experience. Thanks Jacques, we owe it all to you.

I have always been interested in starting to dive because I just love seeing wildlife and natural habitats and such. But I was always a little leary about swimming with fish. Just kind of freaky.
So I overcame my little fear and tried it and it was everything I expected it to be and more. Its just amazing the kinds of things you can see and how friendly some of the wildlife can be.
Plus the peacefulness is unreal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom