Why do you use a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made the change because I was fed up with the logistics of deep diving on OC. And while I´m not convinced CC is really cheaper than OC, for me, I´d rather sink a lot of money into CC and being "forced" to dive to justify the cost rather than having to secure dives that justify the cost of a dive on OC.

Now that I´ve made the switch and started diving the silence, warmth and challenge of "learning again" are what keeps me diving...

Should a diver, for any reason, become delayed in exiting a cave or wreck (silt out, etc.), especially when this is compounded by depth, being on a rebreather virtually eliminates the pressure of running out of gas that one has on open circuit.

That is a huge benefit. A few months back I was diving with my buddy at Lake Wazee in Wisconsin. We had gone out to see "Jimmy Hoffa" on the way back I took a wrong turn. In the process we totally turned around :confused:(now always carry a compass). Kept swimming looking for the wall an not finding it. Our depth was just shy of 200ft and deco time was really adding up. But at one point I checked both my dil and O2 and remember thinking "well at least I don't have to worry about my gas supply".
Ended up shooting a bag from about 180ft and made our ascent.
Al

Should a diver, for any reason, become delayed in exiting a cave or wreck (silt out, etc.), especially when this is compounded by depth, being on a rebreather virtually eliminates the pressure of running out of gas that one has on open circuit.

This is actually the only "good" reason that I have heard of, so far.:eyebrow:

.... post deleted by almitywife.......

Thanks. We're pretty happy too.

BTW, you dont really think we became CCR divers without learning about the down sides also do you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just finished my CCR training on an Optima rebreather, the reason for training again (I already was SCR certified) was to be able to dive for 3 hours underwater with no bubbles, virtually irrespective of depth. The primary advantage of a CCR (in my opinion) is that the element of TIME is significantly reduced in importance from the diving equation, meaning that if there is an issue, you have time to sort it out. The advantage of a fixed PO2 (upon ascent) for a dive is a positive also, for offgassing. Two of MY reasons for learning to dive a CCR.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

g'day divers

i have deleted a number of posts due to their trolling nature. you are encouraged to discuss any dangers or shortcomings of unit diving but to post comments just for the sake of them or to get a reaction isnt acceptable

this thread is titled "Why do you use a rebreather? " so if you would like to discuss a topic other than this there are many other threads available or you can start a new one if there isnt one to your liking

many thanks

So I can sneak up on the fishees.
I'm looking into one for similar reasons. Since I shoot video there is an obvious advantage to being able to get closer without the noise from OC disturbing the things I'm trying to film. The increased bottom time is a definite advantage also - especially with an HDD camcorder and extended range batteries, the limiting factor is now my air supply as you can shoot video for about 4 hours before using up a battery.

Someone posted in a another thread that still photographers see them as a huge advantage also. I believe many pro photographers have gone to rebreathers for this reason.

I can lay on the bottom and nothing is scared away by the sound of me. I get great shots and fish just swim right up and wait for me to take lots of pics of them. It was amazing the first time. I felt like I have invented the wheel...... I know, I know. I don't cave daive, but I would much rather use a rebreather when my opportunity to cave dive and train that comes around.

I think they are really way of diving future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom