Why does DIR reject quick disconnects?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the new posters, who were not members when this thread was active, actually read all one hundred posts.

Wow. If you guys did, I hope you learned something.

Rick Inman:
I wonder if the new posters, who were not members when this thread was active, actually read all one hundred posts.

Wow. If you guys did, I hope you learned something.

Weeellllllllll, (hands in pockets, looks at the ground, scuffs his foot) I read like maybe 80 of them. SJ & -hh got rather repetitive, though, and, like, I kinda sorta suffer from, like, ADD, maybe, sorta, so I didn't quite make it all the way, know what I mean? HEY, I actually WAS a member when this thread was started! (I think) ;D

scubafool:
Weeellllllllll, (hands in pockets, looks at the ground, scuffs his foot) I read like maybe 80 of them. SJ & -hh got rather repetitive, though, and, like, I kinda sorta suffer from, like, ADD, maybe, sorta, so I didn't quite make it all the way, know what I mean? HEY, I actually WAS a member when this thread was started! (I think) ;D
LOL.:D
Not referring to you, Mister S.Fool. And actually, if you've read 20 of the posts, you probably got the jest of the whole thread. :wink:

boomx5:
Excellent! I love how people always throw the, "I've been diving for a real long time, so you better listen to me" crap out there thinking they are going to trump everyone elses arguments. I know people who have more dives in the last 6 months than you "appear" to have in the last 25 years. So, since you have this vast experience and knowledge in the realm of diving, why don't you teach us something? After all, you beat me to my first c-card by a whopping 6 years.
And he probably doesn't do tic tac toe deco with really ugly gear and a toy scooter.....now where is downtown?

There's another reason to avoid the quick disconnect buckles I haven't seen mentioned - the entanglement hazard. It's the same reason we don't want buckled fin straps. Now the fins are more likely to get caught in kelp, but harness buckles aren't immune. That's another strike against them, even if they were metal.

I was on a dive boat today in SoCal (the Cee Ray) that prohibits the over-the-head donning of gear.

There are times when I'm putting on my backplate I've wished for a QD to make the whole thing easier to get on.

Then, this weekend, I smashed the valve on my sausage. Didn't even realize it until I was cleaning up after the dives were done. Sausage is no good anymore, and needs to be replaced. Thank goodness this happened on a reservoir dive instead of on a drift dive.

Plastic breaks. The less you have of it the better.

Hell, I'm not even DIR and I can see the logic in this.

What I don't see is the sense of dragging out a year-dead thread just to bash around people who do their thing their own way and don't bother anyone else while doing it.

boomx5:
Lol...are you trying to get me into trouble again? :eyebrow:
I think you are quite capable all on your own.

jonnythan:
You don't need them, especially underwater. They can break. There's nothing more to it. A z-knife will cut the harness to pieces faster than you can unbuckle all the buckles anyway.

Jon actually experienced this first hand on my boat this Sat. Art do you have a knife to cut this harness? No Jon but you can use my Zknife. Haha, a Zknife wont cut this are you kidding? oh yeah? watch. Slice, 1/2 a second, like a hot knife through butter

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom