Why don't more DM's become Instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those who can -- do. Those who can't -- teach. And those who can't teach -- teach teachers. :wink:

I think PADI has a flow chart for this...

The only reason I added a DM card was to get into DEMA (every couple of years), because dive boat captains are not on the entry list for the "industry". Other than that it's a pretty worthless card. Most of what they push (I mean teach) is their way of doing things. And for those that have been around the block a few times some of it doesn't make sense.
Active diving (coming up on my 39th year) is more important than collecting cert cards.
For those who want to really make a career out of diving, look into diesel mechanics, compressor repair & overhaul, regulator repair & overhaul.
Mind you, that you have to competent at these trades, but you will never be short of work and you can dive all over the world.

tb

The shop I work with (The Scuba Connection www.tscscuba.com) tends to keep their DM's fairly long term. I have been a DM for going on 5 years but I have only been "active" for the last 3. So to answer your questions directly:

I was but not anymore

I got it for the training and experience as well as the chance to assist classes. It just took me a while to find the time to do so.

No. Volunteer or side job only.

Just signed up for the full PADI Instructor course recently

***Sidenote - Even if you dont plan on actively using the DM cert it makes you a better diver and a better buddy

Even if you dont plan on actively using the DM cert it makes you a better diver and a better buddy

I have a strange reaction to this statement. What being a DM has made me is a little paranoid -- I am frantically watchful, because I have learned that inexperienced and unknown buddies can do almost anything and will, and usually at the worst possible moment. I don't think it's made me a better buddy at all; it's made me much more worried about diving with novices, and much more conservative about what I will do with them.

In terms of being a good buddy, I was aware, keyed into communications, responsible about diving the plan and maintaining gas reserves before I got my DM. A lot of that wasn't covered at all in my DM class.

I was excited about the DM course but after reading these responses I dont think I need to waste my time.

I did my DM course because it was open-ended and one payment got me unlimited diving for 18 months.

I did my BSAC instructor course because it was free (in the military) and involved an expedition to Ascension Island.

I did my PADI instructor course because I had money available to spend on training (any training) when leaving the military and the money also paid for nice trip to Thailand.

I did my Tech Deep instructor course because I loved tech diving and being an instructor meant I could tech dive for free/profit (otherwise to expensive to do as much as I want).

I did my SSI instructor course (cross-over) because it meant I could accept a job managing an SSI dive center in Thailand.

All of the above steps were driven entirely by one motive - to dive more (at less cost) :D

I think a lot of people become DM's because they are sold the course before they really have any idea what it entails ... then they pay a lot of money, take the course, and reality sets in.

Becoming a DM doesn't make you a better diver, except in terms of giving you some more experience to learn from ... but you can get that without the expense of a DM class. DM is, frankly, more about "leadership" skills than diving skills, and many people discover that it does not at all offer them what they had hoped to get from the class.

It is, however, a cash cow for some dive shops ... seems that almost every diver who signs up for OW eventually gets talked into progressing at least up to that level.

I've certified a few DM's ... but I've talked more people out of it than I've accepted as DM candidates. The first question I always ask is "Why do you want to become a DM?" Usually it's because they want to improve their diving skills, or they have some notion that becoming a DM is a ticket to a nice livelihood at a tropical resort. Once they learn the reality, most realize it's not what they thought it was, and decide that a skills workshop or simply getting more experience is a better investment.

I suspect that the majority of people who get their DM certification never really do anything with it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was one who was talked into taking my DM training. I didn't think I had the physical prowess necessary, but my LDS guy convinced me that I could handle it. Then I realized that I would enjoy the challenge, which I did. And he was right; in spite of my age, I was quite capable of the requirements. It was a humbling experience to find out how inadequate my skills were, and how much I had slipped into "my way" of doing things, so I'd have to say that the course did make me a much better diver. I also found that I got a real kick out of helping new divers develop their skills. Judging by how quickly students I did help caught on, I was pretty good at it. I even considered moving on to instructor level.

However, it became pretty clear after the course was over that my usefulness had come to an end unless I wanted to take another course, or buy more gear from my LDS. Lesson learned, it's strictly business. Do it because YOU want to.

I was one who was talked into taking my DM training. I didn't think I had the physical prowess necessary, but my LDS guy convinced me that I could handle it. Then I realized that I would enjoy the challenge, which I did. And he was right; in spite of my age, I was quite capable of the requirements. It was a humbling experience to find out how inadequate my skills were, and how much I had slipped into "my way" of doing things, so I'd have to say that the course did make me a much better diver. I also found that I got a real kick out of helping new divers develop their skills. Judging by how quickly students I did help caught on, I was pretty good at it. I even considered moving on to instructor level.

However, it became pretty clear after the course was over that my usefulness had come to an end unless I wanted to take another course, or buy more gear from my LDS. Lesson learned, it's strictly business. Do it because YOU want to.

I have to agree that people should understand what it is they are getting into. Now that I am certified to do the Discover Scuba Diving confined water courses I find that the divemaster actually became fun (And at least turns a few dollars though not much)

Its an awesome adventure for me to look back on and see that it pushed me to rearrange my entire life from what it used to be. Now I love the water I was once so afraid of :)

Classes are fun to set in on though they do tend to become more like a broken record but the cool thing is that I continue to hear the things over and over that I was slightly understood and now I fully understand them thanks to the getting to sit in on classes. As I said earlier though my shop gave me an entire new outlook on life so a little of my time back never hurt anything!

In terms of being a good buddy, I was aware, keyed into communications, responsible about diving the plan and maintaining gas reserves before I got my DM. A lot of that wasn't covered at all in my DM class.

I can appreciate this! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom