why gauge mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socaljohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been reading some threads about computer selection and have read a couple comments that suggested getting a computer that will operate in gauge mode is preferable. I found this definition of gauge mode

Operating mode for a personal dive computer where the decompression calculation is disabled, and the unit operated only as as a timer and depth gauge. Typically used when diving with gas mixtures not supported by the algorithm, in which case decompression tables are used to monitor and control the decompression schedule.

Is this the reason some here have advised a computer with gauge mode or is there more?

Because a computer that can function in gauge mode becomes an excellent second "computer" (a gauge really), if you ever buy a more complex or newer one, or in case you transition into technical diving and are interested in having a good backup bottom timer. It's just a feature that makes the computer useful in the future if your diving evolves. A must? No, its not. It's just something that you could throw into the bag of considerations when choosing.

Is this the reason some here have advised a computer with gauge mode or is there more?

Yes, because we are all going to become technical divers...... there is no choice.....

Gauge mode gives you some amount of flexibility over a fixed mode computer. By way of an example, if you are diving with a buddy who has a computer which runs a very different algorithm than yours, you may find that NDL limits are being represented differently. Gauge mode gives you the ability to run the computer as a bottom timer so that you and your buddy can both run your dive on a table.

Separately, it's handy for bailout profiles on technical dives or, if you're more old school/traditional, as a primary means of executing a technical dive.

For most divers, I don't think of it as a must have.

Sometimes, someone who owns a computer decides he wants to use a table or similar non-electronic means to guide him through a particular set of dives instead of his computer's algorithm. When he want to do this, he can switch his computer to gauge mode. In gauge mode, the computer behaves just like the wristwatch and depth gauge that you would use if you were relying on a table. You see, some people don't entirely forget about tables just because they now own a dive computer. As noted in the text you quoted, there are reasons why an experienced diver might prefer to use a table even though he has a computer at his disposal.

Gauge mode should let you avoid some of the drama that could unfold if you dive beyond the computer's accepted parameters.

For example, I'm told some dive computers will 'lock you out' for awhile if you violate an NDL and don't follow the computer's expectations for deco. And some computers have alarms go off.

I don't do (and am not trained for) tec. diving. But at least this is what I think gauge mode is about - preventing the computer from distracting you with a conflicting agenda and alerts, when you're doing a dive such as a tec. dive using other planning tools.

After all, if you're doing a regular recreational dive with tables for some reason, I doubt you're likely to run out of NDL on the computer before the table.

Richard.

Many agencies require you to learn tech diving by using guage mode and tables. Therefore, its nice to have a computer that you can put into guage mode if that's your plan.

Yes, because we are all going to become technical divers...... there is no choice.....

You've got it all wrong, I read that we'll all become recreational rebreather divers!

At some point you will probably upgrade computers and use the old one as a backup. They may well use different decompression algorithms. This is rarely a problem until you get deep into repeds… like on a week-long liveaboard making five dives/day.

Your primary computer may have you making deeper stops for shorter periods and your backup will get its underwear in a bunch. This is one of the bigger reasons I see for gauge mode in recreational diving. Having your computer flashing VOILATION is annoying at best and way too much drama for a dive master at worst.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom