why helium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miked

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A question from a "rec" diver:
What is the purpose of adding helium to breathing gas.
I'm assuming that the HE replaces some of the Nitrogen, but what does that accomplish.
Does Helium have properties that make it 'safer" DCS wise or ????

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if this has been addressed begore, I "searched"/tried to find a thread that answered this question, but I couldn't.

Mike

A question from a "rec" diver:
What is the purpose of adding helium to breathing gas.
I'm assuming that the HE replaces some of the Nitrogen, but what does that accomplish.
Does Helium have properties that make it 'safer" DCS wise or ????

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if this has been addressed begore, I "searched"/tried to find a thread that answered this question, but I couldn't.

Mike
Helium mainly offsets nitrogen narcosis which some people find unmanageble even at recreational depths. My personal experience is the narcosis is hardly noticable at those depths and the expense and added hassle does not warrant it. Also helium is a limited resource and as we have witnessed lately the cost will be coninuing to rise.
Of course there are those divers who like to brag they dive trimix and make the funny Donald Duck voice at the quarry.

I'm not Tech, but Helium prevents Narcosis.

I was watching a show where divers on the Andereia Dora where living in a Bell for extended diving, and they all sounded like Chip'N'Dale because they were constantly kept under pressure, and breathing Helium as part of the mix while in the Bell.

Too Funny! :rofl3:

You are right on track. He replaces a fraction of N2 and O2 (depending on mix type). This means less narcosis (O2 and N2) and less N2 uptake. Problem is that He on- and off gasses quicker. This generally means deeper short stops when ascending. There is far more to it, but at a high level this should cover it.

Hey Dave and Meng, a bit of a hi jack here, but do you guys use He at recreational depths with your rebreathers, since you're using less of it and it's more affordable, or do you switch out to air diluent for recreational depth dives?

Technical divers will use Helium at depths where nitrogen narcosis is problematic. How much helium is added depends on the depth and the equivalent nitrogen depth - which divers usually try to limit to around 100'.

Consequently, the specific mix used depends on depth.

Some depth ranges and mixes are:
10'-100' = EAN32 or 30/30
110'-150' = 21/35 (21% O2, 35% He)
160'-200' = 18/45
210'-250' = 15/55
260'-400' = 10/70

Two things have to be considered when determining the bottom mix - the amount of helium (to keep the END around 100' to minimize narcosis and atthe same time helium cost), and the amount of oxygen (to keep the PPO2 under 1.4, or in some cases 1.2 to minimize decompression but also prevent oxygen toxicity).

For example if we are diving to 218 feet (the sand near the screws on the Oriskany), the standard mix of 15/55 would work with a PPO2 of 1.14 and an END of 79 feet. But the 15% O2 is below 16% and you'd need a travel gas to ensure you had adequate oxygen at shallow depths, especially if you are working hard swimming against a current.

Another option would be to use 18/45 which would have a PPO2 of 1.37 and an END of 105 ft. Some divers feel that a PPO2 of 1.4 or below is fine while others feel anything over 1.2 for a bottom gas is too agressive. Similarly, other divers feel an END of 100 should be a hard line, while others may feel the difference between an END of 100 and 105' is a moot issue and still others feel the END should be shallower at 60-70 ft. A third option would be to use a custom mix of 16/47 to produce a more conservative PPO2 of 1.22 and an END of 100'.

Another thing to consider is decompression. With DPlan for example with 30-85 gradient factors, a 25 minute dive at 218 ft on 18/45 would require 54 minutes of deco while 15/55 would require 60 minutes of deco for the same dive due to the lower O2 and higher He percentages in the mix and would cost more due to the higher He amounts. 16/47 would split the difference in deco at 56 minutes and in terms of cost - but is not quite as simple to aqcuire or blend.

Another area of controversy is decompression as some divers feel He mixes shoudl be used for deco such as 35/25 at the 120' stop while other divers may use 32% or 36% Nitrox instead at the same depths.

In general helium is a faster gas than nitorgen and saturates tissues faster but also off gasses faster so the deco profiles differ from air and most profiles with helium have slightly more deco and slightly deeper but shorter stop depths than air or nitrox and depth control is more critical to prevent bubble formation.

The standard mix mentioned above of 30/30 is designed for use above 100' and as such could be used by recreational divers trained in it's use. It result in an END of only 60' but frankly I think it is a massive waste of helium and it makes more sense to just do the dive on 30% or 32% Nitrox.

The helium we have on the planet was created by atomic decay over about a gazillion years, so even though He is the second most common element in the universe, it is a limited resource on earth - how limited is a matter of debate. What is not really debateable is that He prices continue to rise and will I suspect rise further to attempt to limit consumption. So open circuit trimix diving is probably going to become less common as more and more trimix divers transition to rebreathers where the He use is about 90% less than on open circuit.

Helium mainly offsets nitrogen narcosis which some people find unmanageble even at recreational depths. My personal experience is the narcosis is hardly noticable at those depths and the expense and added hassle does not warrant it. Also helium is a limited resource and as we have witnessed lately the cost will be coninuing to rise.
Of course there are those divers who like to brag they dive trimix and make the funny Donald Duck voice at the quarry.

You are a trimix instructor and this is your answer? Ya' gotta be kidding me.

You are a trimix instructor and this is your answer? Ya' gotta be kidding me.
sorry, ya lost me.
Do you wish to contribute to this thread?

Hey Dave and Meng, a bit of a hi jack here, but do you guys use He at recreational depths with your rebreathers, since you're using less of it and it's more affordable, or do you switch out to air diluent for recreational depth dives?
Yes I do use He since I use very little of it so it's not like I am blowing $100 a dive when I do rec depths. I also feel rec trimix training is a waste of time. I do train people to use trimix for extending their range beyond recreational depths but I don't see the value for rec trimix.

Wedivebc is on the money.

Many divers get way too hung up on a 100' END and a shallower END is just stupid and I suspect has more to do with the machismo of being a 'mix diver than anything else.

Personally, I think 150' on air or a suitable nitrox mix is preferrable to blowing $125-$150 for a fill of trimix unless the conditions are extremely demanding. Below 150 feet, trimix starts to make sense, but the number of dives you can afford to do there begins to drop in proportion to the cost of the gas. That, and the related need to go deep to be cool, creates a situation where a number of trimix divers do maybe less than a dozen dives per year and are far below their peak in terms of performance. They'd be better off doing a lot more dives in the 100-150 range on air to augment the few trimix dives they do per year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom