Why I love Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, here's the short version...:D

Living in Texas, one of the top things to love about Cozumel is the short plane ride to paradise... 2 1/2 hours and it's "island time". (sorry East and West coasters)

Beyond that, the people are one big reason we keep coming back, everyone works very hard to make sure you have a good time and always welcoming you back with a big warm smile, like you are part of the family. That hasn't always been my experience in "tourist towns".

The food, the food, the food! Coming from one of the top restaurant towns in the U.S., good eats is a top priority when it comes to vacationing, every year there is something new to try as well as long-time favorites that are on everyone's "must-do" lists.

The history, from the Maya, to Columbus to pirates of the Caribbean, this island has been a trading post, haven from would be captures, a cultural and ceremonial center and now meca for scuba divers and cruise ships.

And the place is just beautiful! I LOVE being on an island, can't explain it, and don't even try. Cozumel is no different, palm trees swaying the tropical breeze helping to knock down the humidity, every color of blue you can imagine is represented from the edge of the beach out to sea, flowers and other plants you find back home at garden centers and as house plants growing wild along the roadside, the bright primary colors painted against white stucco...I'm geting home sick!!!

Oh yes, need I metion World Class Diving!?!

The consistantly clear visability, even when it's "bad" it's better than a lot of places. Great wall dives! the canyons, pennacles, swim-thrus, garden dives and shallow mid-reefs, along with the variety of fish, coral, sponges and other critters, all accessible by achieving boyancy and simply "floating by" in a drift dive should make Coz on every diver's "dive before I die" list.

Not to mention the services provided by the dive ops on Coz, that I think most of us take for granted...

1.) many places around the world you dive won't set up your equipment and weights for you, not a huge deal, some people even prefer setting up thier own gear, but it's a nice service when you have a full "6-pack" boat and not a lot of room to move about.

2.) some places don't put a DM in the water as a guide, rather they just have one on the boat as a "safety diver".

3.) In many places you have to go to the dive op to take out in the morning if they are not on site at your hotel, almost all Coz dive ops pick up at resorts and hotels that have a pier, northern hotel zone excluded, mostly.

And that's just at the "no-frills" dive ops! You can spend a little extra and get pampered on Coz for still just over 1/2 what you would pay for a 2-tank dive other places.

...maybe I should apply for a job at the Cozumel Chamber of Commerce!!! :D

Here's a three-minute slide show that I put together to answer your question:

http://chemistry.csudh.edu/faculty/jim/ColorfulCozumel.exe

"Save" to your computer and then "run;" I don't want to overload the server. Yes, you can trust the source. Turn up the volume. Do NOT run this at work...

[Sorry, won't run on an Apple].

Do you use a red filter?

The reason I like Cozumel... The people I have met over the years ...since 1979

What about the diving do you enjoy?
The current I am a lazy diver :)
The North End dive sites
The Caves on the island (Thanks for German of Yucatech Expeditions)
Access to the Mainland caves with Mateo (Matt) Moran of Blue Angel
Having Jorge (Cubano) of Blue Angel as a divemaster
Punta Sur on twin 80's with deco gas for long bottom times:)

What do you enjoy top side?
When I was younger Carlos and Charlies / Scaramouche (Sp?) where Canadian girls with Cowboy hats and boots did their thing on the tables.:cheers:
Coming back after Hurricanes Gilbert 1988 and Wilma 2005 and seeing how fast the people on the island recover.
In my later years the sunsets/ night dives and sharing dives with my daughter.
Watching my old buddies on the island age gracefully like I am:)

Can't wait to head back, hopefully sooner than later.
JIm

Here's a three-minute slide show that I put together to answer your question:

http://chemistry.csudh.edu/faculty/jim/ColorfulCozumel.exe

"Save" to your computer and then "run;" I don't want to overload the server. Yes, you can trust the source. Turn up the volume. Do NOT run this at work...

[Sorry, won't run on an Apple].

You really should work on your photography....

:shocked2: Just kidding. Very awesome!

I'm assuming you shot all that on one dive right? :D

Only thing I want you to do is lengthen the time on each pic, I want to stare at each one for like 30 seconds!

awsome slide show... can't wait to go back again in November!

Why do i love Coz?
I feel so incredibly safe there.... the locals are awsome! It's also pretty unique in that ex-pats don't remain aloof... but tie into the tapestry of the island seamlessly; everyone I have met treats visitors as potential friends. That is a great way to live life...

oh...I nearly forgot (not).. nudibranchs!....and Toad Fish!

And... my "sucum"... Rudy... the missus loves those burgers (they are low fat right?)

Why I love Cozumel,

The great food! (great prices also)
Locals are extremely friendly!
Diving is awesome.
Feels safer than home. (Philadelphia area)

Also,

I have few friends that dive and usually take my dive trips alone so finding cool people to hang out with and dive with is always something I look for in a destination. Cozumel so far has been the best with finding nice like minded people to dine and dive with.

Looking forward to another great trip in October!!!

Thank you Ted for posting a positive topic!

This is not in any particular order:

- The local people
- My students
- My divers
- The food
- Breakfast looking at the sea
- The music
- The live music at the plaza
- The deep sea fishing
- The stars at night on the other side of the island
- The turtles on the other side of the island
- Cedral Wall dove my way
- My husband
- My neighbors
- The color of the water, this will never get boring
- The sand between my toes
- The quietness
- The security
- The possibility to make my hobby my work and it still does not feel like work!
- Our home
- My dog
- The social life, it is still a small town
- The colors under water
- The climate
- The easy life
- The smiles on peoples faces

Keep up the positivism!

Back
Top Bottom