Why I love Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's the ability to do reef diving and amazing cenotes on the same trip, with a killer $5 lunch at las palmas somewhere in there too.

Like so many have already posted, it's the people, the beautiful water and the great food. I first came to Cozumel (dare I say it!) on a cruise ship, and some years before I started diving. I liked it, but hadn't fallen in love yet. Then I took up diving and discovered not only the beauty beneath the water, but the great qualities above the water. Like cicopo said, you can show up at the Plaza on Sunday night and be totally welcomed by the locals. We can go to our favorite restaurant back in the neighborhood, and be recognized and happily welcomed by the staff - even when we haven't been on island in months. And then there's the diving ... I haven't been around the world, but I have done a few dives around the Caribbean and Florida. Cozumel has some of the best dives I've experienced. I can top it all off with making a life long friend out of what started as a dive day booked on-line, and has turned into a 5 year relationship with my friend Alison. I think no matter where I travel in the future, Cozumel will always be my home away from home ....:D

Every island I have had the priviledge of visiting has its' own heartbeat. Coz is so different as it is close to the mainland but it is 'out there in the ocean'. There is a sense of calm to me on the island the second I land, either by plane or on the ferry dock. I just feel comfortable. Always have. My mother grew up with her arthritic mom at Acapulco so she had all sorts of Mexican stories and she would speak Spanish words to us kids. It endeared me to Mexico, I always had a pang in my heart to visit but just never did until my mom got sick. I felt an urgency to experience Mexico for her and bring back stories of my own to her. I was diving a lot elsewhere and I had my stories of these places then out of the blue someone mentioned Cozumel to me and my mother asked me why didnt I go. I had never been on the net looking for dive solutions before, this forum opened up a new world for me. I was able to tell my mom that Cancun was very unique to me and that I loved to see the sites and smell the smells, to try communicating even though I knew zero spanish. And that the people are beautiful. But Cozumel was a place I could not explain as my life is so hectic at home I couldnt put to words how calm I felt on the island. I told her how amazing it was that I could make friends so fast there and my life feels like it has changed forever as I want that peace at home also. When we travel, my wife is along for the ride as I become the tour operator, now when we go to Coz she feels the love I do for the place, she feels secure there. She can stroll the ocean boardwalk and feel no fear. She knows my love for diving and she is forgiving in my addiction to learning the craft. She also knows how I love to have fun with fellow divers, to share their joy too and add to it. Whats funny for me now is when I travel other than Coz I compare the experience to how I am on the island. I have yet to be satiated with peace in my heart like I am on Cozumel at any other holiday destination. For me also the dive op that I share dives with is also a huge part of my pleasure with the island. Their personality of island love hits mine like paint on a wall, it just covers me. I feel very happy when I am with them and they have fun with me. I like that. They have invited me to their homes and that is an honour. Owners and people that work at the place we eat are amazing to me. They truly give their all. I like to honour that also.
I love to beach comb, that never gets old. Exploring is just fun. I now drive 50kms an hour around the island, island speed. I find myself not racing in my suburban at home now. I also shut my phone off more.
I cant close without saying how the diving is for me. The wonders of Cozumels' reefs are just simply mind blowing for me. I have been to them enough that I could lead the dives yet they are new every time I hit one. I think the enthusiasm that my dms exude each time we blow bubbles together is infectious. I love to show them how I appreciate their world. By being a courteous diver, a safe diver, a helpful diver, a diver that listens to the rules of the island for diving (except I do have a knife on my bc), and I tip.
Cozumel is always on my mind, I dont think I will have a problem spending my free time there for the rest of my life, I am 51 and in great shape physically, I pray my new found addiction I can keep! I hope others take the time to feel the island like I do. What a great place to share.

One of the other things that I'm sure many of us like about Cozumel is the fact you don't run into panhandlers, beggars or beach vendors. So far the only time I have ever been approached for a donation was by the kids at Christmas time & they sang a Christmas Carol in return for the donation. I quickly found out that it was an organized campaign used to raise money for their annual Christmas party, and it was a long standing tradition. Other than then I've never had anyone expecting a hand out.

Since I've been thinking of Cozumel a bit more lately (can't go this winter because of an upcoming leg operation) there's one other thing my wife & I always talk about that makes Cozumel special. The kids are like none we've seen anywhere else. Always friendly & welcoming, and ready to have their picture taken (and their parents are proud that you'd like to do it), but best of all they don't have a panic attack or throw a tantrum when some other kid's parent buys them candy or some other treat from a street vendor or food booth. We've waited for a lot of parades, and sat around the square watching them & how they act. They seldom cry even if hurt, but I've never seen one get wound up because their mother or father didn't buy them what some other parent did for their kid. They are little gems compared to what we see in the malls or stores here.

Here's a three-minute slide show that I put together to answer your question:

http://chemistry.csudh.edu/faculty/jim/ColorfulCozumel.exe

"Save" to your computer and then "run;" I don't want to overload the server. Yes, you can trust the source. Turn up the volume. Do NOT run this at work...

[Sorry, won't run on an Apple].

jlyle-your slide is amazing, I love the music. Thanks for taking the time. I am going to watch that alot. I am going to load it on my laptop for the screen saver. kev

Awsome slide show. Thanks. Larry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom