Why is DIR all black?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You didn't hit a nerve. There just isn't any need for it. The dive industry sells the latest and greatest colors to get you to purchase something new. That's how they survive.

Not a nerve, we were just kidding around with each other. Well, I don't have a black drysuit and neither does Waterlover, so I guess you don't have to have a black one. As for the rest of the gear, I think that the reason Halcyon only makes black gear is that it probably doesn't fade as bad as lighter colors, it is considered cool looking, and it is probably cheaper to only make everything in one color.

I also think it is something of a statement against the dive industry that seems to promote nifty colors as a reason to buy gear and the emphasis on color coordination over functionality.

Then again, I really don't know :D

Hehehe... I noticed... but I was surprised at the sudden flood of replies only minutes after I posted the topic! :D

Actually, from a manufacturing stand point... black also goes with everything... so if you need to match a black BC with something, you actually just have to change a few bungee cords, and velco straps if ever. Then you've got matching color accents. :wink:

hmmm, they also say black is slimming, so that's MY reason! LOL :wink:

I noticed somthing in a video I saw - several DIr divers in all black except for their light blue gloves. When they made an "OK" sign, you knew is was an OK sign...

Simply because they are ninjas!! :D

Thats also why they dive with all those knives and hidden throwing stars!!

They think they can outrun sharks wearing their jetfins, so why not look as much like a sea lion as possible?

It is kind of funny, the trend to all black. The rec guys started noticing that the tech divers were favoring black so now black is starting to get more popular in rec gear. What's even funnier is watching a DIR diver try to justify his/her all black gear. They will say how you can't see colors at depth or that it will eventually fade and won't be as visible anyway. Aren't faded hot-pink fins more visible at 50' than black fins anyway? At 100', maybe not but at least you got some benefit from them on the way down. What you will never hear from a DIR diver is the real reason - black makes us look cool - has anyone seen my submachine gun and night vision goggles?

Anyway, I'm looking for a pink 50# wing with yellow flowers on it, can anyone recommend a source.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom