Why is spit such a good defogger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
I have forgotten to spit in my mask on occasion and the mask definitely fogs up. I have to keep rinsing it with water and clearing it since I won't surface and I haven't learned how to spit effectively at 100 ft.

I have a "friend" that finds himself in this predicament often. He just takes his mask off and licks the lenses...inside and out. He swears by this method!

What's the point of licking the outside of the lenses?

Gac:
What's the point of licking the outside of the lenses?
Fiber of course.

Vtdiver2:
Please don't shoot the messenger :comeandge just what I was told
Well in all ancient tragedies messenger was killed, so sorry Chris... :m16:
BTW it's absolutly not true - all my lady friends spit and it works. Also works for me - never used anything else ...
Mania

Walter:
It's not. At best, it's a poor substitute.

I'm with Walter.

I don't feel like having organisms growing in my mask. I've seen / heard of folks with fungus and other stuff growing in their masks after (around the edges and in the gasket).

I'm more than happy with a tiny dab of defogger.

gecko3s:
I like spit because if for some reason or another I have to take my mask off before I descend but after I'm in the water, I can just spit in it again, rather than worrying about carrying around a bottle of goup...

Uhh..... ok. :06:

I've never had this issue before, infact my mask is often good for a few dives before having to reapply defogger. This could be due to the fact that I'm actually using a defogger instead of spit....

Spit works for me! My sister actually bought a small bottle of defogger together with the mask. You can imagine her frustration when she discovered that it didn't do squat.

Cheers
Bojan

RainX will work, but you REALLY don't want to get that stuff in your eyes!!

Stay away from it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom