Why isn't DIR universally metric?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I see from the "Imperialists" are lame excuses, rhetoric and unsubstantial opinions adding nothing noteworthy to the discussion. . . (this is the real de facto "dark side" of group think, also called "drinking the koolaid". . .)

Uhm.

Shark.

Jump.

You're confusing laziness and convenience with group think.

I use imperial units and don't convert to metric for the same reason that I use the same 10 commands in vi that I've used for the past 20 years. It is what I learned, it works for me, and there's little incentive for me to change right now... And I'm definitely not changing to metric to satisfy you (and your demands to have everyone change to metric are much closer to 'group think'...)

dimensional_analysis.png

holy crap that is hilarious.

i want that on a t-shirt....

Argue for your limitations, and sure enough: They're all yours. . .

Laugh away homey . . .(where you & your ignorance is bliss, 'tis utter folly to be wise):shakehead:

So help an ignorant imperialist out here ...

If I wanted to dive Truk on deep air while using ratio deco, and NOT get bent; what would my profile look like in metric units?

So help an ignorant imperialist out here ...

If I wanted to dive Truk on deep air while using ratio deco, and NOT get bent; what would my profile look like in metric units?

:rofl3:

This whole thing is comical.

"My way of figuring out how much gas I have is better!"
"No! Mine is"
"Eh, it doesn't really matter, as long as you know..."
"One way HAS to be best!!"

Really? Come on. If I know how much gas I have and so do you, whats it matter? If the team is on the same page, then mission accomplished in your pre-dive plan. I don't really care if you think in imperial, metric, French, Chinese, or what, so long as you can plan a dive with me, communicate your plan with me, and we can both execute said plan.

I do all my gas calculations using base-13 ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Uhm.

Shark.

Jump.

You're confusing laziness and convenience with group think.

I use imperial units and don't convert to metric for the same reason that I use the same 10 commands in vi that I've used for the past 20 years. It is what I learned, it works for me, and there's little incentive for me to change right now... And I'm definitely not changing to metric to satisfy you (and your demands to have everyone change to metric are much closer to 'group think'...)

Oh god, not a vi user! Those people are the debil!!!!

To me Imperial Units are a bit like the Julian Calendar. Sure, you can work with a year of 360 days, but the law of historical inevitability says the traditionalists eventually come across to the easier method.

It took the Russians until 1918 (ie. 336 years) to adopt the Gregorian calendar. So on the same basis, I expect the US to finally go Metric in the year 2127.

EDIT: Bugger, it seems that the Berber people in North Africa still use the Julian calendar. So there is no telling when the US will finally go Metric.

It took the Russians until 1918 (ie. 336 years) to adopt the Gregorian calendar. So on the same basis, I expect the US to finally go Metric in the year 2127.

We just don't to spontaneously lose 14 ft between 60' and 100' :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom