Why isn't DIR universally metric?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Argue for your limitations, and sure enough: They're all yours. . .

Laugh away homey . . .(where you & your ignorance is bliss, 'tis utter folly to be wise):shakehead:

Okay, you've officially lost me.

And for those of us who did grow up with metric, we read these posts and see things like FSW and lbs and psi and cant make head or tail of it! One day our colonial cousins will agree that metric is simpler, better and it's time to change, we (the Brits) did back in the 1960s, it was worth it. (just my half-penny's worth :) )
]And for those of us who did grow up with imperial, we read these posts and see things like MSW and kg [or even weirder things like "stone"] and bar and cant make head or tail of it!

Well actually not true, we can make sense of it...

You can't beat a stone when it comes to measuring weight, it's so perfect.

Look, it's easy.... one stone is 14 pounds, with each pound being sixteen ounces. None of this kilograms rubbish.

Same with distance, one foot is 12 inches.... literally the distance of one foot, typically the same as the length of your forearm. A yard is three feet, and a mile is 1760 yards.

But don't forget, there are 8 furlongs to a mile, with 10 chains to a furlong.... each of which is 220 yards.

It only gets confusing when you think that there are 40 rods in a furlong, which makes 1 chain the same as 4 rods. And don't get me started on fathoms, shackles, cables and nautical miles!!!!

Oh, and a question.... for the metric countries, do you measure your bolt snaps in inches or mm???

I wonder how long a cricket pitch is these days?

Take your pick..... 22 yards (1 chain) or 20.1168m.

Most countries will always mix metric and Imperial units, I guess. The UK, for example, still measures distance in miles despite the fact it is illegal to sell a pound of minced beef. Go figure.

Take your pick..... 22 yards (1 chain) or 20.1168m.

Most countries will always mix metric and Imperial units, I guess. The UK, for example, still measures distance in miles despite the fact it is illegal to sell a pound of minced beef. Go figure.

We can sell kilos of beef (in fact its marked that way on the package) AND our speedometers are marked in both units. Who's superior now? :D

We can sell kilos of beef (in fact its marked that way on the package) AND our speedometers are marked in both units. Who's superior now? :D

Damn you! It's almost worth moving for! Though one thing I do miss about Europe is the speed limit on the German Autobahns (there isn't one!). :cool2:

I'll just have to cope with 454g.

The UK, for example, still measures distance in miles despite the fact it is illegal to sell a pound of minced beef. Go figure.

And don't forget about the most important one, the pint :cheers:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom