Why isn't DIR universally metric?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I see from the "Imperialists" are lame excuses, rhetoric and unsubstantial opinions adding nothing noteworthy to the discussion. . . (this is the real de facto "dark side" of group think, also called "drinking the koolaid". . .)

Someone really likes touching himself in public.

Prime examples of the group think mentality that pervades even a reasonable, rational and fundamental discussion of units of measurement in a "DIR" thread.

You guys either don't get out much internationally outside North America, or are you totally oblivious that the membership of GUE made up from 70 countries uses the metric system outside the US? Another example of the dumb ethno & national-centric American Tourist visiting abroad: doesn't know the language; doesn't appreciate the culture; and doesn't know the Metric System.

For the rest of the world, this is elementary stuff . . . (but it sounds like this is still way over your heads so you feign indifference & dismissal?:shakehead:)

You might want to bother checking my profile for where I live... then google "Canada" and notice our standard of measurement. At least then you won't look silly when you post, but that's your call. :wink:

This whole thing is comical.

"My way of figuring out how much gas I have is better!"
"No! Mine is"
"Eh, it doesn't really matter, as long as you know..."
"One way HAS to be best!!"

Really? Come on. If I know how much gas I have and so do you, whats it matter? If the team is on the same page, then mission accomplished in your pre-dive plan. I don't really care if you think in imperial, metric, French, Chinese, or what, so long as you can plan a dive with me, communicate your plan with me, and we can both execute said plan.

This whole thing is comical.

"My way of figuring out how much gas I have is better!"
"No! Mine is"
"Eh, it doesn't really matter, as long as you know..."
"One way HAS to be best!!"

Really? Come on. If I know how much gas I have and so do you, whats it matter? If the team is on the same page, then mission accomplished in your pre-dive plan. I don't really care if you think in imperial, metric, French, Chinese, or what, so long as you can plan a dive with me, communicate your plan with me, and we can both execute said plan.
Yep. What he said.

Daily successful DIR dives by both mixed Imperial-Metric and all Imperial teams pretty much shows this entire discussion to be irrelevant. Did having to learn battlefield calculations in Imperial make the process harder? Perhaps (I don't really know, it all seemed pretty straightforward), but at this point, I can easily make the necessary gas calculations on the fly.

I guess after having to do god knows how many unit conversion programs in every single language I've learned the whole metric vs imperial just doesn't matter to me. I care much more about what the numbers represent then the process of getting them.

I keep on pointing out to the Debian Zealots, that as a FreeBSD zealot myself, that I have a considerably better argument that both .deb and .rpm package management systems suck, and that true geeks build from source...

I think I'm going to start using Planck units in diving now, since those are more fundamental and therefore clearly superior to metric...

dimensional_analysis.png

All I see from the "Imperialists" are lame excuses, rhetoric and unsubstantial opinions adding nothing noteworthy to the discussion. . . (this is the real de facto "dark side" of group think, also called "drinking the koolaid". . .)

Imperialists? Heh.

I didn't read the whole thread (skipped some pages after the Nixon anecdote came up, but I from what I did read, I saw no one advocating the imperial system.

This is how I remember the thread...

You: Metric is easier because the math is simpler

Me: The mathematical process is the same

You: Here are some observations about my gas consumption rate and the cylinders I use which simplify my computations using metric units

Me: Here are some observations about my gas consumption rate and the cylinders I use which simplify my computations using imperial units

You: Metric is easier, and even though you understand something "harder," the metric system is above your head

Me: LOL

You: My opinions are more substantial that yours. All you post is rhetoric, you group-thinking koolaid drinker

Me: double LOL

I need a snickering machine gun cat.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom