Why isn't DIR universally metric?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More's the pity ... there was a half-hearted attempt to convert to metric back when I was in grade school ... about 50 years ago.

I sometimes think Americans have a deep need to be different just ... because ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think it was the Nixon administration who agreed with Prime Minister Trudeau that North America should join the civilized world and adopt metric. After investing millions of dollars to sell the Canadians on the idea and changing everything over to metric the US wimped out. So we ended up with a much superior system which we have never fully adopted since our neighbours to the south and one of our biggest trading partners are still living in the stone age:mooner:

I think it was the Nixon administration who agreed with Prime Minister Trudeau that North America should join the civilized world and adopt metric. After investing millions of dollars to sell the Canadians on the idea and changing everything over to metric the US wimped out. So we ended up with a much superior system which we have never fully adopted since our neighbours to the south and one of our biggest trading partners are still living in the stone age:mooner:
My memories of the attempt predate Nixon ... it was at least Johnson, if not Kennedy.

we got 2-liter coke bottles out of it. :D

... and they got 10-Mile Point ... :confused:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

our neighbours to the south and one of our biggest trading partners are still living in the stone age

Diving doubles, huh? :D

For double 11 litre tanks (double AL80's) for a total of 22 litres/bar metric tank rating and a volume SCR of 22 litres/min (same as pressure SCR of 1 bar/min*ATA), using an example NDL/Minimum Deco dive to 30m depth in Open Water.

Rock Bottom with one minute stops every 3 meters to the surface,
-->Just "tally the ATA's":

Sum Total: 26.5 --this also happens to be the pressure in bar needed for one person to reach the surface.

For two divers: 26.5 multiplied by 2 equals 53 bar.

For two experienced divers stressed: 53 bar plus 30% of 53 bar equals 69 bar.

For two novice divers stressed: 53 bar plus 100% of 53 bar equals 106 bar.

From post#7 above, you will consume 40 bar of gas in 10min at 30m depth; therefore in 20min you will have consumed 80 bar of backgas from your double 11 litre tanks. A full twinset is 200 bar, so you now have 120 bar left in backgas after 20min at 30m (and 20min is the NDL for 30 meters on Air mix) --an adequate amount left over should you have to gas share at the highest value of your Rock Bottom Range (106 bar).

For Nitrox 32 backgas, NDL is 30min at 30 meters. Again from post#7, you will consume 40 bar of gas in 10min at 30m depth; therefore in 30min you'll consume 120 bar. A full twinset is 200 bar, so you now have 80 bar left in Nitrox 32 backgas after 30min at 30m --enough left over for a gas share between two experienced divers (Rock Bottom of 69 bar).

I do recall driving down the highway in Arizona while TDY. The crew wanted to go to Nogales, MX. And the signs to the next town were in metric. We all had to do some unexpected mental math. (Wasn't difficult, but seeing km on a sign in the states was kind of a fun diversion.)

Also, I recall a supervisor in the AF tell me about moving to Alaska. Was driving there with most of his stuff in his truck and hit the US/Canadian border. Saw that the speed limit signs were marked "100" and put the hammer down, as they say in the song "Convoy." Needless to say, he got pulled over, after an hour or so (!) doing nearly double the speed limit. The cop saw what was going on and spent a suitably long period of time laughing at him and told him to stick to about 62 miles an hour and use some common sense. Doing 160 km/h on the ALCAN highway is a little absurd.

What does this mean? I'm not DIR at all, although I think if I start heading towards tech, I'll probably adopt it. It's just that most Americans (generally excluding science) think in imperial measurements. Metric is usually easier, but that's not what we grew up with. That being said, I'm about to travel at approximately 2 m/s to the fridge for another Labatt Blue. I know a good system when I see one.

All in fun, as long as we're all safe and on the same page.

Eric

Just goes to show you who wears the pants on this here continent :D

Just goes to show you who wears the pants on this here continent :D

More like the cousin who went to school on the short bus. You speak slowly and plainly so he understands:wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom