Why isn't DIR universally metric?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was former GUE and 5th-dx Instructor Delia Milliron's monograph on "Battlefield Calculations" which motivated me to switch to the metric system, as well as most of my technical deep dives are overseas with dive buddies from Asia or Europe. . .

It was former GUE and 5th-dx Instructor Delia Milliron's monograph on "Battlefield Calculations" which motivated me to switch to the metric system, as well as most of my technical deep dives are overseas with dive buddies from Asia or Europe. . .

Wow...that article was engrossing after consuming almost 1100 ml of beer (Longhorns-Alabama game). I do like how it makes metric seem to be much easier to do the math in your head versus imperial measurements, but alas I grew up on the imperial system and that's what I work with easiest.

I guess the difference is that, if diving with metric buddies, just agree on a few common numbers for the dive that translate well with each other. Also, use equipment that reads in both metric and imperial ie. certain SPGs.

Having said that, I do know how to work the metric system but since I dive with a bunch of "uncivilized american divers" I am unfortunately stuck using the imperial system. Now if you'll excuse me I am going to walk about 10 meters to my bed and exert approximately 52 kilograms of force on my bed for the next few hours.

Peace,
Greg

Not only DIR but whole US should move to metric system. Staying imperila is not logical. US is all about making life easier and simpler, and with the imperial system is exactly the other way around.
:D :D :D

Wow...that article was engrossing after consuming almost 1100 ml of beer (Longhorns-Alabama game). I do like how it makes metric seem to be much easier to do the math in your head versus imperial measurements, but alas I grew up on the imperial system and that's what I work with easiest.

I guess the difference is that, if diving with metric buddies, just agree on a few common numbers for the dive that translate well with each other. Also, use equipment that reads in both metric and imperial ie. certain SPGs.

Having said that, I do know how to work the metric system but since I dive with a bunch of "uncivilized american divers" I am unfortunately stuck using the imperial system. Now if you'll excuse me I am going to walk about 10 meters to my bed and exert approximately 52 kilograms of force on my bed for the next few hours.

Peace,
Greg
The few "common numbers", also known as common cardinal numbers & sequences for depth as an example:

Depth in Imperial Units: 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 etc(by intervals of 10')
Depth in Metric Units.....: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30 etc (by intervals of 3m)

If you have to convert back to Imperial, just remember to multiply by 10/3; but the goal is to eventually do all arithmetic and learn how to think & communicate in the Metric System, with no unnecessary intermediate "crutch" conversions back to Imperial. . .

Also for pressure arithmetic on your SPG on-the-fly with that extra order of magnitude in Imperial can be cumbersome . . . Subtract 825 psi from 2640 psi easily & quickly in your head??? --versus the equivalent Metric conversion of 55bar subtracted from 176bar. . . Much easier, more convenient.

Last edited:
I sometimes think Americans have a deep need to be different just ... because ... :eyebrow:

Don't get me started on gallons.... I mean, why have a different sized gallon in the US than a good old Imperial gallon!?

AndyNZ:
Just emigrate, it sounds like the right option for you.
Trust me, I've thought about it :D. Metric is so much easier.

It's interesting to me, I grew up in the UK just as it was switching from Imperial to Metric... I'm equally conversant in either for weight, distances etc... in fact, probably one of the few people who knows just how many chains there are in a furlong, and how many leagues to a fathom.

Gas calcs, metric all the way. 2400L of gas in a tank is 2400L, none of this "it's an 80 cu ft tank, but actually it's only 77.4 cu ft of gas" rubbish.

Emigration was one of the most cathartic and enjoyable experiences of my life, definitely recommended... makes you truly appreciate everything in life.

So...how many decades are we going to spend arguing whether the US should transition to the metric system?

Talk about beating a dead horse. It is what it is, get over it. If you wanted to continue that type of discussion, why don't we talk about why Canada can't decide what language to use?

Never mind going metric, I just wish people would adopt the European standard of referring to tank sizes by their residual volume, not the volume of gas held at working pressure. Like anyone really fills their tanks to working pressure...

Of course, it is a lot easier to do that and calculate gas if you work in bar instead of PSI.

American metrification is happening at a glacial pace though. Wetsuit thickness used to be measured in fractions of an inch - now they are measured in millimeters. First wetsuits, tomorrow... well we'll see.

mania:
Not only DIR but whole US should move to metric system.

I love you Mania, but that's an issue that should be decided by citizens of the US. When I travel, I encounter many things I would do differently, but I enjoy the differences of the different lands I visit. I don't tell the nice people I meet they should do things my way.

Rhone Man:
Never mind going metric, I just wish people would adopt the European standard of referring to tank sizes by their residual volume, not the volume of gas held at working pressure.

That's an illogical method. Regardless of what units are used to measure my gas, I need to know how much it holds full, not empty.

Rhone Man:
Wetsuit thickness used to be measured in fractions of an inch - now they are measured in millimeters.

I used to think that, but I was recently told by someone who makes wet suits that neoprene is still made in factions of an inch, but when they sell the suits they call a ¼ inch suit a 7 mil suit. I do not know if it's true or not.....

That's an illogical method. Regardless of what units are used to measure my gas, I need to know how much it holds full, not empty.

That's easy - you multiply the volume by your pressure in bar. If I fill an 11 litre tank to 230 bar, I can work out my gas volume pretty quickly.

If I fill a Steel 72 to 2,600 (or worse yet, find one that had only has 2,000 in it) I can eventually work out the gas volume, but the obscure "rounding up" of working volumes and having 14.7 PSI to each atmosphere makes it a real pain.

Sure, but that's no reason to continue a practice that makes no sense from the standpoint of either uniformity or simplicity.
Much like how most everything in Aviation is in Imperial measures, it could be risky to change over to another system when peoples lives are at risk. Its why it was setup as a worldwide standard. Both activities evolved here in the states, so the majority of the users used imperial measures. When it was, due to a lack of a better term, exported/used more in other countries, the standard continued.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom