Suggestion Why isn't there a "Men's Forum"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Male specific issues? What about mask seals with mustaches? Can a bearded guy get a seal with a full face mask? Does bleeding from razor burn attract sharks? Since men average larger body sizes, why don't manufacturers make more big sizes and more vendors carry them - I was recently after a 'larger than 3XL' thin wetsuit for warm water where I'll be required to have a full suit, and this was quite the hassle to find cheap. Hope 'Henderson Lycra Hot Skin: Superior Diveskin for Layering' is good stuff. Men don't live as long on average; we have to dive more times/year to get the same dives into our lifetimes. Big feet need big fins! (I wear size 15). Big heads need big hoods! (A 2XL Henderson AquaLock on my bowling ball head pulls on my lower jaw). Big hands need big gloves (fingers in even 2XL gloves aren't long enough; I've got long fingers). Maybe a forum for the anatomically challenged?

Richard.

. How many men have gotten 'taken to the cleaners' in divorce proceedings?

Answer: Not as many as women impoverished by divorce.

If she took 2 or 3 years off for childcare after having a baby, and he didn't, then he's got 2 or 3 years more seniority.

Answer: Which he would NOT have if the wife had not covered his half of the childcare responsibility.

. In many cases, that money becomes family money.-Answer: Damn Straight!
My Mom quit Radcliffe to support my Dad at Harvard-Bad Outcome!
I got an MBA and a son same time as my Hubby: family money it is indeed since he benefits from my staying home, and he appreciates this.
Guys that think they got taken to the cleaners are never the guys that supported their wives careers.
But what if it was your daughter that YOU put through college and some son in law said, "thanks for the kids, My money and I are leaving now"
You end up buying your grandkids a place to live.

Yes, there are tragedy stories both ways. I don't have to ask around far to find women done wrong by the opposite gender...or men!

Interestingly enough, I wonder why we see the recurrent theme of women pulling out of maximizing their careers to financially support a husband's career progress?

Richard.

P.S.: I was single through my professional career advancement. My wife quit work after we married and advanced her Associates to a Bachelor Degree, and for now she's a stay at home Mom. My point is, we should be careful how far we generalize anecdotal experiences.

Yes, there are tragedy stories both ways. I don't have to ask around far to find women done wrong by the opposite gender...or men!

Answer: that would be one of my brothers stories.

Interestingly enough, I wonder why we see the recurrent theme of women pulling out of maximizing their careers to financially support a husband's career progress?

Question: why don't men want to be stay at home Dads? It worked out for Clive Cussler.

Richard.

P.S.: I was single through my professional career advancement. My wife quit work after we married and advanced her Associates to a Bachelor Degree, and for now she's a stay at home Mom. My point is, we should be careful how far we generalize anecdotal experiences.

Well you are a role model for future husbands. I hope you are raising sons to be as supportive as you have been.

Meanwhile my daughter is planning to have a stay at home husband, I hope he turns out to be the next Clive Cussler.

We have a firecracker of a little 3 year old daughter. One of my goals is to raise her with the mindset she is not to be dependent on any man (but Christ). Her, uh, 'spirit' led my wife to show me an online post - 'Those moments you hope your child's sass will help them lead a company and not a gang in prison.'

I hear orange is the new black...

Richard.

why don't men want to be stay at home Dads? It worked out for Clive Cussler

I was a stay at home dad, I did it for 2 and a half years, and before I met my wife I was a single parent of two kids who's mom decided she didn't want them any more (I also don't get child support).

I was the only stay at home dad I knew It gets lonely being one. I got real tiered of the "Mr Mom" stuff also. As a stay at home dad, you will get use to people (mostly woman in my experience I think men are jealous) looking at you like you are lazy, you get to explain your self to people you see for the first year. You slowly get emasculated. You don't get a social life because all your buddies got jobs during the day and you can't go out after your wife gets home because she just worked all day and some one has to cook and stuff. You can try to hang out with the stay at home moms but that doesn't work out because men and woman have different interests. What you also need to know is all the husbands will think you are screwing their wives. It got to the point with me that the only person I seen over the age of 10 was my wife.

The best part is my two little girls are tough as nails and wont take no flack from any one and my son can clean a house.

I think if more men did stay at home with the children it would be cool, then there would be play groups that are more male oriented. Right now it's hard for a man to be a stay at home dad, too much sexism.

Sadly, the stay at home Dads I know really get no support, and that is just wrong. My husband is a work from home computer guy, and he has some wierd scheduling to make time to play hockey and get a social life, but we are so unstructured it would drive most people nuts.
I hope your kids are interested in diving, only one of my two went for it. I am still hoping my college son will go for it on his own.

They are all about the water, they want to start scuba, but they are still a little young.
I think if there was more support for stay at home dads, more men would do it. Being the only guy at the park sucks.

I was a stay at home dad, I did it for 2 and a half years, and before I met my wife I was a single parent of two kids who's mom decided she didn't want them any more (I also don't get child support).

I was the only stay at home dad I knew It gets lonely being one. I got real tiered of the "Mr Mom" stuff also. As a stay at home dad, you will get use to people (mostly woman in my experience I think men are jealous) looking at you like you are lazy, you get to explain your self to people you see for the first year. You slowly get emasculated. You don't get a social life because all your buddies got jobs during the day and you can't go out after your wife gets home because she just worked all day and some one has to cook and stuff. You can try to hang out with the stay at home moms but that doesn't work out because men and woman have different interests. What you also need to know is all the husbands will think you are screwing their wives. It got to the point with me that the only person I seen over the age of 10 was my wife.

The best part is my two little girls are tough as nails and wont take no flack from any one and my son can clean a house.

I think if more men did stay at home with the children it would be cool, then there would be play groups that are more male oriented. Right now it's hard for a man to be a stay at home dad, too much sexism.
I'm a single dad, well.. I was until last summer when I finally re-married. I raised my son (now 16) and daughter (now 18) from the time they were 3 and 5 by myself. I wasn't a stay at home dad, though. I kept my job and used a daycare.
Sure know what you mean abut the stigma associated with raising kids with no wife, though.

I'd like to see a men's forum too, and not just the "pub" which is opt-in, and full of stuff I don't want to see. We need places to talk about condom catheter sizing and usage ya know!

It's funny that the opt-in pub is the "men's forum" but the women's is not opt-in. The posts in that forum show up for me when I click "new posts" despite me not having opted into it. That means if I am not carefully examining the URL's I might accidentally respond to a post in the women's perspectives forum. If the "women's perspectives" were also opt-in, it would eliminate most men's participation I'm pretty sure. I know the times I've chimed in on a thread there it has been because I didn't notice the thread belonged in the women's section.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom