Why no hands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is also the twist of the body that goes along with the scooping of the water. We're moving weightless in a dense 3d environment after all, making the most of that fact is where it's at.

I try to use seals and sea lions for an example of excellent diving, rather than instructors. Sounds like you have been paying attention to them as well.

Bob

The question of efficiency depends on the amount of force and whether the force used will work in time to be usefull. Picture, if you will, a diver in 10 or so foot surge and 5 to ten foot viz, once you see the object there is a limited time to avoid it. Due to the placement of fins on the body it will take a lot more force to direct oneself from an object dead ahead than using ones hands against the water to redirection the body, using the fins to complete the move. Efficiency should also include whether the move can be made in time, not just whether it could be made.

My buddy missed a move and got a bloody nose for the error, don't ask why we were there. Most of the time we dive there conditions are better, or we move to another area.

As before, I do not advocate using the hands to no apparent purpose. As a diver gets experience they should be able to tell what moves are a waste of energy, and discontinue their use.

Bob
I know what you’re talking about with Norcal diving. It might be a nice day out in the middle of open water and we don’t always mean to venture into the washing machine, but sometimes navigation might be a degree or two off and you find yourself up against the cliff in school bus size rocks with the surge whipping you through some of those cracks and channels. You do what ever it takes not to get sent ass over teakettle and right into a bunch of rocks or urchins. If that means using your hands to deflect oncoming hazards or grabbing onto the rock to keep from getting sucked back, so be it. It ain’t pretty but nobody’s looking either. This is when the most perfect pristine diver learns real quick that survival is probably better than looking pretty, and all their skydiving and crossed arms/no hands are pretty much out the window.
I’m more about freestyle and using whatever tools are needed to complete the objective. If that means using hands at some point then I guess I’m an amateur, and I’m ok with that.

My wife/buddy has a regrettable habit of hitting my camera or even knocking off my mask with her hands...unintentionally, of course.

When we are moving in the water, the fins are infinitely larger than our hands and make a much more efficient method of propulsion whether that is forward, backwards

Did you really say “infinitely” larger? Just how big are your fins? Or do you have DJT hands? :wink:

Did you really say “infinitely” larger? Just how big are your fins? Or do you have DJT hands? :wink:

infinite is obviously an exaggeration. I use Deep6 Eddy in XXL so the blade is roughly 12"x9" per fin or call it 120sqin since you get something out of the foot pocket area. My hand is roughly 8"x4" excluding thumb so 30 ish sqin. Assume stiffness is the same, so the fin has ~4x the surface area vs my hand. That's fairly substantial when it comes to moving around

Sure, but full disclosure, at 54 I was a US Masters Swimming All American. I'd give is a go.

How about also doing 34.2 miles over 24 hours, with the same fins.
Time 0:42 to skip the fake starwars intro.
Longest underwater distance without surfacing [Europe]

Not sure you want to do that with Jets, maybe freediving ones.
19.4 hours swimming, avg speed while swimming: 1.76 mph. Average over 24 hours: 1.4 mph.

With Forcefin Pros. From the video these do not look like the more powerful Tan Delta versions which were translucent. I'm not saying Pros are best for technical, I've moved to the ForceFin Hockey as they're more powerful than my regular Pros, and easier for technical kicks.

ETA: fix that Clark used TanDelta Pros while Jens used regular Pros.

Sure, but full disclosure, at 54 I was a US Masters Swimming All American. I'd give is a go.

Sounds like it would have been a good race!! Note you are the only taker!

Back
Top Bottom