Why no hands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, we're equating sculling with putting your mask on your forehead? Why?

You ask this as the Chairman?!? Are you still on pain meds? :wink:

infinite is obviously an exaggeration. I use Deep6 Eddy in XXL so the blade is roughly 12"x9" per fin or call it 120sqin since you get something out of the foot pocket area. My hand is roughly 8"x4" excluding thumb so 30 ish sqin. Assume stiffness is the same, so the fin has ~4x the surface area vs my hand. That's fairly substantial when it comes to moving around

:(
We’re back to this discussion again.

www.darkfingloves.com

Using your logic, wearing large surface-area gloves would make it OK to scull. Politely disagree.

:(
We’re back to this discussion again.

www.darkfingloves.com

Using your logic, wearing large surface-area gloves would make it OK to scull. Politely disagree.

we are way off topic.
Sculling is not a deliberate motion and is typically indicative of discomfort in the water and should never be allowed.
Intentional hand motion should be used as a secondary motion if the use of fins is impractical, but fins should be the primary method of propulsion and positioning. Larger surface area makes it more effective, and it frees your hands up to be able to do things.

That is my logic and has somehow been mistaken for all hand motion. I use my hands when I have to, typically when against a stationary object, i.e. cave diving in high flow.

Sculling is not a deliberate motion and is typically indicative of discomfort in the water and should never be allowed..

A lot of people treading water would probably disagree.

My hand is roughly 8"x4" excluding thumb so 30 ish sqin. Assume stiffness is the same, so the fin has ~4x the surface area vs my hand.

Could be a pair of these are in your future.
t-_043reduced_to_648_x_972__25881-1473170964-jpg.444376.jpg

Darkfin | Webbed Gloves for Surfing, Diving, Swimming, Snorkeling

Bob

How about also doing 34.2 miles over 24 hours, with the same fins.

In a pool, with that support, not that impressive. Especially with fins. 2 years ago I did a Postal Swim Meet, no training for it, but it was an 1 hour timed swim, jumped in and did 4275 yards in that hour, no big deal, no fins, went to work after. Now I get it, big difference swimming a solid 24 hours, but he was doing about 2500 yards per hour. That means I could swim 1/2 hour, take a 1/2 break (eat drink rest) and do it again. 12 hours of solid swimming. Very doable without fins, with fins, I could even sleep a bit! But I would not want to use Force-Fins to surface swim, they are wonky on the surface, they are better underwater.

Most I've ever swam, without fins, was 6 1/2 miles in about 2 1/2 hours, with the current. Did a 5k open water into a nasty current in an 1:48, that sucked.

oops never-mind.. someone beat me to it.

Attachments

• Swimming-Gloves-6.jpg
    Swimming-Gloves-6.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 42
When I have a new student using their hands in confined water, it is never for the right reasons. They are not supplementing their kick, they are not using it to facilitate a turn. I believe it is due to some combination of failing to fin/kick much/correctly or even to kick at all; trying to manage their position in the water column; or just nervousness and habit due to an ingrained default belief that "I will sink and drown if I stop moving in water."

So yeah, stop using your hands and just use your feet, your BCD, and your lungs please. But also, okay, go ahead and use your hands to turn in a tight space. Show me you can do that, and then later on you can try to convince me that using hands to swim on scuba isn't a near complete waste of energy.

Now, who mentioned Mike Nelson? He used his hands ALL the time, both swimming and sculling. But go look at the size of the duck fins he was wearing, and notice that there is no buoyancy device at all, just a wetsuit, a weight belt, and a tank or two strapped to his back. Different needs, different techniques.

Back
Top Bottom