Why no poor man's rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you speaking of a meg rebreather.? If so you can read about a few on this site. One of which was a friend to a lot of us in this area. Its not very hard to find anyone who has died on megs, optimas, kiss, diverite. I know a ccr instructor who loves his unit and I talked to him a lot about them. I did a lot of looking and pondering so to speak and thats how I know about the deaths.

I think what Tienuts (gatta love that handle) is saying is that most, as in the vast majority of the deaths that are associated with rebreathers have occurred on fully automated (eCCR systems) rebreathers.

From what I can tell there have been close to 200 deaths on eCCR's to date and depending on who you talk to about it, that's a staggering 1-2 out of every 100 users! To date there have been a total of about 3 fatalities on manual injection (m-CCR) systems. There are no solid conclusions to be made from the stats since we really don't have objective 3rd party research to work with but many of us feel that we will grow gray and fall in the grave before ultimate conclusions can be drawn... until then we are doing our best to deal with the spotty information we have access to. The numbers have been suggestive enough for me to be compelled to do some research on my own and get personal experience on both styles.

I contacted all the manufacturers of mCCR's last year and totalled up the number of units out there (strangely the eCCR numbers were not given freely from manufacturers of those units). From what I can tell, the fatality rate is about 3 in a thousand mCCR users, though it was zero until relatively recently. The recent uptick in fatalities has a lot of us watching the trend closely, fearing that the popularity of mCCR's may have inadvertently created unrealistic expectations in users with respect to safety... the irony is that as soon as you think your system is safer, your propensity toward fatal mistakes appears to sky rocket. Also there are limits to comparing numbers of eCCR vs mCCR units, while there are impressive dives being done on both, it's hard to tell if it's an apples to apples comparison in total number of diver hours or challenge of dives or even whether mCCR's are self selected by a user group that is inherently more anal. One thing is for sure, more time will tell us more. Still, given the challenge of little solid information, each of us has to make a determination based on the information now available and for me for now, I'm convinced that manual injection is my best bet for reducing overall risk, assuming I continue on with a healthy level of mistrust.

To me the most compelling evidence that the design/human nature match of mCCR's is better in terms of fatalities showed up in personal experience, having put considerable hours on both styles, but I realize that that is anecdotal.

My wife and I started out diving a fully automated type of rebreather and watched our life flash before our eyes with a variety of malfunctions with the computer set point controller, which is designed to keep a steady partial pressure of oxygen in the loop. We had unusually bad luck as these malfunctions came on pretty early in our closed circuit experience. To make matters worse, between the expense of the units, the impressive sophistication of them and the tendency to eventually trust the eCCR system too much, complacency had begun to creep in, leaving us at maximum vulnerability when the malfunctions struck. When we made the switch to mCCR, I noticed a categorical difference in my habits, which I think explains a lot: my level of alertness, my monitoring rate (how often I looked at the screen) and my understanding of how the unit functions expanded exponentially. There was no illusion that a computer would ultimately be more reliable than my own vigilance. The consequences of not paying attention are immediately apparent on an mCCR, your po2 starts to drop! Where as not paying attention on an eCCR has few immediate consequences unless it malfunctions at the same time ... paying attention to a number that rarely changes or requires much action leaves one tempted to "kick back with your feet on the dash board" as TieNuts so apply put. It appears that many people find ways to dive eCCR's safely, but it's sobering that the ones who often die using them are very experienced divers doing relatively mundane dives. Even smart people make stupid mistakes.

that said, I am completely aware that there is risk in diving any kind of rebreather and to speak more directly to the subject of this thread, Semi closed systems have little appeal and are being eclipsed by fully closed units, which indeed are coming down in price, particularly in the used market. I do believe there is a huge potential for a burgeoning market for rebreathers if the price comes down and more conclusive research is done to improve safety. As for predicting the coming of the Apocalypse, many people have tried, and so far, no one has been successful.:D

g

Thank you for that information Gill. I was never trying to take anything from those who use them but my point was they are more dangerous than OC. Thats just a fact ( considering properly trained users LOL ) and I kinda hate that. They are soo much lighter than my doubles but to me I see them as the old Harrier jets. They were called widowmakers, probably human error in most cases there too. That is a big improvement in the numbers you displayed. I do hope they continue to research and study and make improvements.

Just for my curiosity...
This thread is 8 years old. What happened after? Some people in this thread predicted the rise of low cost rebreathers, but unless I am mistaken it didn't really happen
Also the safety issues are still present and I don't know if the risks are lower with more modern equipment (don't think so)

Electronics have gotten more robust and flexible with the introduction of CAN systems, but the primary equipment failure points in CCR diving, galvanic O2 sensors and lack of monitoring CO2 are still present. There are a few CO2 monitors out there, I believe they have a bit of a dubious reputation as to their functionality though. Poseidon has introduced a solid state O2 sensor that seems to be the bees knees, but it is not widely accepted or prevalent yet. I think once Shearwater controllers can read them they will take off though.

Cost wise, rebreathers are about the same as they were 10 years ago, $10-$15K to make them ready to dive, there are just a couple more options.

I think the mccr vs eccr debate is pretty well settled (there is no difference in danger level), but I might think that because all the CCR specific forums have kinda gone down hill and I don't visit them anymore.

The whole "recreational rebreather" thing never panned out, fortunately.

Home builds have almost completely disappeared, and modifying your ccr has moved from fabricating a special one-off part to replacing one CE approved part for another, more expensive, CE approved part. So the market is more mature, but no less expensive.

-Chris

Oh, and people are still waiting for their Apocalypse eCCRs.

Last edited:
Perhaps they need to make a safe expensive one before they can make a safe cheap one.. Right now I dont see there being a safe one period.

I think there are lots of safe ones. Remove the idiot that keeps forgetting to turn on his Oxygen or Computer and they're just fine. I'm certified on several CCR's and I think they're all safe, provided that I do my part. Proper maintenance, proper setup, proper checklists, proper diving. No problem.

Electronics have gotten more robust and flexible with the introduction of CAN systems, but the primary equipment failure points in CCR diving, galvanic O2 sensors and lack of monitoring CO2 are still present. There are a few CO2 monitors out there, I believe they have a bit of a dubious reputation as to their functionality though. Poseidon has introduced a solid state O2 sensor that seems to be the bees knees, but it is not widely accepted or prevalent yet. I think once Shearwater controllers can read them they will take off though.

Cost wise, rebreathers are about the same as they were 10 years ago, $10-$15K to make them ready to dive, there are just a couple more options.

Again, it's not CO2 sensors or O2 sensors that are killing people. It's people diving with known bad sensors, or forgetting to turn their oxygen/computer on. Or, they are diving stuff they are brand new at, or not qualified to dive. For example: A relatively new CCR diver completing his trimix and CCR cave, then dying days later in a 300' deep in super restrictive cave.

Just my opinion, I wouldn't call rebreathers "safe" or at least any more (or less) safe than open circuit. In the hands of some people, rebreathers are WAY more dangerous than OC.

If you get complacent in any way, you can and will end up dead.

Just my opinion, I wouldn't call rebreathers "safe" or at least any more (or less) safe than open circuit. In the hands of some people, rebreathers are WAY more dangerous than OC.

If you get complacent in any way, you can and will end up dead.

Here's how I look at it:
Driving to the dive site is still more dangerous. I tell my student's this... A CCR resolves a dozen potential issues. Caught in a line? Lost in the cave, lost dive buddy, stuck, shark blocking your path, cave collapse, etc, etc,. But, a CCR gives you HOURS of time to fix it. CCR's solve 17 issues, and introduce three. Too much CO2, Too much O2 or too little O2. For the type of diving I do, I'll take it, every time.

Here's how I look at it:
Driving to the dive site is still more dangerous. I tell my student's this... A CCR resolves a dozen potential issues. Caught in a line? Lost in the cave, lost dive buddy, stuck, shark blocking your path, cave collapse, etc, etc,. But, a CCR gives you HOURS of time to fix it. CCR's solve 17 issues, and introduce three. Too much CO2, Too much O2 or too little O2. For the type of diving I do, I'll take it, every time.

Don't get me wrong...I dive one or the other of my units probably 95-99% of the time.

I've learned my lessons the hard way. One very recently. My next dives will still most likely be CCR, but I need to get back to my old good habits.

We paid $4500 for our KISS sidekicks about 3 years ago, but to be fair we had to add a external Shearwater Petrel ($900 at the time) and acquire some 2L O2 tanks, so the total cost was closer to $5500. We got a package deal discount on the training so that was only $1000. So $6500 total, ready to dive with C card in hand.

That's a lot less than an Optima would have cost me (about $10K with training included) about the time this thread was started.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom