Why not DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff, we had quite a little dual in here, while you were away. I think it was all said. I was always under the impression you all had to take an oath. I am not kidding. I thought you had to commit to certain principles. Like, No solo, no computers, no beer afterwards.

vows are taken in Tech 1 class: "I shall never divulge the art of DOTF to the uninitiated"... try to get some details out of an 'initiated'. Not saying this is good or bad, just that it is......

catherine96821:
Oh, good we are doing this again? I agree, but, I was wondering, do you have to promise certain things in order to "be DIR'? When you get your cert, do you take a vow? And also I was wondering what the written exam is like?

There's no written test as of yet to the best of my knowledge for DIR-F, but they are working on it. And yes, I did have to sign a piece of paper promising some things, but I don't have a copy handy and don't really remember what they were anymore.

catherine96821:
Jeff, we had quite a little dual in here, while you were away. I think it was all said. I was always under the impression you all had to take an oath. I am not kidding. I thought you had to commit to certain principles. Like, No solo, no computers, no beer afterwards.
Same old...same old. I could go away for 2 yrs and it would be the same old thing. There is an amazing amount of misinformation out there. I find that very amusing.

Really? see now those other guys were making fun of me....because they don't want to admit it. But I know i heard some discussion about it once. And is that true about the uninitiated? But they have all those videos out there with the skills.

Catherine, dear, you're sounding positively trollish

eyebrow

*Floater*:
There's no written test as of yet to the best of my knowledge for DIR-F, but they are working on it. And yes, I did have to sign a piece of paper promising some things, but I don't have a copy handy and don't really remember what they were anymore.

See, Floater I just find that very interesting. You really do not remember? well, what kinds of things? Physical fitness, alcohol, no solo, no fraternizing with non-DIR, come on, smebody around here must know....

H2Andy:
Catherine, dear, you're sounding positively trollish

eyebrow

Andy, come on, its been raining for days, have a heart.

:rofl:

i'm a lawyer, though... no heart, i'm afraid

:11doh:

catherine96821:
And is that true about the uninitiated?
No...but it is an easy out. It tough to learn or teach this stuff on the internet.

But at the heart of it all its pretty simple.

From the fact that we cannot breathe water and survive, everything people (divers) do is to solve that problem.

Now...Taking a step back, there are two opposite views in which to solve this problem.

1) A self sufficient diver

or

2) Team Approach

Each has strengths and weaknesses. A diver needs to choose which are acceptable for themselves.

The other part of DIR has to do with dive procedures and gear. What they did was to take diving at its most extreme and what it would take to survive to do it...and then go backwards to an open water diver. That way each step on the way builds apon a common foundation. (Now because of history...the most extreme dive was 18,000ft back in a cave)

catherine96821:
But they have all those videos out there with the skills.
Skills are just that...skills. They are not special or unique to DIR. The skills do have roots in cave diving, which is one of the most demanding dive situations that exist. (I could maybe argue wreck diving is more demanding…but at that point we would be quibbling about details and the truth be told the skills cross over pretty good.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom