Why not DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy,You are right though, you definetly are not allowed to banter in DIR, so I will mosey on back to photography since mum is apparently the word.

Jeff, well, I just like to know about committments UP FRONT so it seems like the question about what terms you are accepting is relevant, but people always dance around it, thats what makes some people curious and a little worried.

catherine96821:
See, Floater I just find that very interesting. You really do not remember? well, what kinds of things? Physical fitness, alcohol, no solo, no fraternizing with non-DIR, come on, smebody around here must know....

Something like that except non-DIR fraternizing. The only things I found potentially restrictive were promises not to dive beyond my cert level (can I dive drysuit without drysuit cert?) ... I don't remember the others because they weren't anything I thought I might have to worry about. I think one clause was about not doing illegal drugs. Drinking after diving is okay, at least that's what I believe - I don't think the instructor had a problem with that one. Oh, and your cert will expire if you don't dive enough.

catherine96821:
but people always dance around it
Thats because they don't understand it themselves...and so they dance. and while they are dancing they spread more misinformation. (and whats really funny...is that they think they are doing a service for DIR LOL)

*Floater*:
Something like that except non-DIR fraternizing. The only things I found potentially restrictive were promises not to dive beyond my cert level (can I dive drysuit without drysuit cert?) ... I don't remember the others because they weren't anything I thought I might have to worry about. I think one clause was about not doing illegal drugs. Drinking after diving is okay, at least that's what I believe - I don't think the instructor had a problem with that one. Oh, and your cert will expire if you don't dive enough.
You signed a piece of paper before you started your course that said a) didn't smoke, b) didn't do drugs.

After the course you can do whatever you like. Smoke...take drugs, whatever floats your boat.

Oh, thanks. See, I have heard rumblings in my own home about these topics that were never shared with me, the uninitiated. And I am Not trying to be funny. There is an element about it that is...different.

Well are you SUPPOSED to not use a computer?

JeffG:
You signed a piece of paper before you started your course that said a) didn't smoke, b) didn't do drugs.

After the course you can do whatever you like. Smoke...take drugs, whatever floats your boat.

I signed a few forms before the course, but I also sign one at the end of the course.

catherine, the course keeps changing a little bit so if you want the latest info, then just contact a potential instructor and ask about the conditions to register for a course, and also to graduate from the course. if you sign up for a GUE class at the gue website then you have to complete an extensive form that will give you some idea of the requirements. maybe you can go over it, but not submit it.

catherine96821:

Are you serious or making it up as you go, these myths are so...2002. :wink:

No, there is no "no computer" clause.

catherine96821:
There is an element about it that is...different.
The team approach does change how you look at diving. Your only as good as your weakest link. So some dives you would do with some people, but not with others. Some people take this concept to bizarre extremes

catherine96821:
What do you classify as a computer? I use Suunto D3. It doesn't do NDL calcs. I do them myself. Not every diver is ready for that, but understanding rudimental deco is a good thing IMO.

Do I recommend that for everyone? No. If you use your computer to do NDL calcs..."Do you get thrown out of the club"??? Truthfully...would anyone really care.

I guess its not available on-line. Okay, thanks. Well, I will definetly have respect if they add a rigorous math test because some agency exams get circulated a little too much. Free DM for LDS=test .

*Floater*:
I signed a few forms before the course, but I also sign one at the end of the course.
Since you don't remember what you signed, you better not use that drysuit then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom