Why Not the North Hotel Zone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove with Pepe Scuba the year before last while we stayed at the Coral Princess. They were great.

Dear Lindenbruce,

Yes, I was talking about locations north of the Villa Aldora and puerto Abrigo which are all in the "north hotel zone". For years guests at Coral Princess and nearby condos have just made the short walk to the Villa Aldora to load our dive boats, and sometimes others staying further north have used taxis (less expensive than into town). But a few years back the city installed a very nice and SAFE bicycle lane all the way from Puerto Abrigo to the far north end. My thought was that if the hotels could provide bicycles to their guests they could easily make it to town in 15 minutes or less, or use the bikes to ride the road to Passion Island or just cruise. You know it is beautiful up there.

In talking to several of the hotels, all I have been able to accomplish is to get an agreement in principle to provide bike racks for secure storage-- but they don't seem willing to buy bikes. Coral Princess has bike racks, see below. I am considering bikes for our dive customers who can load at the Villa. Since we care for their gear, there is no need to carry stuff back and forth.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

Coral Princess.jpg

It would be great to have bikes (and locks) at Villa Aldora for your customers to use while they are staying there. Several years back, my son and I stayed at Hotel Cozumel and they had bike use included. We used them nearly every day to ride into town or around the island. The bikes would be a big plus

For years guests at Coral Princess and nearby condos have just made the short walk to the Villa Aldora to load our dive boats, ...

When did you start allowing that? During the years that I was staying at the Coral Princess and diving with Aldora, I specifically asked if I could do that, and I was told that boarding at the villa Aldora was only allowed for people staying there.

My first years visiting Cozumel with my dive shop we stayed in the southern AI's and did boat diving. In January I went with a friend. We stayed in town and shore dived. I'm now a shore-diving townie convert. I've been back 3 times since and it fits my needs. Staying in town is convenient--good restaurants, shops and lots of OXXO stores; and shore diving gives me long bottom times on my own schedule and at my own pace with plenty of time to poke around and take pictures if I want.

My trip last week I spent half my dives picking up trash. There wasn't much trash at all, but a little here and there really adds up. I threw away about 6 tote mesh bags full of glass and plastic bottles (emptied of sea life, of course), and fishing line (saving the lead and tackle for fishermen friends on the island). The trash had mostly collected in the depressions in the sea floor so it was localized. On my last dive, I had half a tote bag full and couldn't find any more trash to pick up. Mission accomplished.

Still do the occasional boat dive, like Palancar caves :)

I forgot to add, I need to venture north and see what it has to offer.

If you travel to Coz often, just bring down a bike. The airline charged $75. Bikes can be bought at garage sales for $25. Leave bike with a local friend, leave it at one of the downtown parking lots,( 3 pesos per day), give it to charity, sell it on the street, or store it at Cozumel Scuba Repair. Repeat as necessary

Where did you go to shore dive?

We stayed in town and shore dived. I'm now a shore-diving townie convert. I've been back 3 times since and it fits my needs. Staying in town is convenient--good restaurants, shops and lots of OXXO stores; and shore diving gives me long bottom times on my own schedule and at my own pace with plenty of time to poke around and take pictures if I want.

Dear John,

Of course over the years I have had several on site managers but I don't ever recall a policy of mine that forbade others staying nearby from boarding our dive boats at the Villa. Indeed, since it is a short walk from the Coral Princess and Condos Puesta Del Sol we frequently have divers board at the Villa Aldora, and some bring rental cars from way up north.

WE did have bikes there for guests of the Villa to use, but not for those staying in other places.

I have now decided that I will be buying new bikes and make them available to any of our divers staying north of the Villa, with strong combo locks, and free of charge. I have not exactly figured out how to manage that but will do so shortly.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

Back
Top Bottom