Why, oh, why don't they teach better ear equalization?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding the instant gratification comments, I don't really think that's the issue here. My OW courses with NAUI were pretty in-depth and not rushed at all. Believe me, we took our sweet time. I think the more likely explanation of why the instructors didn't teach it is that they didn't know it. Because it really took me a grand total of five minutes to get the Frenzel maneuver down. Plus, when I asked them about ear clearing problems, it wouldn't have taken any time to point me to doing a google search on it and learning it myself.

As it was, I didn't get instant gratification until I watched Dr. Kay's video! :D

Because it takes time. It doesn't fit into the instant gratification game plan.

This does make sense to me. From thespoons original posting, he/she was taught one method of clearing your ears. I see no reason instructors cannot teach different methods of clearing your ears.

Additionally, it never hurts to tell students things an experienced diver might take for granted.

For example, it should never hurt to clear your ears. If you have to REALLY blow then there is something wrong. You can try going shallow and try again. Keep going shallow until clearing your ears is effortless. Remember that the pressure change in the first few feet is the greatest so you need to clear your ears more often at first.

I'd point out that you either clear your ears more frequently at first or take your time getting through the first 15 feet. Remember, it is not a race. This is RECREATIONAL scuba diving; we are here to have fun.

I'd also add that my first dive was unsuccessful. I got down to 5 feet and could not clear my ears. I came up and my instructor talked to me about it. We called it a day and I tried again the next day. It is better to end the dive and regroup than to go deaf.

Regarding the instant gratification comments, I don't really think that's the issue here. My OW courses with NAUI were pretty in-depth and not rushed at all. Believe me, we took our sweet time. I think the more likely explanation of why the instructors didn't teach it is that they didn't know it. Because it really took me a grand total of five minutes to get the Frenzel maneuver down. Plus, when I asked them about ear clearing problems, it wouldn't have taken any time to point me to doing a google search on it and learning it myself.

As it was, I didn't get instant gratification until I watched Dr. Kay's video! :D

You may be right, but it is all too often that classes are way too short, in my opinion.

The middle ear contains an air space, which is subject to squeeze on descent. To prevent a squeeze, which can cause barotaruma (pressure injury); it is necessary to equalize the pressure in the middle ear. The Eustachian tube connects the middle ear to the throat and makes equalization possible. The Eustachian tube is normally closed and must be opened to allow air to flow into and out of the middle ear. The Eustachian tube varies greatly among individuals. Factors that affect your ability to equalize the middle ear include partial obstructions, width, angle and shape of the Eustachian tube.

A number of methods exist which allow you to open your Eustachian tubes and equalize your ears. Equalizing the ears is frequently, although incorrectly, referred to as “clearing.”

The most common method of equalization is the Valsalva Maneuver. Named for Antonio Valsalva, this technique involves pinching off the nostrils and blowing gently into the nose. Never blow forcefully while attempting this method as a too forceful Valsalva Maneuver can result in the rupture of the eardrum, round window or oval window. This will usually result in immediate vertigo and hearing loss, which can be permanent.

The Frenzel Maneuver was named for developer, Herman Frenzel of the Luftwaffe in World War II. This method is preformed by closing off the vocal cords, pinching the nostrils and an effort is made to make a "guh" sound.

The Toynbee Maneuver is simply pinching of the nostrils while swallowing.

Beance Tubaire Voluntaire (BTV) or Voluntary Tubal Opening is the preferred method of equalization once mastered. It feels very much like a yawn and a difference in tonal quality of sounds will be noticed when successful. The muscles of the upper throat are used to pull open the Eustachian tube.
You should employ equalization techniques immediately upon descent and continue them regularly on descent. If any pain is experienced, you should ascend until all pain disappears and begin again.

Often divers find it useful to chew gum or eat foods such as apples or carrots prior to diving. You should not attempt to chew gum or eat while diving. Another equalization technique divers find helpful is to gently massage the area under the ear, just behind the jaw. This gentle massage is most effective when used in conjunction with one of the other equalization techniques mentioned above.

If you are unable to equalize ear pressure, it is possible to rupture the eardrum, round window or oval window. This will usually result in immediate vertigo and hearing loss, which can be permanent. If you are unable to equalize, you should abort the dive.

Do you have ongoing issues with sinus infections? If so, you might want to talk with your ENT about the sinus surgery. Essentially they go through your nose and clean out all the boogers (YUCK) from the various sinus cavities. (found out I am missing a sinus cavity). It is not a fun surgery but it made a HUGE difference for me. Pre-surgery I was on antibiotics and sinus meds full-time. Since the surgery (4 years ago) I've had only 2 infections - both in the last 12 months. I still take nasonex daily but otherwise nothing else. Doc told me the results of the surgery should 'last' about 4-5 years. So far so good.

I believe many instructors don't teach the skill for two reasons, 1) because it takes time and 2) because they themselves do not understand it. Walter understands it and teaches it. I can vouch for that.

I think he was referring to the re-formulated Sudafed that doesn't contain pseudoephedrine. This is true of both the generic and non-generic Sudafed (though you can still get the original pseudoephedrine version with the ID hassle if your state requires it). My Sudafed has phenylephrine instead. I just used up the box yesterday, so I'm considering replacing it with the original Sudafed. Only problem is that pseudoephedrine tends to give me a bit of a fuzzy brain.

Yes, thats what I meant, generic vs. name brand isnt a hige deal, but my anecdotal experience (and yes the plural of anecdote is not "data" ) makes me believe that the name brands are generally better formulated, better excipients and binders, etc..
That being said, pesudoephedrine is a miracle, while phenelpehrine is complete garbage.
A few rednecks and hilbilly NASCAR fans make meth, so the rest of the country has to suffer, good planning DEA! it just fills my libertarian heart with hot rage. Great, now I'm starting the day angry again

Pseudoephedrine is Pseudoephedrine, altho Andy had the spelling wrong. Some are sold in 30 mg pills, some 60 mg, some with an antihistamine. I've taken it daily for years, but some have problems with it as it is chemically similar to speed. Do read up on it and if you take it, try it on a non-diving, non-driving day of little challenges first. My bud can't dive without it and I won't but know what you're taking.

This 45 minute video has helped many with equalizing: Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page

The most popular ear treatment to prevent "Swimmers Ear" Infection is 1/3 alcohol, 1/3 vinegar, 1/3 bottled water. I use 1/2 - 50% alcohol and 50% vinegar - close enough. You actually cannot find this in commercial brands as the vinegar seems to break down after a month, but it's virtually free to make yourself.

Pseudoephedrine is Pseudoephedrine, altho Andy had the spelling wrong. Some are sold in 30 mg pills, some 60 mg, some with an antihistamine. I've taken it daily for years, but some have problems with it as it is chemically similar to speed. Do read up on it and if you take it, try it on a non-diving, non-driving day of little challenges first. My bud can't dive without it and I won't but know what you're taking.

This 45 minute video has helped many with equalizing: Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page

The most popular ear treatment to prevent "Swimmers Ear" Infection is 1/3 alcohol, 1/3 vinegar, 1/3 bottled water. I use 1/2 - 50% alcohol and 50% vinegar - close enough. You actually cannot find this in commercial brands as the vinegar seems to break down after a month, but it's virtually free to make yourself.

yes, Don, thanks for correcting my typo!
A

yes, Don, thanks for correcting my typo!
A
I didn't mean to be rude about it, altho I am gruff I know. It helps to have correct spelling for searching info. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom