Why, oh, why don't they teach better ear equalization?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also works great to counter the side effects of Dramimime(ie drowsiness)---a no brainer ie Dramimime and a Sudafed, great little preventative diving cocktail.....

One of my friends gets airsick on little planes, so we gave him some dramamine, it's funny watching a stoned-out-of-his-mind firefighter wandering through an airport.

That being said, I did my AOW last weekend at Dutch Springs, and Claritin-D 24 hour worked gangbusters for me. Time-release pseudoephedrine and the claritin drug too, i was clear as a bell.

One of my friends gets airsick on little planes, so we gave him some dramamine, it's funny watching a stoned-out-of-his-mind firefighter wandering through an airport.

That being said, I did my AOW last weekend at Dutch Springs, and Claritin-D 24 hour worked gangbusters for me. Time-release pseudoephedrine and the claritin drug too, i was clear as a bell.
Another reason to test taking the OTC/BTC drugs on a lazy day - not waiting until you're going to fly or dive, but I forgot about that one. Motion sickness is surprising at times tho. Pseudoephedrine makes some hyper or even worse; some antihistamines make some drowsy or even drunk. There are other antihistamines with little or not problems. I never had a problem with any of those either, perhaps because I've been taking so many for 50 years, or maybe 'cause of my heavy drinking days years ago?

Eh, I think I need to pickup some more of both. I'd hate to run the open air farm rig I'm on this week without. :eek: I also carry a OTC squeeze nasal spayer of simple saline/salt water. When the meds are not enough, helps a lot.

Just a quick update - the ear did fine. It survived doing 10 dives in three days. Can't ask for much more. The sudafed cleared it up, mostly. Enough that I could tell I was equalizing fine, though I was still a little apprehensive. Don't think I had any more ear trouble than any of the other people who did a lot of dives.

I use a nasal spray called Fluticasone. Not strictly a decongestant, but reduces the affect of allergic rhinitus (which many suffer from, especially when travelling to tropical or desert countries). It works a treat.

Back
Top Bottom