Why should I bother to get rescue cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do it for selfish reasons. The person you are most likely to save using your new skills will be yourself.

Get/Stay in good shape. I remember the water scenario weekend being a high paced energy drain.

But ...like everyone else has said, it's a good course to have under your weight belt.

Another option is to volunteer to be a victim for the water scenario weekend. Very enlightening !!

'Slogger

A rescue (/stress) class puts you in situations where you must react to what’s going on around you, so your basic diving skills become more automatic. A rescue class helps you look outside yourself and focus on other divers. When asked about the best course they've taken, most divers seem to say Rescue. I’ve never heard a diver say he regretted taking it.

The best rescue is the one that never happens.

Rescue class, done well, tends to be an eye-opener for many people. It points out a lot of the subtleties that are usually missed, and by drawing your attention to the precursors of incidents and accidents, it affords you the opportunity to recognize them and break the chain of events.

Knowing how to do CPR, or how to treat a diver going into shock, or what to do in such-and-such emergency is something that can save lives when those emergencies come up. That is how your taking rescue may help others. Gathering skills to prevent bad things from happening to you (or to handle them when they do) is what will help *you*.

I took rescue with a friend with whom I often dive, and since we took rescue we both have become much more adept at calling dives. I suppose that means we haven't made as many dives as we would have had we not taken rescue and learned how to be cautious, but perhaps by learning (and being given "permission" by that learning) to know when to say when, we may have avoided a snowballing incident.

If nothing else, for the first thing you learn: "How to not be the second victim!"

Rescue cert is the best cert you can have in your arsenal of knowledge. I don't want to become a DM but the rescue cert has really boosted my diving skills to a new level. ALL divers should be mandated to take this course, it could result in a saved life one day. After you receive the cert you will feel like a whole new diver.

I cant think of any reasons that havent been listed but I would strongly recommend the rescue class. It is very good training and info and it is like insurance..hope not to need but nice to have if you do. Enjoy your class.

If it were up to me, rescue would be rerquired. Of all the classes I have had, rescue was the most useful and relevant. It was also quite a challenge and I realized maybe I didnt Know quite as much as I thought I did.

My husband and I are taking rescue (starting in 2 weeks) to be better, safer buddies to eachother.

I'm just hoping that my exercise program for the past 5 months will help me get through the class easier. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom