Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's peculiar that people usually say this when their boorish behavior is quite personal. Since I am directing this to you, you should take it rather personally.

We have a vintage forum where Floridians can answer this very question.

You need to read more. While there might not be much shore diving in the Keys (Canon Beach, anyone?) there's lots of shore diving in Florida. Blue Heron Bridge, Lauderdale by the Sea, Venice Beach, springs, lakes, rivers and many more spots I didn't mention. Check out the Florida section for even more suggestions. I'm not sure what this has to do with AI or even hoseless AI, but I hope I personally answered some of your concerns. :D
I don't take anything personal, it's only the internet.
Thanks for your response and have a great day.

Except for calling them nannies???

I don't believe size is as important as reliability. Until just recently, I believe that only Pelagic (Oceanic, Hollis, Aeris) PDCs allowed you to specify the individual unit by serial number. This makes syncing Pelagics quite easy and less problematic. I think I can ID at least four and possibly up to six transducers. As for size, they all look about the same to me.

I said I would not go on with this argument (in this thread).

Thanks for the info, I have not looked at the AI units enough to really understand the set ups, just the majority who have them also seem to have a spg. The cost is really quite reasonable now compared to a few years ago. I am satisfied that I could dive these for any recreational dive without an spg back up. I think the reliability thing has gotten a little too dramatic as you might say for a recreational dive. If the thing quits then just go up. Maybe travel regulators with built in J valves or sonic alarms will be the new thing. That way the diver could continue without any pressure value. There was communication before cell phones and computers, as well there was diving before common usage of the spg much less the deco computer.

James

Back on the AI, my primary need with a computer is the ability to adjust or choose different algorithms and I like and really need a large bar graph or graphic display that I can see clearly. Large numbers and a large display and a large graphic display. If it comes with an AI transducer I may use it or may not, I can see it's use in some of my dives so having that option is not going to cause me heartburn. I do not have to use it or even bring the transducer, as long as the computer does it's primary functions without, I would not care. I am also into low profile, low weight and would like to be able to plug it into my Mac not only to download my dives but to adjust settings or make custom settings. If I used the AI for recreational dives, say something like nearly three hours at the BHB, I would remove my spg. It could be useful to see my psi on my wrist whilst holding my camera. I wear my computer actually up on my forearm, low profile is important. The only thing on my wrist is my watch and my Benedictine bracelet, tucked under my rashguard, I need my hands and wrist uncluttered to work my camera and such as that.

N

To answer some of your points about AI choices here.

I dive an Eon Steel - and yes its another love or hate device.) It has Graphics (with numbers) and or Numbers only. Called teh Graphical and Classical displays respectively.

One of my motivating factors was the display - in some conditions my almost 50yr old eyes would struggle a little with the black on grey of a normal LCD display.

I thought I would prefer the graphic rather than the numbers, yet still find myself registering the numerical values i.e my brain sees 130bar at 30 mins rather the the just over halfway of a graphic. However the ascent graphic is more readable with its green, yellow red colourations rather than numerical values.

I'm not pushing the EOn - its just what I have experience with - my preference would be for greater screen customisation For example having 4 primary data points in larger fonts (or graphics) Say Gas, depth, NDL and one other - then secondary data points in smaller fonts. While it has some of this - I personally would like my next stop depth more clearly displayed while others might prefer gas time remaining as larger data point. I presume they will get there.

Mine couples to my Mac via provided cable which also charges it (or you can plug it in to a USB wall charger) And you can customise within the parameters allowed

With Transmitter sizes. My experience is they are all of similar size. My preference is to have mine on a Scubapro 6" hose that has a quick release coupling for the transmitter (mine has a L/H thread) and you can couple and uncouple under pressure it also has a ball valve to allow you to dive without the TX in place.

For me this provides a solution for a couple of issues.

1. My TX can be stored with my computer
2. People cant use the TX as a grab
3. If your kit gets knocked on the dive deck your TX is less likely to get damaged
4. under water the TX has flexibility of movement in wrecks or near rock overhangs etc.

It has the added value of putting the TX more over the shoulder so your head isn't in the way of the signal.

I've said before I kept my SPG attached more because I couldn't' be bothered to take it off and its more convenient to check tank contents pre kit up using the SPG rather than wearing the computer - The Eon is large so doesnt go on my wrist until I put my wetsuit on.

What I do or like isn't for everyone but thought I'd share my views towards your computer requirements

travel regulators with built in J valves or sonic alarms will be the new thing.
I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean in addition to the low gas alarms that come with AI PDCs so as to add redundancy? I started diving with a j-valve and don't ever want to go back to them. Too freaky.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean in addition to the low gas alarms that come with AI PDCs so as to add redundancy? I started diving with a j-valve and don't ever want to go back to them. Too freaky.

I was jesting, really.

But, what I meant since I must explain, I would dive an AI without a mechanical spg. Thus, requiring me to either end the dive if it failed or continue without a pressure reading. But, if my regulator had a built in J valve (some used to) or sonic alarm (some used to) and it were set for, oh, say, 600 psi, I could just continue until I hit the J reserve. Which of course is what we used to do exactly before the mechanical spg was common, except it was 300 psi reserve generally.

My first regulator that I bought, was in 1966 and it was the USD AL Calypso J. It had a built in J valve. I also had, given me, a Mistral from 58 and a Nemrod Snark (my first actual regulator). I still have the Calypso J and the Mistral and both work beautifully. The Nemrod Snark, well, it was quite the unfortunate device. Good thing most of my dives back then were hardly over fifteen or twenty feet, fun times muck diving the Great Bend area (Keaton Beech etc.).

Seriously, I need a new computer, I will not be buying one immediately but I am starting to look around, I move at glacial speeds, I am a geologist. The Petrol is attractive for my technical interests but it is large and high profile. I would not rule out an AI computer. That way I could use the AI (without a mechanical spg) for recreational dives and for more technical or advanced diving leave it in the bag.

Yes, thanks Diving Dubai, good point on the use of a small flexible hose and quick release to remote locate the AI sender. Have you thought about using one of those mini button type spgs (with spool converter) on a braided line. For those who still carry a mechanical spg for back up, that would make for a very small and light weight instrument, just back up, why carry a full size instrument?

No worries Net Doc, :wink:, I am not really advocating the re-introduction of the J valve. Padi would go into upheavals and go TU. They are already having a psychotic break with solo. Kind of like The Church, there could be an Orthodox Padi and a Western Padi with different religious beliefs, because that is what a lot of these things remind me of. The Religion of SCUBA. Religion kills people dead, so does dogmatic adherence to rules. For example, though not deadly, just stupid application, I think I will not put my fins on my elbows and flounder about on a tag line with a $5,000 plus camera in my hands. But, let's not go there, :). Please.

N

I never saw a J-Valve on a regulator. I owned a few tanks with a J-valve and that's how I first started diving in 1969 with no SPG, no Depth Gauge and no BCD. It was simple to the point of being stupidly so and I'm ever so glad things have evolved.

Seriously, I need a new computer, I will not be buying one immediately but I am starting to look around, I move at glacial speeds, I am a geologist. The Petrol is attractive for my technical interests but it is large and high profile. I would not rule out an AI computer. That way I could use the AI (without a mechanical spg) for recreational dives and for more technical or advanced diving leave it in the bag.

Sounds like H3. By the time you get there they'll have released the transmitters and firmware updates to iron out the initial glitches.

Yes, thanks Diving Dubai, good point on the use of a small flexible hose and quick release to remote locate the AI sender. Have you thought about using one of those mini button type spgs (with spool converter) on a braided line. For those who still carry a mechanical spg for back up, that would make for a very small and light weight instrument, just back up, why carry a full size instrument?

N

Nemrod

Good point about the button gauge on a small hose. I have thought about it, except when I go to my LDS I've forgotten and thus buy something other that I don't really need (or already have in a different colour)

To be perfectly honest I guess my SPG is a comfort blanket. I don't need it, rarely use it (except just before a dive looking for deflection whilst breathing my regs). It doesn't take up any room on my kit as its clipped off. But if the truth is known I'd feel naked without it. The use of it even the minimum amount I do is so ingrained into my routine. A bit like gloves. If I'm in a location that doesn't allow them it feels wrong and because putting them on is part of my routine something always feels not right for a few dives.

I have zero interest in additional cost and failure points. The regular brass and glass SPG works just fine for me.

:thumbs-up

If that works for you it sounds great. But then not everyone is going to agree with you.:rofl4:

I have zero interest in additional cost and failure points. The regular brass and glass SPG works just fine for me.

Back
Top Bottom