Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That 500 psi is the contingency gas. For example should you need to share air with an OOG buddy it is the gas available to get them to the surface. Surely that depends on depth, buddy sac etc. is this calculated on the fly by the computer or does it need to be planned?

This is known as an undecidable problem: until your buddy is OOA at a specific depth and with the specific SAC they happen to have at the time, you just don't know. Neither does your DC, your SPG, your tables, or any planning method other than crystal ball.

That's why I said upthread: the only sure way to plan for that is to carry 5 tanks: 2 spares for yourself and 2 for your buddy.

Last edited:
There are several misconceptions about how ATR works.

Dr. Lecter, my post (and some from others) explained why cylinder volume is irrelevant to the ATR and does not need to be programmed in. [snip]

No so much. Remember, I am talking about rec diving, with no hard ceiling or mandatory stop. The 500psi reserve is "your buddy's" gas because if you follow the ATR you will not be breathing it. The ATR will send you up with more than 500 psi from depth. As an example, it might send you up with 800 psi if you are at 90 feet. That means you will use 300 doing a standard ascent and safety stop, which leaves 300 for your buddy, and still 200 at the surface. It is only if the ATR would send you up at over 1000 that the concern would arise (ie if it sent you up at 1100, you would need 600 and only 500 would be there for your buddy). This has never happened to me, or even come close.

Plus, my planning for an ascent with an OOG buddy gives a lot more cushion than what the computer is assuming. I have only had to do this once (from 140' long ago) but that experience taught me that getting up while still alive is the top top priority. So, on a rec dive, where we are not in deco, I am going to push the ascent rate to 60 fpm until I hit 30' or so, and then 30 fpm to the surface, with no safety stop. This does two things. First, it rapidly increases the available gas as you get shallow quickly, and it decreases gas consumption by getting to the surface directly and without a stop. The minor increase in DCS risk is an easy trade-off for getting out of the far more lift-threatening situation.

I did some quick math. Assumptions:
- your out of gas buddy has an elevated sac rate (which I will peg at 1 cf/min @ 1ATA equivalent)
- dive is to edge of recreational ranges (40m/130ft)
- divers are using al80s
- ascent rate is 10m/33ft per minute

500psi on an al80 is insufficient reserve to get your out of gas buddy to the surface. Painfully insufficient on an al63.

On a dive to 30m/100ft, 500psi on an al80 should be sufficient to get your buddy to the surface with the other assumptions above. Just enough on an al63.

On an a HP100, 500psi is sufficient to get your out of gas buddy to the surface from 40m/130ft.

My point being that dumbing down gas planning to ATR with 500psi has its pitfals. At the very least, one should know what you can and can't get away with if this is your method of planning your gas usage. You should know that under certain circumstances, a *conservative* ascent rate of 10m/33ft per minute is going to be too slow for you to have sufficient gas.

I did an exercise in "rock bottom" calculation a while back, and found it very imprecise and based on a host of assumptions (square profile, assumed elevated SAC rates unchanging during the ascent, assumed standard ascent and assumed safety stop).

You don't have to do it that way. First, in an emergency, you don't worry about multi levels. You go to the surface with your buddy in an expedited fashion. When I am on a multi level dive, I usually keep two numbers in my head - what is my rock bottom for the deep part of the dive and then what is my rock bottom at some other depth.

For example, let's say I need 1000psi to get two divers up from 100ft (with all the assumptions above). And let's say I need 700psi to get two divers up from 70ft. I know that when I am closing in on 1000psi, I need to get me and my buddy moving shallower. And when I am closing in on 700psi, I need to be at 70ft or shallower.

The bottom line was that on AL80s at depth, such calculations might significantly cut dive time short of NDL on the actual dive itself. I decided not to plan every single dive of my life as involving an inevitable ascent for two divers at high consumption, at regular rates and through safety stops. I would have lost many precious hours underwater had I done this, and I am not going to start now.

My experience has actually been the opposite. My vacation diving in Hawaii has always ended with me being one of the last if not the last diver in the water (with the DM). I always got back on the boat with 500psi or in quite a few occasions, actually less.

If you bake in a very conservative ascent rate and a pretty long safety stop, of course your rock bottom is going to be higher. But if you bake in a more aggressive ascent rate and forego the safety stop (it being a recreational dive and all), rock bottom is going to be lower. The key to either approach is knowing what the assumptions are. If you have not planned for a 3-5 minute safety stop, don't do one.

Easy peasy.

the AI computer has actually improved my knowledge regarding my gas use in real dives and I am comfortable with the planning and even the 500 psi surface reserve setting. If, for some reason, I had to dive to 130 on an AL80, I might get more conservative by setting the surface reserve at 750.

Without knowing anything about gas planning, how do you know that 750psi is enough of a reserve for an out of gas buddy for a dive to 130ft? And even it were enough, what if your buddy comes to you at a spot where you guys are not on the anchor line? Is there going to be enough gas for one of you to deploy an SMB?

---------- Post added July 31st, 2015 at 12:03 PM ----------

This is known as an undecidable problem: until your buddy is OOA at a specific depth and with the specific SAC they happen to have at the time, you just don't know. Neither does your DC, your SPG, your tables, or any planning method other than crystal ball.

That's why I said upthread: the only sure way to plan for that is to carry 5 tanks: 2 spares for yourself and 2 for your buddy.

So what you are saying is that divers who do not have a direct ascent as an option (cave and tech divers) have no way of safely planning their dives short of bringing 5x the amount of gas that they plan to use?

That's the thing--so many assumptions can change the result depending on what assumptions you want to change. No matter how many you change, they will still not give an accurate calculation for a multi-level profile. You can implement intentionally conservative assumptions but then you might cut yourself short if the dive is easy, or you spend more time shallower, or you yo-yo somewhat during the dive. The mental effort to do this for every dive, every time, for a still uncertain result/benefit is not something I feel the need to do, as my dives are rarely the same, and almost never square profile, so this would have to be done every time. All my spare time on a liveaboard with 4 dives a day would be spent doing calculations instead of getting a massage :)

Then again, I have paid attention to what the computer has told me over my 100 or so dives with it, and compared that to my experience of all my dives (closing in on 1500), and am satisfied that the 500 psi reserve is good for anything down to 100-120 feet with an AL80. If I am going deeper I am on 100s or 120s anyway, at least at home. If I am in a spot where AL80s are the only thing (lots of places) then I crank the surface reserve to 750 for deep (120 +) dives which will be enough. Remember, the computer's reserve pressure is not "our" gas, it all belongs to my buddy, because the computer sends me up with an additional amount sufficient for me to reach the surface. So, I have dumbed it down somewhat compared to true rock bottom math, but it is not entirely uncalculated, either. I do have a fallback plan (never had to use it). Knowing my 500 psi reserve, if my ATR at depth is approaching zero at more than 1000 psi, then I will take note and ascend, because this means I personally need more than 500 to reach the surface and so my buddy might be short.

If you want to do gas pre-planning, then you use the AI differently by turning off the ATR, and simply designating a turn pressure alert for when you reach your pre-calculated rock bottom.

As for allowing for doing things at depth, that's not going to happen. If my buddy is truly OOG and rushes to me with eyes as big as saucers and the reg out of his mouth, reaching for mine (yes, that's how it happens), we beat feet to the surface the second he has my reg, no dallying on the bottom searching for anchor lines or deploying smbs or anything else. I can blow the smb at the surface. Seriously, everything is secondary to reaching the surface.

So what you are saying is that divers who do not have a direct ascent as an option (cave and tech divers) have no way of safely planning their dives short of bringing 5x the amount of gas that they plan to use?
If you can show me any post in any thread where I mentioned anything other than recreational open water diving, I'll answer that.

If you can show me any post in any thread where I mentioned anything other than recreational open water diving, I'll answer that.

Let me ask the question the other way...
Divers who have no way to directly ascend to the surface can plan such dives so they can get themselves and an out of gas buddy to the surface (negotiating overheads and doing the required deco) without having to bring 5x the gas they plan to use.

Why does a recreational diver need 5x the gas they plan to use to be sure they have enough gas to get himself and their out of gas buddy to the surface?

In short, how did you come up with this 5x business?

500psi on an al80 is insufficient reserve to get your out of gas buddy to the surface. Painfully insufficient on an al63.

How is that relevant?

If you are flying the ATR that your computer is showing you, you will never be at depth with 500 psi in your tank. Caveat*: That is at least true with the computer I am using. When my computer says 0 ATR, that means that if I leave the bottom now and do a normal ascent, I will arrive at the surface with 500 psi. Hitting 0 on ATR does not mean that I am NOW at 500 psi - unless I'm already on the surface or practically so.

If I am still at depth when my computer says 0 ATR and that is the precise moment my buddy rushes up, OOA, that means my tank has enough air for me to get to the surface PLUS 500 psi for my buddy to use as we ascend.

Feel like re-doing the math? I have not done it, but if I'm at 130', a normal (conservative) ascent would mean 4 minutes, 20 seconds (roughly). I think my buddy would have to be really breathing hard to use 500 psi from an AL80 in that amount of time, with an average depth of 65 feet, wouldn't he? I mean breathing HARD?

* I think it MAY be the case that some other computers do their ATR calculation such that hitting 0 at depth DOES mean that you are now at 500 psi (or whatever reserve you set it for). It would certainly be wise for an AI computer user to read the manual (or pay close attention) and KNOW exactly what their computer is telling them when it says their ATR is X.

---------- Post added July 31st, 2015 at 04:18 PM ----------

I did the math. If I did it correctly, using 500 psi from an AL80, while making a 30ft/min ascent from 130' directly to the surface would require an RMV of just barely under 1 cu ft/min.

So, it's certainly possible that a buddy could use all that. But, if he did, he would at least be dang close to the surface by the time it ran out.

---------- Post added July 31st, 2015 at 04:20 PM ----------

Personally, I will fly my ATR. But, I would be EXTREMELY unlikely to fly it down to 0 when I'm at 130'!

---------- Post added July 31st, 2015 at 04:26 PM ----------

I just checked my Atom's manual to make sure. When the ATR says 0, it means I have enough air to get to the surface INCLUDING whatever deco stops I have (if I effed up and blew my NDL), the optional Deep Stop that I could set it for, and whatever Safety Stop I have it set for - and hit the surface with 500psi (or whatever reserve I set it for).

I'm thinking flying the ATR on my computer is pretty likely to give me enough gas to get me and my OOA buddy to the surface, even if he rushes up at 130', just as my ATR hits 0, and I'm on an AL80.

Also, since it was mentioned earlier, the manual for my computer says it samples tank pressure once per second and uses the 90 second history (of pressure and depth) to calculate ATR.

---------- Post added July 31st, 2015 at 04:31 PM ----------

It's also pretty handy that I don't have to pay attention to the NDL and ATR separately. The computer tracks NDL, ATR, and OTR (O2 Time Remaining, for when diving Nitrox), and displays whichever number is lower as the DTR (the Dive Time Remaining), which is the big number on the main display.

So, if I really just don't want to pay attention, all I have to do is watch the big number on the main display and leave the bottom when or before it hits 0.

I'm not advocating this. But it does seem like it would make a dive safer for someone who doesn't (for whatever reason) do a good job of keeping up with all those separate pieces of data while they are on the bottom. I have caught myself, on occasion. checking my SPG but forgetting to check my NDL, or vice versa.

Then again, I have paid attention to what the computer has told me over my 100 or so dives with it, and compared that to my experience of all my dives (closing in on 1500), and am satisfied that the 500 psi reserve is good for anything down to 100-120 feet with an AL80.

Good under certain condition, right? I mean, is it going to be enough if you have to deploy an SMB? What if you think that a slower ascent rate would be better (after several days of diving)?

If I am in a spot where AL80s are the only thing (lots of places) then I crank the surface reserve to 750 for deep (120 +) dives which will be enough. Remember, the computer's reserve pressure is not "our" gas, it all belongs to my buddy, because the computer sends me up with an additional amount sufficient for me to reach the surface. So, I have dumbed it down somewhat compared to true rock bottom math, but it is not entirely uncalculated, either. I do have a fallback plan (never had to use it). Knowing my 500 psi reserve, if my ATR at depth is approaching zero at more than 1000 psi, then I will take note and ascend, because this means I personally need more than 500 to reach the surface and so my buddy might be short.

This is the part that I struggle with. In some cases, you are doing math anyway. If my ATR is going to go to zero with more than 1000psi, so on and so forth… You are deducing relationships there between the ATR value, the existing tank pressure and what you would need to get you and your buddy to the surface. So like I said, you are doing math anyway, just not in a way that a lot of people might understand. Whereas rock bottom calculations are very easy to understand. No need to tie into something as seemingly obscure as ATR.

And as far as setting your reserves to 750psi for deeper dives, yes, that is more than 500psi. But is it more enough? How do you know without doing some math?

As for allowing for doing things at depth, that's not going to happen. If my buddy is truly OOG and rushes to me with eyes as big as saucers and the reg out of his mouth, reaching for mine (yes, that's how it happens), we beat feet to the surface the second he has my reg, no dallying on the bottom searching for anchor lines or deploying smbs or anything else. I can blow the smb at the surface. Seriously, everything is secondary to reaching the surface.

Its should not happen for you because of the way you plan your dives. You don’t set aside enough resources to do it.

We do recreational dives at home all the time where your ascent could take around boat traffic. Shore dives and boat dives. We do dives where if you don’t ascend at the anchor line, current will take you pretty far away from the boat. So yes, getting to where there is more gas is the most important thing. But it is not the only thing.

Incidentally, I reject the notion that you have to take pencil to paper before every dive. In reality, if you are diving the same tanks over and over again, you wind up doing the math once for several depths.
And after about a dozen dives, you remember what your rock bottom is when you are at 100ft and what it is for 90ft and 80ft and 60ft and so on.

---------- Post added July 31st, 2015 at 02:04 PM ----------

If you are flying the ATR that your computer is showing you, you will never be at depth with 500 psi in your tank. Caveat*: That is at least true with the computer I am using. When my computer says 0 ATR, that means that if I leave the bottom now and do a normal ascent, I will arrive at the surface with 500 psi. Hitting 0 on ATR does not mean that I am NOW at 500 psi - unless I'm already on the surface or practically so.

Yeah, I understood that. 500psi is the reserve. ATR is the amount of time you have left before you have to begin your ascent.

Feel like re-doing the math? I have not done it, but if I'm at 130', a normal (conservative) ascent would mean 4 minutes, 20 seconds (roughly). I think my buddy would have to be really breathing hard to use 500 psi from an AL80 in that amount of time, with an average depth of 65 feet, wouldn't he? I mean breathing HARD?

No, its scuba math.

I had 4 minutes of travel time.

But, I did not make the assumption that as soon as the buddy comes to me for gas, I start the ascent right away. We usually give ourselves some time to get oriented when something like an out of gas event happens. Your buddy comes to you, you donate, you put your backup reg in your mouth. When everyone is breathing again, you get your wits about you. WTF just happened? What is the right next step? Sometimes, it is to put away equipment like your camera. Either that or you just ditch your multi thousand photo/video rig to save your buddy’s life. I give myself 1 minute at depth to get situated and to begin the ascent.

So now, it will take 5 minutes to get to the surface from 130ft.

You can use 3ATA as the average depth if you like.

Your buddy will need 5 minutes x 3ATA worth of gas. And you still have to multiply that by their consumption rate. Average diver who is stressed out.. 1 cf per min sounds good to me.

15cf based on this scenario for your out of gas buddy. Assuming you are going straight to the surface and are not going to do anything else (swim to the anchor line, deploy an SMB or anything else).

500psi in an al80 is about 12.5cf-13cf.

Again, this assumes an al80. The last time I was in Hawaii, the DM asked me to dive an al63. Your 500psi is definitely not enough reserve for an OOG diver in that tank. Although to be fair, no sane person would bring an al63 to a dive that deep. The only point is that a fixed number like 500psi is enough only if you know what assumptions were made.

It's also pretty handy that I don't have to pay attention to the NDL and ATR separately. The computer tracks NDL, ATR, and OTR (O2 Time Remaining, for when diving Nitrox), and displays whichever number is lower as the DTR (the Dive Time Remaining), which is the big number on the main display.

So, if I really just don't want to pay attention, all I have to do is watch the big number on the main display and leave the bottom when or before it hits 0.

I'm not advocating this. But it does seem like it would make a dive safer for someone who doesn't (for whatever reason) do a good job of keeping up with all those separate pieces of data while they are on the bottom. I have caught myself, on occasion. checking my SPG but forgetting to check my NDL, or vice versa.

Man, I don’t know how I ever got by without all that information.

Does that big number tell you when to turn around to head back to the anchor line? Does that big number know when you are swimming up current or down current?

Out of curiosity, what would your plan be if your computer craps out while you are on a live aboard and they don't have any air integrated computers to rent you?

Last edited:
Man, I don’t know how I ever got by without all that information.

Does that big number tell you when to turn around to head back to the anchor line? Does that big number know when you are swimming up current or down current?

Out of curiosity, what's your plan if your computer craps out while you are on a live aboard and they don't have any air integrated computers to rent you?

I did mention earlier about just taking the ATR number as a guesstimate and paying attention to one's circumstances - e.g. realizing that if your dive is going to start with a drift and end with a swim, you actually have a lot less ATR than the computer says. And also about not flying it down to 0 while also pushing other limits, like depth.

Personally, if I end up using my non-AI backup computer, my (very limited) experience thus far makes me pretty comfortable with the idea of getting in and using my gut to know what pressure I should be using as my Time To Get Out pressure. Of course, basing it on my expected max depth, if there's current, etc.. I track my RMV and can tell you what it was on every dive I've done so far, starting with dive #2 in my log. It ranges from around .55 when doing nothing much to .7 when working to about 1 when I'm working REALLY hard. If I were diving without AI - because I'm a math nerd - I might quickly crunch some numbers in my head just to sanity check my plan for my Time To Get Out pressure. OTOH, I might not, since I tend to be conservative and make sure I'm somewhere close to the anchor line well before it's time for me to go up. And/or make sure I swim against the current at the beginning. And/or go with the current for a short time, then turn around and test my ability to swim against it, to see how hard it is, before I let myself get any further from the anchor line. Etc., etc..

Like I said, the ATR is a nice guesstimate to have. It's not a substitute for using your head to evaluate conditions - and even doing some math when conditions and experience tell you that you need to. That may sound like bold talk for a newbie like myself. But, understand that it's coming from the viewpoint that, depth notwithstanding, I am diving very conservatively (I think) and testing my limits (e.g. how far I get from the anchor line, how much I trust my ability to navigate back to it, whether I penetrate into the light zone of a ship, etc.) very cautiously. So "using my head and evaluating based on experience" is being down with what I think are very conservative parameters (other than going to depths that some may feel are not conservative for my level of experience). I recognize my inexperience and I am often choosing not to do things that I KNOW more experienced divers would do without hesitation.

This is the same approach that allowed me to roadrace motorcycles from 1990 - 2007, win some regional championships, and only ever crash out of one race in all that time (not counting times that someone else took me out). Slowly and methodically find the limits and/or errors in judgment and calculations. Find an error in judgment on how much air when I turn by getting out with 400 psi, instead of 500, and recognizing that I was off by that much, so take that into account next time (along with the other factors related to that dive).

Anyway... this thread is supposed to be about why people dislike AI. Maybe we should get back to the point. I agree with earlier posts that I (newbie that I am) think it's a good thing and could potentially really help divers - especially ones who have not yet developed the skills or experience to do really good gas management on their own. I view mine as a nice safety net to call me out when I "guess" badly wrong (though it hasn't happened so far).

The trouble with poor planning is that it usually goes unpunished so typically the diver doesn't know the risk they ran. Mostly dives go well, so divers can do thousands of dives and get away without adequate reserves.

It is not hard to make a few reasonable assumptions about an ascent in an OOG situation and figure out how much gas that is. The profile (for a NDL dive) prior to the ascent does not matter. What matters is how deep you might be when the OOG occurs, how much gas is available then and how fast it is being used.

I think those suggesting a blanket 500 or 750 psi for the buddy ascent might try doing OOG ascents from some depth and see how they get on. I'd put money on the first try not being more than 5m/min and the gas use higher than expected.

I use an AI computer but it does not have this air time remaining feature but I can do mental arithmetic so that is ok. I can see that ATR might be attractive but also that it does not eliminate the need to plan although it sounds like the users might not bother.

I know that many people find dive planning a bit scary and hard at first, but even the least numerate can manage it if given enough help.

How does a diver run OOG?
How many times have you run out of fuel in your car?
What step do you take to make sure neither happens?
What is all this talk of Running OOG?
Does this really happen in real life or just on scubaboard?
Is this just an abstract?
I can't Believe any competent properly trained diver wouldn't pay attention to gas supply.
Are you telling me that everyone on SB isn't a properly trained diver?
Please explain.

Back
Top Bottom