Why the SPG on the left lower hip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLTEKDIVER:
My thing is, I may slide the D-ring up just a few inchs , rather then all the way back by the BP.
I don't understand "up". Left hip D-ring can be moved forward and back.

FLTEKDIVER:
...and getting onto a accent line at 100' to start your acccent with 800 psi, you have to be alot more carefull of gas managment, and clipping it off under my left shoulder d-ring was, not to watch it all the time, but it's nice to be able to glance down, with unclipping and re-clipping, etc at those last 5 min of bottom time, to be able to glance down, and it's right there, easy to read, etc.
That's why we monitor consumption per 5 min segment of dive at given depth and start to ascend according to rock bottom rule. Easy tool to avoid constant gauge monitoring.

MonkSeal:
I don't understand "up". Left hip D-ring can be moved forward and back.

That's why we monitor consumption per 5 min segment of dive at given depth and start to ascend according to rock bottom rule. Easy tool to avoid constant gauge monitoring.

Up meaning sliding the D-ring up on the 2" webbing

I dis-agree about the 5 min segment , that is true, but not when your at 100'+ feet and only have 20 min or so of bottom time, Towards the end of the dive, I moniter it
every few min, As I know my air consumption and rate at depth, and when your hitting a accent line at 100" feet or so, at 700- psi, or 800 psi, every minute counts

FLTEKDIVER:
I dis-agree about the 5 min segment , that is true, but not when your at 100'+ feet and only have 20 min or so of bottom time, Towards the end of the dive, I moniter it
every few min, As I know my air consumption and rate at depth, and when your hitting a accent line at 100" feet or so, at 700- psi, or 800 psi, every minute counts
That's called poor gas management and it's far away from DIR.

FLTEKDIVER:
Up meaning sliding the D-ring up on the 2" webbing

If your hitting the up line at 800 psi and 100 feet your well below rock bottom and that is not a DIR fundimental.

Edit: Unless of course you happen to be wearing a set of HP100 doubles.

MonkSeal:
That's called poor gas management and it's far away from DIR.

Ahhhhh, how fast we are to judge

Typical Thread comment, from a arm chair quarterback

Now I have poor gas management

I don't what is DIR's theory on it, but I can say, at 800 psi , it takes me no less then 300 psi to have a stop of 3 min, and follow the line up, and still come out with 500 psi

I carry a 19 Cf pony and never had to use it till today

I been hitting the line for years at 800 psi

I can even go foot by foor and psi by psi on my computer download , by the min to show that it's NOT poor gas managment, it's where I choose to hit the line, and when knowing my air consumption.

Do I do it all the time , NO, if the currents are stonger, I hit the line at times at 1200 PSI because of currnets and maxing my bottom time

I love comments like that, and your DIR?

And your buddy figures into this gas management where?

FLTEKDIVER:
Ahhhhh, how fast we are to judge

Typical Thread comment, from a arm chair quarterback

Now I have poor gas management

I don't what is DIR's theory on it, but I can say, at 800 psi , it takes me no less then 300 psi to have a stop of 3 min, and follow the line up, and still come out with 500 psi

I carry a 19 Cf pony and never had to use it till today

I been hitting the line for years at 800 psi

I can even go foot by foor and psi by psi on my computer download , by the min to show that it's NOT poor gas managment, it's where I choose to hit the line, and when knowing my air consumption.

Do I do it all the time , NO, if the currents are stonger, I hit the line at times at 1200 PSI because of currnets and maxing my bottom time

I love comments like that, and your DIR?

Dan Gibson:
And your buddy figures into this gas management where?

I guess you missed the part with the pony, and also at 800 psi that is even enough to buddy breath if needed.

The thread was started for the SPG placement, if you want to start a thread on Air Consumption the DIR way, please do, but please keep the topic on what the thread was started about.

Hmmm, I guess someone didn't look to see what forum they were in.

FLTEKDIVER:
I guess you missed the part with the pony, and also at 800 psi that is even enough to buddy breath if needed.

The thread was started for the SPG placement, if you want to start a thread on Air Consumption the DIR way, please do, but please keep the topic on what the thread was started about.

onfloat:
FWIW the left d-ring is not butted up next to the back plate. It's about 3 or 4 inches forward of that, so it is centered on the left hip. About where the seam or belt loop of a pair of levi's would be on your hip.

On-Float, Thanks for the info, As that is exactley what I was talking about sliding it up a few inches, I think this will help

I'm going to take a DIR- Funddy's , so I can better understand the DIR method

I been doing alot of reading on-line, but still have some questions
and like to know more about the DIR theory

Your welcome.

I think you will enjoy the class. A little advice, though...Listen without defending. Meaning that just because DIR says this is way way we do it and you have been doing it different for years, IS NOT AN ATTACK on you.

MonkSeal mentioned poor gas management, because you mentioned the need to be checking your spg more often. If you check your spg every 5 min and after a bit of practice you should learn what your consumption rate is for a given depth. Pretty soon checking your spg is just a conformation of what you already know, becoming less of a necessity. You mention a pony bottle for your buddy, not a DIR concept; instead you plan your depth and figure the rock bottom, meaning enough gas to get from max depth to the surface including all planned stops for TWO divers. Roughly 40cft on a recreational dive at 100ft.

You will find that DIR is a system and once you start messing with something and why you are doing it, it starts a cascade that affects the rest of the system. Some divers defend the way they are doing things, because of X or Y when X or Y is not part of the DIR system and makes the point moot when talking with in the DIR system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom