Why we dive with a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also I recommend a back mounted pony cylinder as it is out of the way. Yes I sling too, but have been smacked in the face during a giant stride, have had the bottle hit my mask while doing underwater flips, and have to reach around it for the SPG.

I am trying to imagine how this happens...Do you have it clipped off on both ends? I can giant stride and hover upside down, do flips, etc with a slung 80 and it never moves, it would be impossible to hit me in the face. That is with a standard harness, not rigged for SM.

My slung 40 hits my mask when I practice my drysuit "tuck-n-rolls" - likely because my chin is on my chest and I'm bringing my knees up toward my chin?
Hovering inverted is not an issue. The giant stride was an issue when I was looking down (again - chin on chest...) off of a high dock.

...if you have an OOA situation with a buddy, let's count the steps.... Locate buddy ..... Establish shared breathing of some sort. ....... While you are praying, pray that he has a standard octo rig rather than a octo/BC inflator combo...... Again, this is another time to pray your donor diver uses a standard octopus,

Most people take the time to create a plan and understand their buddies gear before a dive. Often that plan includes a full discussion of emergency gear and staying close in the event of mishaps.

If you chose to skip this step (and it seems you do often) I would suggest you warn your partner beforehand you plan on abandoning them the second you have a problem.

Just a tip.

I just have to ask, Dr Wu, what is the story of that naked guy on the motorcycle? :) ???

Most people take the time to create a plan and understand their buddies gear before a dive. Often that plan includes a full discussion of emergency gear and staying close in the event of mishaps.

If you chose to skip this step (and it seems you do often) I would suggest you warn your partner beforehand you plan on abandoning them the second you have a problem.

Just a tip.

I see you enjoy trolling when you aren't diving. And I suspect you aren't diving most of the time, if at all.

Good day sir.

I want to see a pony explode!

I see you enjoy trolling when you aren't diving. And I suspect you aren't diving most of the time, if at all.

Good day sir.

You have no reason to suspect that. None at all.

What you have provided is a typical scenario for pony use as a replacement for proper buddy skills.

That's fine if you choose to dive that way.

I was just asking you to be frank with your dive buddy beforehand and explain you will abandon them for the pony when things go south.

It's common courtesy after all.

Good day sir.

Wu dives so much he can't keep track of all his dives.

Do a search like:

site:scubaboard.com dr wu​

or

site:scubaboard.com pony​

(you will get a 1:1 correspondence). In thread after thread Wu is lambasted for being critical while contributing nothing of value, but he keeps coming back for more. As for what motivates him, I can only speculate...

Wu dives so much he can't keep track of all his dives.

Do a search like:

site:scubaboard.com dr wu​

or

site:scubaboard.com pony​

(you will get a 1:1 correspondence). In thread after thread Wu is lambasted for being critical while contributing nothing of value, but he keeps coming back for more. As for what motivates him, I can only speculate...

The Internets are chocked full of Wu's :) On other forums, where the subject matter isn't really important, I'd dismantle him. Here, I'll just ignore him and talk with the grown ups.

He'll do his best now to get a reaction. Watch.

Back
Top Bottom