Why would charters block people from using any GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Justin Phillips

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just saw an add for a dive charter in Florida and in it, it said that all GPS devices of any kind, including phones were banned from the boat and if they were found the captain legally could confiscate them from you. Why would any dive charter go to that length to keep people from tagging their dive site?

Because they don't want you to go there under your own steam or share the information with a competitor. It's definitely a thing with fishing charters, but that's the first I've heard of it on dive boats. Would these be lobster hunting or spearfishing spots?

I just saw an add for a dive charter in Florida and in it, it said that all GPS devices of any kind, including phones were banned from the boat and if they were found the captain legally could confiscate them from you. Why would any dive charter go to that length to keep people from tagging their dive site?
🤪Pirates. Definitely pirates. 🤪

In Southern California we have identified a ton of plane wrecks. Some of the coordinates have been published and some have not. We have occasionally ran charters to the sites that have not been published and on those charters no GPS etc. are allowed. Some of the sites are sensitive or still being investigated so we don’t want them to be a free for all to public access for various reasons but they are not so sensitive as to stop diving. It may be due to the wreck still being identified, human remains, and other various other reasons. If you don’t like the charter rules then dive elsewhere but their boat their rules.

Cell phone kinda. Camera for sure. My watch, yep. My PLB to.

Good luck enforcing that. Liveabaords really should pay more attention to not killing their customers, and less to safekeeping a public spot in the ocean.

Priorities. GPS ban? Heck yes. Fire prevention? Pffff, who cares.

it said that all GPS devices of any kind, including phones were banned from the boat and if they were found the captain legally could confiscate them from you.
Yeah, I wish them good luck with that.

What about PLB's? I understand the comment about "their boat, their rules"........but when it comes to me and my family....it's "my life and my rules". I would probably just go on the boat if it was a desirable operation and site and respect their "numbers" and not mark them. But I'd still bring my phone and my PLB and my Nautilus Lifeline for my own personal safety. If they tried to inspect or "search" me, then there would be a big problem because I wouldn't allow it.

In the modern era where almost every device has GPS, they are going to alienate a lot of people! I personally would not be able to go on that charter as my watch, that I dive with, has GPS and I would not leave my phone behind.

Agree with the above comments. You can set apps to record your movements even without cell reception. You could leave your phone in your bag (on deck) and record away. Are the crew going to be rifling through your bags as you get on to the boat to check for devices? It's pretty ridiculous.

Looking at teeth/fossil dives? I’ve read some pretty strongly worded bits about GPS usage for those wanting to dive off Venice Beach, but I’ve never seen a claim that they can “legally” confiscate your phone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom