Why would charters block people from using any GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can see it. Spend a few thousand dollars in fuel and months of time looking for new wrecks, find one and run a charter to it, the next weekend you see your competitor tied into because somebody logged the info and shared it.
I could definitely understand their reasoning in an area with a lot of charter operators.
I hope they turn off their AIS then.

One of my buddies always says Never share your secret spots...and there are no secret spots. I share all of my numbers because I don't own the ocean, and I want anyone who wishes to dive these sites to get the same enjoyment I do.

total BS. The reason is that if you GPS the site, you'd find their "secret" spot is the same spot we all know but the captain gives it a different name. Florida's coastal areas have been charted/mapped/etc extensively. Spots are not really secret. We all know those spots.
Ok sure if you only go on charters that take you to the tourist spots. If you are going somewhere other than spots like that, then you would know this. My friends have literally thousands of numbers, not all are slammed daily by the charters.

Do you have the numbers to the two airplane wrecks off palm beach? One is from WW2?

Fascinating discussion.

Does anyone know if keeping the discovery proprietary nets a continuing financial reward?

Fascinating discussion.

Does anyone know if keeping the discovery proprietary nets a continuing financial reward?
In my location where there are literally only a couple of charter boats running, no. In a highly competitive market, I could see it. "You want to see this new wreck I found, you can go on my boat instead of another."
I have been given numbers for new wrecks in the past with the stipulation of "You can't run charters to it"
I was fine with that as I just wanted to dive it and check it out.
I found one last year, it was found many years ago, but never released publicly. I now know where it is and will start chartering to it this summer. There is one other boat that will be running in that area this summer, I don't have any intention of giving him the coordinates. It isn't that I don't like him, it is just simple business. Same reason I have an elevator instead of a ladder. I can offer something that others can't. When the numbers get out and they inevitably will, I don't have that anymore.

I hope they turn off their AIS then.
I have never seen a boat out mowing the lawn with AIS enabled. I'm sure it could happen, but that would be a pretty dumb move.

I have never seen a boat out mowing the lawn with AIS enabled. I'm sure it could happen, but that would be a pretty dumb move.

If they're carrying paying passengers and turn off their AIS while stopped at a site, while not against the rules (assuming tonnage, etc) it certainly reduces the safety of everyone on the water.

Reactions: L13
If they're carrying paying passengers and turn off their AIS while stopped at a site, while not against the rules (assuming tonnage, etc) it certainly reduces the safety of everyone on the water.
I don't know of a dive boat on the Great Lakes with AIS. Not saying there aren't, but I have been on and around more than a couple dive boats in the Lakes and never seen one pop up on my screen.
My experience is mostly limited to the Lakes where I operate. I would imagine things are very different in other areas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom