Why would charters block people from using any GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quite a few, actually. My hit rate on the Wildcat Cove wreck is about 20%, and despite multiple attempts, I still haven't found the General Meigs. I've spent years trying to put names to wrecks, and some I'm still working on.

But you know what?

I share everything I find that's worthwhile, right down to the GPS coordinates because I want to share the adventure. I hate secrets and strongly believe information should be free and freely shared. It is only because others have shared what they know that those archives exist, and my empty holes and targets that are too deep for me to reach may be the info needed for someone else to discover something awesome.
So you know the effort and money involved with finding new stuff underwater.
It's fine if you share your own work, but why would you go and intentionally devalue someone else's?

We used to follow the salvage ships and get the marks. You have to be creative if someone has more gear and resources than you. Our cost were lower so we could hang around and wait our chance, they’d have to move to greener pastures sooner or later. No one has a monopoly.

As someone else previously mentioned in this thread - I've been on several tooth diving boats that ban the use of GPS devices.

These sites are certain spots on the ledge, not a wreck, so a little different.

Are they using tools I financially subsidized in their successful search efforts?

If you are providing a service based on public information instead of the service you offer to/at/from that location…you’re doing it wrong. And that’s not just for scuba.

I just saw an add for a dive charter in Florida and in it, it said that all GPS devices of any kind, including phones were banned from the boat and if they were found the captain legally could confiscate them from you. Why would any dive charter go to that length to keep people from tagging their dive site?
It used to be a black book of numbers, and no one was allowed to look at it. Have you ever been on a boat before? geez.

If you are providing a service based on public information instead of the service you offer to/at/from that location…you’re doing it wrong. And that’s not just for scuba.
I'm not following what you mean.

I'm not following what you mean.
It seems like people are confusing dive operators that “find” their dive locations based upon public information acquired via tax dollars (i.e. USCG, NOAA, etc.) vs. those that pick out their dive locations based upon their own equipment and/or trial and error:

- I dove with one operator that had a side scanning sonar system (not cheap) that he used to locate rocks/debris on the river bed. Based upon his experience…he could tell you “see that material there…drop straight down, work your way toward the opposite bank, and you’ll be on teeth.” Someone in that boat…in my opinion…would be right to be upset if they brought a group of divers out on another day and found someone from a previous trip motoring up to set up on their spot.

- Ledge diving operations of NC...I’m sure that any idiot could run a boat 20+ miles offshore of Wrightsville Beach or Carolina Beach, drop anchor when their depth finder hits ~100’, and go down and find something, but it has to take: 1. An understanding of where the fossil beds lie in the area (possible poached coordinates), and/or 2. Some trial and error, to find a good enough spot that divers are going to be willing to pay you ~$300 to spend a day diving off your boat.

My TG6 has GPS location when taking photos. Would they know that? IT can be turned off and I do so anyway as it's a battery drain.

My TG6 has GPS location when taking photos. Would they know that? IT can be turned off and I do so anyway as it's a battery drain.

Short of them conducting pre-departure bag and cavity searches, there’s no way for them to account for every piece of electronic gear and folks rationalization hamsters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom