Why you gotta love Canada...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And Jacob Two-Two was Two-Two books too-too many.

Geesh I hated them (Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang and Jacob Two-Two and the Dinosaur)

I liked Barney's Version tho

jiveturkey:
I'm voting for Trudeau. Our last great visionary.

Oh, he had vision all right - his policy of multi-culturism has done more to erase any semblance of a national, collective identity than just about any other mis-guided political folly has been able to do.

America the "melting pot" - strong national identity...

Canada the "Mosaic" - no National identity...

Thanks P.E.T.!

And Suzuki is a Canadian hero. This becomes more apparent when one procreates, and develops a strong inclination to leave their children some semblance of natural earth to enjoy.

Gretzky? Young? Great Canadian talent , living in the melting pot.

Best to you all,
D.S.D.

D.S.D.

Avril Lavigne? :banghead:

Jim Carey? :banghead:

Shania Twain? :banghead:

I'm not sure who I would vote for but it sure wouldn't be any of those.

No politician past or present inspires me...

Some would have you include Kim Campbell for being the first female PM. But c'mon, she got the job by default.

We have had so many heroic persons and influential scientists and researchers that it's obvious the list they have offered up is truly a product of the internet age.

It's a statement, I'm just not sure what the statement is... :confused4

DeepSeaDan:
Oh, he had vision all right - his policy of multi-culturism has done more to erase any semblance of a national, collective identity than just about any other mis-guided political folly has been able to do.

America the "melting pot" - strong national identity...

Canada the "Mosaic" - no National identity...

Thanks P.E.T.!
D.S.D.

I think we're divided but I don't think it has much to do with Trudeau's policies. His goals weren't achieved but the idea is beautiful. At the very least, we are a more inclusive society and have more respect for each other's cultures and histories. The dream isn't dead either, it just needs a kick in the behind.

Don't forget, we are a much more independent nation because of him. Our politicians today lack the ability to engage us like Trudeau did. Make no wonder people don't give a hoot about how the country is run. Too bad for us because it's our loss.

Ontario Diver:
Where else can the Canadian Broadcasting Company conduct a search for the name of the greatest Canadian...
This is a pop-TV show... a not-quite-reality-show. The slant towards modern fame as compared to true greatness is a tragedy as those watching the show might actually think this is our top 100.
That being said, if you look deep there are probably about 30 or 40 truly inspired choices on the list. A few comments:

Strangely absent: Astronaut Marc Garneau.
Missing Peacekeeper: Lewis McKenzie
Ludicrously included: Avril Lavigne & most of the other athletes, singers, actors and modern politicians (even the ones I truly like (Sarah McLachlan :) )).
Inspired scientist: Frederick Banting.
Inventor of note: Alexander Graham Bell.
Only modern politician worthy of the list: Nobel Laureat Lester B. Pearson
Military Leader: Sir Arthur Currie

Canada has been blessed with some truly great achievers, most of whom were displaced on the list by pop culture due to the manner in which it was compiled.

Great Scuba thread... ;-)

Back
Top Bottom