Why you gotta love Canada...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PatH:
Mike, from Canmore.

Hey, I know him! He lives down the street from my brother-in-law. Honest! :wink:

I'll take Mordechai Richler over Margaret Atwood any day.

And I'll take Multi-Culturalism over the Melting Pot, too. It gives us a much broader world view. Having lived in the States for the last few years, I can personally attest to it.:flag:

How did Avril Lavigne place higher than Emily Carr, Farley Mowet, Rick Mercer and many other more talented artists? That speaks a little about the demographics of the sample.

What has Wayne Gretzky truley done to benifit Canadians?? Don Cherry makes a fraction of what he does, but he gives most of it away in charity and crap. Trudeau, doesnt deserve to be in the top 100, let alone the top ten. His veiws on multi-culturism has made a generation of hippie leaders that are afraid to offend anyone, we as canadians have less bennifits and rights than immegrants. He screwed the military for along time, and i dont see any help coming for a while. You have to look at what the list was ment for, the top 100 CANADIANS, to be candian is more than moving to the states to play hockey or music. It is supposed to be a proud member of this great nation who doesnt need to run to the US to make a ton of money. 80 of the people on this list shouldnt be in the top 500.

LOL. Proof positive you don't have to be american to be a redneck. :D

Marc

You should hear Don Cherry's definition of a redneck.... he certainly doesnt consider it an insult

uwhooligan:
You should hear Don Cherry's definition of a redneck.... he certainly doesnt consider it an insult

Where he says is a redneck because "a redneck is a guy who works hard all day in the sun and comes home with a red neck."?

I always figured it was from those collars on his shirts. :D

My favorite Don Cherry moments was his statement that it's mostly only the "European and French guys" who were visors. After a big hue and cry someone did some research and proved that it was actully true.

Marc

Thats essentially it, he included Portugeuse Italian, Greek decent etc in that definition as well, farmhands to brikkies to fisherman (as long as they arent stealing Canadian fish).
About a dozen years ago I was taking part in the year end AMA/CCS races at Daytona, the Biketoberfest races. Last day we were there I was relaxing on the beach prior to the long drive home, I guess I over did it when some old cougar with a deepdrawl came up to me and said 'son, thats the reddest neck ah ever saw...'

As for old Trudeau he left a giant mark on Canadas place in the world as a truly free society, in many ways more so than our neighbors to the south, he was the one who decided the govt had no place in the bedrooms of canadians. He was also a character, noone esle would of got away with sliding down the bannister at buckingham palace. But he did start a trend of massive deficit and debt and accelerated the depletion of the Armed Forces to a level where it is still a constant source of interest for the media and opposition in Parliament. If that view makes me a redneck then so be it.

FLL Diver:
Where he says is a redneck because "a redneck is a guy who works hard all day in the sun and comes home with a red neck."?

I always figured it was from those collars on his shirts. :D

My favorite Don Cherry moments was his statement that it's mostly only the "European and French guys" who were visors. After a big hue and cry someone did some research and proved that it was actully true.

Marc

copied from cbc.ca

I'm good, but not the greatest: Don Cherry
Last Updated Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:48:36 EDT
ST. JOHN'S, NFLD. - Outspoken hockey icon Don Cherry won't be voting for himself in the CBC's Greatest Canadian competition.

Instead, the host of Coach's Corner will be cheering for "another Kingston boy," Sir. John A. Macdonald, Canada's first prime minister.

Macdonald was born in Glasgow, Scotland, but moved with his family to Kingston at the age of 5.

Cherry ranked in the top 10 when public ballots in the competition were tallied.

In St. John's Thursday to promote the opening of a restaurant, Cherry said he doesn't expect to win.

"I think I'm a good Canadian, but I'm not the greatest Canadian," he said.

The number of votes for Cherry raised eyebrows – and ire – among some pundits, following his series of politically incorrect remarks.

"I love it when we get the left-wingers going," Cherry said.

He also believes his nomination said something about Canadian politics.

"I think the people, the working-man people, made a statement here, that you don't have to be a college graduate to be a good Canadian," Cherry said.

The CBC says it received more than 140,000 nominations for the Greatest Canadian competition, and whittled them down to 10 finalists.

Over the next several weeks, the CBC will broadcast profiles each of the finalists and invite viewers to vote. The winner will be announced on Nov. 29.

Cherry said of the other nominees, he was pleased to see Terry Fox made the final 10.

However, he will be supporting Macdonald, in whom he sees something of a kindred spirit.

"He was the guy who got the trains across, got the country together – and naturally we put him down, because that's the way we are in Canada," he said.

Written by CBC News Online staff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom