Wide Angle setup for NEX-7 ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dark zone Mayan.jpgMick dark zone.jpgSLR Darkzone 17 sept.jpg 3 shots taken with 24mm and dome on NEX7 and SOLA 2000 lights

DSC09456.jpgDSC09460.jpgray back.jpgray.jpgshark.jpgFew more shots taken at Galapagos 24mm lens on NEX7 under 4 inch dome. Natural light or 2 x z240 INON

Any comment on images?
Sorry, I was out of town for a few days. Thanks for posting them. I'm still undecided. I think I want something a little wider than 24mm though.

Thansk dlutzer. yeh I didnt swim the 2 strobes in as hadn't dived there before. Went with a friends 2x Sola 2000 as there are smaller and lighter to swim with. Also we battled current with the recent rains on some swims. The myan pot is a fair way in.

The 4.33 dome is a really nice small travel WA port. I use the S16mm with the WA converter mostly, as the barrel affect and fall-off of the FE converter is more than I like. It can be handy at times though with video or shots in tight spaces like wrecks, etc. Since I shoot mostly abstractions from a macro perspective, I seldom use the WA set-up except for video. Once however, after a boatman laid my rig face up into the Thai sun with the Aquatica +10 diopter mounted, it melted the aperture of the 18-55 (in just few minutes while climbing onto the boat) so I ended up using the WA for the remainder of the trip. Got some decent shots, but given poor visibility, combined with the fairly soft corners of the 16mm, I wasn't crazy about the results being a pixel peeper person who prints large. For smaller prints and memory shoots, including video, the 4.33/Sony16/WA/FE combinations makes for a nice travel system with lots of flexibility that won't break the bank.

I tested the new S20 (which is a much sharper lens than the S16) with the WA and FE converters hoping to improve the 4.33 WA system. Corners were noticeably sharper with the WA Converter & S20, but you ended with with the same AOV, more or less, as the S16 by itself. Maybe it was a little sharper, but I lost interest after adding the FE converter to the S20 turned the corners into mush. It was obvious why Sony said the converters wouldn't work with the new 20. I returned the S20 to Amazon.

Below are some images from the S16 with WA converter. Visibility was poor and I may have introduced some refraction using high f stops, but it gives you a few images from this set-up to look at. Personally I'd love the Z12 with ZEN set-up if I was doing serious WA, but that would currently require me to rob a bank :) It's undoubtebly the HQ WA system to have for big prints and superb imagery if you can afford it. Chris Parsons did a review on it and was blown away by the results, both in the resolution and color rendition compared to the MANY systems he's tested.

I'd like to try the Z24 in the 4.33 dome someday, but the focal length of the lens just keeps me from purchasing it. However, it's 6.5" minimum focusing distance must be fun to work with on certain subjects. I like the M/WA versatility of the 18-55 for this reason. Using the kit lens in a flat port 72 does introduce CA and distortion that's probably not there with the Z24 and 4.33 dome. Be great to see some images posted with the Z24/4.33 set-up.

Be great if Sigma came out with a 12 to 14mm prime that works in the 4.33. Their lens are incredably sharp considering the cost factor.

Here's a few S16/WA Converter/4.33 port shots from Thailand

Pink Corral Landscape 1 copy.jpgWhite Rope Forest-F copy.jpgRed Corrla vertcal Abstract 2-F copy.jpgSoft Corral Forest 1-F copy.jpg

I didn't see the 2nd page of posts until I posted. Great seeing the Z24 shots.

Very nice.

Thanks.

Marshmellow, thanks for posting your shots. What lights do you use for video and for stills ? I currently have one Inon S-2000 and an old Sea&Sea YS-27. Until now I only really shot macro and some fish shots so 1 stobe was "good enough". Esp for nudis. The S-2000 is new and really haven't given it a real test. Do you think I can get by shooting WA w/the S-2000 and Ys-27 ? I am probably going for the Zeiss 12mm and zen adapter + port mentioned in another thread. Hoping to use the lens above water as well to get more out of my $$$

Squeakycat,

I go down with two Inon Z-240 and one S-2000. One Z-240 has a home-made snoot lighting system on it I made from Home Depot parts, which sits center and can be tilted in and out when needed. The 2nd Z-240 is my main right side flash and the S-2000 is on the left for fill or can be removed for back lighting since it's triggered by the little mirror that comes with it. If I need more firepower, I can remove the snoot cover on the Z-240 and have 3 flashes. This combo works great for macro and wide when I use it. Having the Z-240 on the right allows the LED focus light to land perfect on my macro subjects and turn off automatically just before shutter release. Of course hotspots from a non-auto shut-off focus light can be dealt with easy enough with exposure control. Your S-2000 has no focus light so you must use an external unit.

In that regard, I carry an iTorch Pro 4 for video and extra focus power if I need it. It sits off to the right of the center Z-240. I like the iTorch's over the Sola's because you can have charged batteries on hand and switch them out. Depending on where you're diving, you may not have the opportunity to charge between dives. The new iTorch Pro 6 is a honey with 2400 lumen output, and both red and UV lights for other work. You can pick this up at a good discount at Leisure Pro. I may sell my iTorch Pro 4 and get one myself, a very wide and bright beam. Plus, UV allows you to explore the world of UW fluorescence photography which is becoming very popular on night dives. The iTorch's have multiple power settings for focus light use, etc. Manufacturers are coming out with a slew of new and better lights. The iTorch's use a very common and affordable ION battery. They come with dual o-rings and I've never had one flood. The Z-240's even seal their battery chamber, so it's very hard to flood them.

I seldom shoot WA, so I'm not the guy to ask about WA illumination, but it's safe to say the more the better. The Inon Z-240's are powerful little flashes, your S-2000 will hold it's own as a small travel flash, but will fall short of the Z-240 output for WA, which is why I use it for fill or back-lighting. The Z-240's have been king of the hill for small compact flashes and are well built and will last a lifetime. S&S now puts out a comparably priced flash called the YS-D1 that has a higher guide # and more power for wide angle at the same or lower price point than the Z-240 and I believe it's only slightly larger than the Z-240 from what I've read. Truth is I don't know much about them, but there are some shooters switching over. All I can say is Inon's are rock solid and long lasting flashes.

Here's a thread on Z-240 vs YS-D1 on Wetpixel: YS-D1 or Inon 240? - Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

Have fun with the Z12 and ZEN. I'm sure you'll get great HQ images with that set-up. Like I said earlier, I keep waiting for an affordable 12 to 14 WA to put in my 4.33 since travel size is everything to me. Might be a while :-( In the meantime Sony's 16 and converters work fine for what I do and they're bought and paid for. I'm really looking forward to the Z50 macro release in Feb, praying it'll somehow fit in my Port 72. Wish it was a longer macro, but happy to have a real sharp 1:1 macro at last to match the NEX7 25MP sensor.

Cheers,

Marshall

Back
Top Bottom