Wide Angle setup for NEX-7 ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marshall- thanks for all the info. I currently have a SOLA for a focus light. Lucky me I've been able to recharge between dives even on livaboards in Indonesia. No trips planned in the immediate future so I think I will wait and see if more WA options appear. Like you carrying size during travel is a big deal to me.

There is a Samyang 10mm f2.8 that is expected to be released in Q1 2014. It focuses at 25cm, so I'm hoping it will fit the 4.33" dome.

I am using the 10-18mm with the 7 inch nauticam dome. Works well, but I am seriuosly considering selling it and going with the zeiss 12mm with the Zen 170mm port. Another, cost effective solution is the Rokinon 8mm with either the 4 or 7'' dome. I've had some real fun with this option. I'll try and post some pics for you.

Does the Rokinon 8mm work in the 4.33? What's it corner and overall sharpness compared to the Sony16 w/ converters?

The Samyang lens appear to be too wide physically to fit the Nauticam mini-port system. Unless you use a custom port, the lens can't be wider than 70mm and that's pushing it. 69mm would clear the ID and the 4.33. Hopefully the announced Samyang 10mm will fit and work with the 4.33.

From what I've read, the new Nauticam 7" port had a slightly wider ID to fit the Sony 10-18 and focus gear, because the lens itself was ever so slightly too wide to fit into the 4.33. Might not have worked anyway due to the virtual focal point. Many lens with potential are simply limited by the Nauticam NEX and 4/3 housing design. We're seeing more two part port systems to compensate for this. Sigma has kept their Art series lens at around 60mm, which is why I hope they come out with wider lens than their current 19mm.

Thanks for the info.

M

Mellow, I think you are looking at the old version check link the lens is very small, Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Fish-Eye Lens for Sony E-mount 28FE8BK-SE

Also be aware that this is a full manual lens, BOTH aperture and focus are MANUAL and I know of no gear to move either function.

Much better image quality than the Sony 16mm with fisheye adapter, although it would not take much to be better than the 16mm.

Phil Rudin

Phil,

Thanks for the link and info on the Rokinon 8mm. In regards to size, I was actually referring to the Samyang line of lens that Deco369 was commenting on above. Their current lens are too wide for the mini-port system and I suspect the 10mm will be too. Unfortunately, as you said many of these lens are manual focus & aperture, so gears will be an issue.

If one already has the S20 and the VCLECU1 WA converter, it should perform fairly well in Port 4.33. The little barrel distortion I saw can easily be corrected in post and the resolution appears to be an improvement over the S16 by itself. Sony added some additional elements and did a much better job with it compared to the S16. As I said earlier, I got good results on resolution and corner sharpness when adding the Sony WA converter. It was a noticeable improvement over the S16, especially in the corners. Basically you get 20mm x .75 = 15mm lens. Just don't expect the same results when adding the VCLECF1 FE converter. I was going to post 100% blow-up of the corners, but lost interest and got busy doing other things. If anyone wants, I can dig them up and post them if they're interested.

I'm looking into using Photoshop's elliptical, unsharp mask, gradient and feathering tools to sharpen soft corners without affecting the center of the photo. The gradient and feathering tools can make the transition from the corners to the center less noticeable. I think it can be done in Lightroom 5 with the new radial filter too (providing one can invert the selection), but with less control than you have in CS6.

With Sony's continued adventure into e-mount, we should start seeing some new lens in 2014.

Fun :)

---------- Post added November 14th, 2013 at 11:17 PM ----------

PS. I see that Samyang makes a 8mm FE too that's only 60mm wide. Maybe the 10mm coming will be in the same design series and be just as narrow. If they can come up with an auto-aperture, perhaps Nauticam will make some focus gears for them. Nice that the NEX has focus peaking because focusing a FE sometimes can be rather difficult to get spot on looking at viewfinder under water.

---------- Post added November 14th, 2013 at 11:33 PM ----------

PSS. Okay, now I see Rokinon and Samyang are one and the same :)

Last edited:
20130611-DSC04549.jpg20130611-DSC04580.jpg This is a couple of pics with the Rokinon 8mm 2.8 lens. it is a manual aperature (i just set it to 5.6,8 or 11) and focus ( i set the focus to infinity) Depth of field is huge, so no issues with focus. Its a small, light lens that fits in the 4.33 with no problem. Its great to play around with and gets some good results. However, I wouldnt use it as my only WA option.

20130613-DSC05183.jpg20130610-DSC04339.jpg20130610-DSC04259.jpgThese are done with the 10-18. If anyone is interested I am going to sell the 10-18 with the 7" dome. All in excellant condition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom