Will a dive operator really want to check my logbook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In addition to asking for certification, the date of last dive and total number of dives.......most operators and shops up here in the PAC NW will also ask......."when was your last cold water dive"...
The dive op in Tobermory, Ontario wants 10 cold water dives over the past 18 months kr something like that, plus dives to a certain depth limit, and AOW to dive the Arabia (about 105ft deep to the sand). Bottom temp is low 40sF.

huh, what does tech diver have to do with that? Tell the truth of course!
as a human, why would you want to or need to lie?
Lying is the root of all evil...all sorts of bad things will grow from it.

Because I'm not sure it is relevant, I'm not sure a 30ft reef bumble and a trimix dive have much in common. And some people have negative opinions of tech divers.

as a human, why would you want to or need to lie?
Lying is the root of all evil...all sorts of bad things will grow from it.
Ok.... so are you now telling me that there is no Santa?

Ok.... so are you now telling me that there is no Santa?
Santa wanted to check your log book?

Santa didn’t but a liveaboard out of Townsville looked at my diving logbook and qualification book.

Santa doesn't need to check my logbook.. He knows......he always knows! And I have some lumps of coal to prove it!!

Because I'm not sure it is relevant, I'm not sure a 30ft reef bumble and a trimix dive have much in common. And some people have negative opinions of tech divers.
ah I see...well kinda.....

you're going on a charter for a say 60 ft dive on some easy reef.... you're thinking it would be negative in some way to say your last dive was to 205 ft?
...yeah I can kinda see how, depending on the way you say it, might be taken as bragging or whatever.... just don't answer it in a braggy kind of way I suppose would be my suggestion.

The dive op in Tobermory, Ontario wants 10 cold water dives over the past 18 months kr something like that, plus dives to a certain depth limit, and AOW to dive the Arabia (about 105ft deep to the sand). Bottom temp is low 40sF.
I'm glad I visited before they instituted those requirements. Tobermory was my first experience diving cold water.

ah I see...well kinda.....

you're going on a charter for a say 60 ft dive on some easy reef.... you're thinking it would be negative in some way to say your last dive was to 205 ft?
...yeah I can kinda see how, depending on the way you say it, might be taken as bragging or whatever.... just don't answer it in a braggy kind of way I suppose would be my suggestion.
Hi @bradlw

You haven't been diving in 20 years, nobody cares how deep you dived then.

If I were you, I would take a refresher and then start diving with my newly certified family.

There was a thread not too long ago in which a diver was fretting over a dive op's question of how many "logged dives" do you have, as the diver was experienced but had not kept an actual log. My suggestion was to answer truthfully the question you know they're getting at, and not fret over answering the literal wording of the question. If a dive op asked me what is the deepest dive I have done, I might answer "I have dived to 130 feet," even if I had done deeper dives, perhaps tech dives; that's not what they're interested in.

Reactions: Doc
I usually travel with my paper log book but it's for recording new dives, not showing old ones. I like to log dives and I also like to collect stamps from the different operators I dive with. I don't usually have many dives in my logbook when I travel because it is the 3 ring binder type and I leave older pages behind for safekeeping.
I have never been asked to show my logbook. I am often asked when my last dive was. I expect this question every time so I just refer to the surface interval on my dive computer. That is better than a log book in my opinion and it also contains a logbook that has a few hundred dives in it if anybody really wants to look. These are also transferred to Subsurface for a more pleasurable viewing experience.
I am a big fan of keeping a paper logbook just for my personal enjoyment. I know this is not something that interests most divers.
Everyone should have a dive computer. If you can afford to travel and go places where someone might ask to see your log book you can afford a dive computer that can act as your log book with no additional effort on your part. For very little additional effort, you can download Subsurface and import all your dives and you never have to be without your dive log again.

Back
Top Bottom